Micro Pop pop

  • Richard Mundy
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
      Hi all,

      Came across some very small bore copper pipe (about 1mm). In an idle
      moment I bent a coil round a pencil and mounted it in a bottle cap.
      Guess what, it worked! Unfortunately it has a habit of 'sticking' to
      the edge of the sink, due to surface tension I guess, and hasn't got
      the power to overcome this!

      Have I just made the worlds smallest pop pop boat?

      If not I recon I could make it smaller.

      Dick
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
        Hi Dick,

        Let's se, 1mm is about ,04". What did you use for heat?

        Post a photo or two...

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
        <coracles18@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Came across some very small bore copper pipe (about 1mm). In an idle
        > moment I bent a coil round a pencil and mounted it in a bottle cap.
        > Guess what, it worked! Unfortunately it has a habit of 'sticking' to
        > the edge of the sink, due to surface tension I guess, and hasn't got
        > the power to overcome this!
        >
        > Have I just made the worlds smallest pop pop boat?
        >
        > If not I recon I could make it smaller.
        >
        > Dick

      • Richard Mundy
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11, 2009
          Hi Pete,

          I still have to play with this some more.
          It really did only take about 15 minutes. I used a butane gas oven
          lighter to heat a bit of the pipe to to melt the holes for the coil
          to exit the bottle cap. I held the coil in place with a couple of
          dabs of Evostick contact cement.

          I used the same gas wand hand held as a power source for the coil,
          so it is possible that the bottle cap was blown around by the draught
          from the butane but I don't think this was significant.

          The next step is to fit it to a tiny hull rather than a bottle cap to
          give it some directional stability. I intend to solder up a bit of
          tin can to make this.

          As a heat source I intend to use a crumb of firelighter or perhaps a
          drop of barbecue lighter fluid. Another posibility is to use the hull
          to hold some meths or oil and have a small wick as Piot proposed in
          his patent.

          Will post results and photo's + video if successful.

          Dick

          > Hi Dick,
          >
          > Let's se, 1mm is about ,04". What did you use for heat?
          >
          > Post a photo or two...
          >
          > Pete
          >

          > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
          > <coracles18@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Came across some very small bore copper pipe (about 1mm). In an
          idle
          > > moment I bent a coil round a pencil and mounted it in a bottle
          cap.
          > > Guess what, it worked! Unfortunately it has a habit of 'sticking'
          > > the edge of the sink, due to surface tension I guess, and hasn't
          got
          > > the power to overcome this!
          > >
          > > Have I just made the worlds smallest pop pop boat?
          > >
          > > If not I recon I could make it smaller.
          > >
          > > Dick

        • darylcanada73
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 14, 2009
            Hey Dick,

            Good on ya'. By all means call it a world record.

            I spent some time over the last year or so looking for putt putt
            records for speed, largest, power etc. Found nothing. There are some
            myths, legends, fairy stories, third party accounts, lies, bald faced
            lies and even some damn lies but nothing backed up with video or
            something like that.

            My "world record" claim is most RPM's by a putt putt motor in a tin
            can. Just goes around and around.......120 RPM. Video available.

            Any challengers??

            Daryl.

            <coracles18@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Came across some very small bore copper pipe (about 1mm). In an
            idle
            > moment I bent a coil round a pencil and mounted it in a bottle cap.
            > Guess what, it worked! Unfortunately it has a habit of 'sticking'
            > the edge of the sink, due to surface tension I guess, and hasn't
            got
            > the power to overcome this!
            >
            > Have I just made the worlds smallest pop pop boat?
            >
            > If not I recon I could make it smaller.
            >
            > Dick

          • Len Phillips
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 14, 2009
              That's not a Put Put... That's a purr ...... or a roar ....

              Link for the video would be cool

              The aussie

              <coracles18@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > Came across some very small bore copper pipe (about 1mm). In an
              idle
              > moment I bent a coil round a pencil and mounted it in a bottle cap.
              > Guess what, it worked! Unfortunately it has a habit of 'sticking'
              > the edge of the sink, due to surface tension I guess, and hasn't
              got
              > the power to overcome this!
              >
              > Have I just made the worlds smallest pop pop boat?
              >
              > If not I recon I could make it smaller.
              >
              > Dick

            • Daryl Foster
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 15, 2009
                Len,

                Actually more of a swish. I have emailed you a video clip. Guess you can let me know if you don't receive it.

