Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Temporary New Home Page Picture

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
      From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:42 AM

      > Based solely on images of Tony Green's unit engine and boat, I got the
      > impression that it would be difficult to insert the propulsion tubes
      > through small holes.

      The usual installation is virtually the same as you suggest.

      The boat has a thin flat bottom, with a hole large enough to put both pipes
      through.
      The base of the engine unit is then sealed down to the top of that bottom,
      and will normally be in contact with water giving a good cooling action.

      I like your steering pod idea, though of course it still needs a static
      rudder to react against to steer the boat (rather than move it bodily
      sideways).

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 22, 2009

        This picture of a dragon boat was posted as a first step to changing the topic from dragons back to pop-pop boats. Maybe this one could be turned into a fire-breathing dragon boat by using remote control stuff to trigger a barbecue fire lighter. Does anybody know anything about the Lego company's remote control and robotic kits? My grandsons played with kits that had a few motors, but not much in the way of electronics and my great-grandson won't be old enough for the new stuff for a few years.

        Frank
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 22, 2009

          Sorry Frank....

          Speaking of LEGOS... Don't want to shy away from pop-pop's but the guy is talented.

          http://brickartist.com/gallery.html

          These links are close to my heart. I grew up in Manchester. My grandfather owned Amoskeag Machine Co. which was located in one of the mill buildings. It was torn down for urban redevelopment.  Luckily most of the buildings were saved when they came to their senses and realized that they could save the complex through restoration. Many of the buildings have been recycled; companies, housing, museums and shops.

          On the steam theme: Steam locomotives were built at Amoskeag as well as steam fire engines. Parts of the Monitor ironclad, I believe the turret, were also built by Amoskeag.

          http://www.see-sciencecenter.org/visitors/millyard-project.aspx

          http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/lego,millyard

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 22, 2009
            Hi Pete,

            What or who is an Amoskeag or Amos Keag, any relation to Famous Amos the chocolate cookie guy?

            old Frank :—)

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 23, 2009
              In tIn the absence of a reply from Pete, I am replying to myself. By consulting Google, I learned that the word "Amoskeag" is derived from the Penacook word "Namoskeag" which means "the great fishing place." The local folks probably decided to keep this news to themselves by deleting the N, which naturally caused me to assume that Famous Amos Keag came from that neck of the woods. Almost forgot to mention that the latest new home page picture shows how the Kitchen Rudder works.

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 23, 2009

                Frank,

                Here they are! The Amoskeag Millyard was built just below the falls. hey were the largest fabric mill in their heyday. They produced millions of yards of denim for the Levi-Strauss Co. For many years the Merrimack River was polluted. It has been cleaned up and is again used for recreation including salmon fishing. The State built fish ladders to facilitate the spawning salmon in getting around the 54' falls. Above the falls there is quite a stretch that is good for fishing, boating & swimming.

                Governor Smyth built a mansion overlooking the falls. When it was torn down in the 60's they found an old Indian burial ground.

                (N)Amoskeag Falls - Mancheter, NH

                That's it...A little bit of Manchester History.