Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] CU boat - carbide fuel

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
      Pete B. wrote:

      > *I remember them. Mine was home made from a thin copper sheet resembling
      > a crude boat or tub. Dad substituted the candle with a different flame
      > source: A screw cap cylinder with a small hole in the lid in which was
      > placed a small quantity of water and a chunk of "Carbide" [carbon
      > disulfide]--acetylene. PUTT, PUTT, PUTT, PUTT for sure. Wish I still had
      > it. *

      Nice, but carbide isn't carbon disulfide (which is a liquid at room
      temperature and won't produce acetylene by reaction with water); it's
      calcium carbide, CaC.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
        Hi Donald,

        Thanks for the chemistry lesson.

        I cut and pasted the text from a Website. I neglected to check on the
        accuracy of the terms.

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls <silent1@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
          Yep, I saw the cut/paste, but thought perhaps the correction would get
          back to the site owner.