CU boat - carbide fuel

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2009

      Check this link out. Some of the toys were "prizes" in ceral boxes back in the 50's. I can remember the baking soda Nautilus sub and frogman.

      NOTE: I also post a photo of the boat described.

      PUTT, PUTT, PUTT, PUTT

      I remember them. Mine was home made from a thin copper sheet resembling a crude boat or tub. Dad substituted the candle with a different flame source: A screw cap cylinder with a small hole in the lid in which was placed a small quantity of water and a chunk of "Carbide" [carbon disulfide]--acetylene. PUTT, PUTT, PUTT, PUTT for sure. Wish I still had it.

      http://philosophyofscienceportal.blogspot.com/2008/04/some-funsome-science-toys.html

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
        Pete B. wrote:

        > *I remember them. Mine was home made from a thin copper sheet resembling
        > a crude boat or tub. Dad substituted the candle with a different flame
        > source: A screw cap cylinder with a small hole in the lid in which was
        > placed a small quantity of water and a chunk of "Carbide" [carbon
        > disulfide]--acetylene. PUTT, PUTT, PUTT, PUTT for sure. Wish I still had
        > it. *

        Nice, but carbide isn't carbon disulfide (which is a liquid at room
        temperature and won't produce acetylene by reaction with water); it's
        calcium carbide, CaC.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
          Hi Donald,

          Thanks for the chemistry lesson.

          I cut and pasted the text from a Website. I neglected to check on the
          accuracy of the terms.

          Pete

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls <silent1@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
            Yep, I saw the cut/paste, but thought perhaps the correction would get
            back to the site owner.