There Were Thirty-Nine of Us Yesterday—

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2006
      Now there are just thirty-eight.
      One of our members left the group today. I don't know
      why he left, but assume that it was because of
      something that I did or failed to do.
      If other members leave the group, please tell me why
      you have decided to do so. This is my first experience
      as a moderator and I need to find out what I have been
      doing wrong while there is still enough time for me to
      learn how to do it right.

      Best wishes, old Frank

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • northriver07
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2006

        Mornin Frank,

        Don't be down on yourself. You're doing a lot of things right.You just can't please everyone.

        There are givers and there are takers. I think we all know which you are. As with anything you get out of it what you put into it. You are obviously getting a great deal of pleasure from "pop-pop". Those who complain are usually not contributors. From my perspective that is what's wrong with our society...we are a "ME" society that has to be entertained. Everything is based on material things. I have found that there is more to life than big houses, cars or boats. Based on the following the group is a big success because of you.

        SUCCESS...

        "To leave the world a bit better, whether be a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived: this is to have succeeded."

        17th Century Poet
        Thomas Stanley

        I joined the group because it brought back memories of  one of my best friends from our youth. Back in the 50's he and I used to race putt-putts on the stream in back of my house. After almost 50 years he and I have reconnected. We have gotten together on several occasions including for planning our elementary school reunion that was held last year. THANKS for the memories.

        I have also picked up little interesting tidbits of information from your conceptural posts. I, for one, find most of your post interesting and appreciate your efforts.

        KEEP UP YOUR GREAT WORK! If you enjoy what you are doing then it is worth more than what money can buy.

        Cheers,

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

        > Now there are just thirty-eight.
        > One of our members left the group today. I don't know
        > why he left, but assume that it was because of
        > something that I did or failed to do.
        > If other members leave the group, please tell me why
        > you have decided to do so. This is my first experience
        > as a moderator and I need to find out what I have been
        > doing wrong while there is still enough time for me to
        > learn how to do it right.
        >
        > Best wishes, old Frank

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Richard Jenkins
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2006
          I moderate a few different Yahoo groups. People come and go,
          interests or interest levels change, maybe they've subscribed to too
          many different groups and can't keep up with the volume of e-mail so
          they downsize. Maybe their circumstances have changed and they will
          no longer have regular internet access. Or maybe they're just going
          on vacation and want to reduce the volume of e-mail that's going to
          be waiting in their inbox when they get home. (Actually, on the
          groups I moderate, that's not a good thing to do since my groups are
          set so that posts by new members have to be approved by the
          moderator, until they post something that isn't spam and I change
          their settings. Quitting and re-joining means you'll fall back into
          that new member category.) Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it or take
          it personally, unless of course we started to see a mass exodus
          here. It seems like the group is still in a growth trend overall
          though.

          Richard Jenkins