Re: USS Monitor

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 6:32 PM
      The short answer is that there are several ways prevent metal tubing from collapsing when it is bent.

      1. Take the tubing to a shop that cuts and bends pipe, tubing, plates, angles, channels, and the like.

      2. Buy a cheap hand tool with matching interchangeable rollers and radius plates.

      3. Fill the tube with something that doesn't compress and remove it after the tube is bent.

      There is a link to a source for metal tubing of all sizes and shapes.
      The source also has bending equipment for tubing, rods, wire, etc.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6 1:50 PM
        Hi all/Frank

        I agree with all this but copper tube will generally bend more easily than brass.

        Annealing will often make tube easier to bend as copper&brass work harden.

        Thick walled tube is generally easier to bend without the walls collapsing, than thin.

        Woods metal used to be used to fill tubes prior to bending. Unfortunately can't remember what this was except it was a low melting point metal.

        A coil bending jig can be turned on a screwcutting lathe, most tube benders won't let you bend much more than 90 degrees.

        Dick

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6 9:00 PM
          > Woods metal used to be used to fill tubes prior to bending. Unfortunately
          > can't remember what this was except it was a low melting point metal.

          "Cerrobend" is a trade name for an alloy that melts out in boiling water.

          If you use solder and melt out with a blow torch, don't breathe the fumes.