                Expect you are going to want to build one. Jean-Yves devised the simple rules and was the perpetrator of this competition. Any can with a diameter of 83 to 84mm, any height, all parts inside the can except the nozzles, nothing extending below the bottom rim of the can. Correct this please JY if I left anything out. Personally, as long as everything is inside the can I don't care what size it is.

                Go for it.........Daryl.

                <coracles18@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > Came across some very small bore copper pipe (about 1mm). In an
                idle
                > moment I bent a coil round a pencil and mounted it in a bottle cap.
                > Guess what, it worked! Unfortunately it has a habit of 'sticking'
                > the edge of the sink, due to surface tension I guess, and hasn't
                got
                > the power to overcome this!
                >
                > Have I just made the worlds smallest pop pop boat?
                >
                > If not I recon I could make it smaller.
                >
                > Dick

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Richard Mundy
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 15, 2009
                  Hi all,
                  Pop pop competition, now we are talking. There is nothing like a
                  competition to stir the creative juices!
                  any chance of posting a link to the video and putting the rules into
                  the files section?

                  An other possible competition would be pop pop pylon racing!
                  In this the boat could be tethered to a post and the speed and
                  distance travelled could be worked out by 3.14X2R. I suggest this as
                  bigger boats probably need a longer tether.

                  Dick

                  --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster
                  <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                  > Len,
                  >
                  > Actually more of a swish. I have emailed you a video clip. Guess
                  you can let me know if you don't receive it.

                  > Expect you are going to want to build one. Jean-Yves devised the
                  simple rules and was the perpetrator of this competition. Any can
                  with a diameter of 83 to 84mm, any height, all parts inside the can
                  except the nozzles, nothing extending below the bottom rim of the
                  can. Correct this please JY if I left anything out. Personally, as
                  long as everything is inside the can I don't care what size it is.

                  > Go for it.........Daryl.

                  Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at
                  http://ca.messenger..yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

                • Daryl Foster
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 17, 2009
                    Just figured out that videos can be attached........I think.

                    Pop pop competition boat video short clip.

                    Speed testing on a tether, short clip.

                    Speed testing on a tether works pretty good. Does scrub off some speed on the bigger boats.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 17, 2009
                      > Just figured out that videos can be attached........I think.
                      >
                      > Pop pop competition boat video short clip.
                      >
                      > Speed testing on a tether, short clip.
                      >
                      > Speed testing on a tether works pretty good. Does scrub off some speed on
                      > the bigger boats.

                      Great videos.

                      Was anyone here bothered by these very big files?

                      Because if not, we can post more.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 17, 2009
                        I have uploaded the subject files to a folder titled Daryl's Video
                        Files for the benefit of members who receive daily digests rather than
                        individual messages.

                        old Frank

                        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...>

                      • Daryl Foster
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 18, 2009
                          Thanks Old Frank,   I'm probably doing something wrong but I could not open them from "files."  Open OK from my mail.????

                          I have uploaded the subject files to a folder titled Daryl's Video
                          Files for the benefit of members who receive daily digests rather than
                          individual messages.

                          old Frank

                          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny"
                          <dh1@...>

                          Get the name you've always wanted ! @... or @....
                        • Jean-Yves Renaud
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 18, 2009
                            Hi Daryl,
                            I have the same problem. The files seem to be there (titles and size)
                            but I can't open them though I had no problem with the ones attached
                            to the e.mail.

                            J-Y
                            <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Old Frank,   I'm probably doing something wrong but I could
                            not open them from "files."  Open OK from my mail.????

                            bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now at

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 18, 2009
                              Hi Daryl and Jean-Yves,

                              I was still able to view the files, which probably means that some of
                              my Macintosh software converted your Windows video files for viewing
                              with a Quick Time Player. I deleted the files and promise not to look
                              at any files you upload as replacements.

                              old Frank

                              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 18, 2009
                                David Halfpenny wrote:

                                > Was anyone here bothered by these very big files?
                                >
                                > Because if not, we can post more.

                                Doesn't bother me, I have turbo broadband... :)

                                Dial-up users might think otherwise...