That Image of a Boat and Half of an Engine

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2006
      The current image shows one half of an engine with
      four
      boilers of the folded and coiled round tube type used
      in Phantom boats, or looped square tube type used by
      Richard Jenkins in his Popflea.
      Linked damper plates would be used to direct heat from
      a burner to either or both of the two boilers that are
      shown in this sketch. When the plates are in vertical
      positions (black) they will heat the boilers equally.
      more or less. When the plates are tilted to to the
      left (red), they will direct more heat to the boiler
      on the left, and less heat to the boiler on the right.
      When the plates are tilted to the right (green), they
      will direct more heat to the boiler on the right, and
      less heat to the boiler on the left.
      The engine half that is not shown would be a mirror
      image of the one that is shown and would have two
      boilers and two linked damper plates.
      Each half could be controlled by a servomechanism that
      would move two linked damper plates when a stick was
      moved on a radio control transmitter. The
      servomechanisms could be set so a boat would go
      forward when both control sticks were moved forward,
      and backward when both control sticks were moved
      backward. Other combinations of stick motion would
      provide other motions like turning and intermittent
      forward and backward travel that would cause a boat to
      gradually move sideways.

      Best wishes, old Frank

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • northriver07
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2006
        Frank,

        Great concepts. It would be neat to actually try. perhaps there is a
        commercially available pop pop boat large enough to retrofit with
        your scheme. Let me know your thoughts. I can help long distance on
        CAD.

        Cheers,

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill