Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: wick

  • Raymond Bird
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
      Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
      Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
      at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
      50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
      warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
      known.

      Best regards
      Dickie
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
        "This is the any topic, no rules and not much discussion group where development of pop-pop steamboats and engines is occasionally mentioned."

        It looks like we are living up to the first line of our description. It's amazing how the human mind wonders! I hope that the younger set isn't reading our posts. It might just give them the wrong image of old Frank and the rest of us.

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Bird" <dickie.bird1@...> wrote:

        > Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
        > Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
        > at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
        > 50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
        > warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
        > known.
        >
        > Best regards
        > Dickie

      • Len Phillips
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009

          All good and the occasional reminess is fine for the sole.

          Pop Pops have been around as long as us older folk. That video was so good I reckon I could make one after that so will give it a go <G>

          Aussie Len

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
            Len Phillips wrote:
            > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
            > what a hoot

            "The Dangerous Book for Boys" is almost exactly that. Worth looking at...

          • Daryl Foster
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
              Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

              What is fore retardant, something they use on golf courses?

              old Frank ;-)

              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
              <coracles18@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
              >
              > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
              > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
              > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
              >
              > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
              >
              > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
              >
              > Dick

              > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
              > shot
              > > people.
              > >
              > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips"
              <len@>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The
              things Kids Did in the
              > old
              > > days ".
              > > > what a hoot
              > > >
              > > > Len ( the aussie )
              > > >
              > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

              Calcium
              > > > Carbide. When I was doing hard time in a military type boarding
              > school
              > > > I would put the stuff in paper bags, flush the bags down in
              > toilets
              > > > and leave quickly to avoid stepping in the stuff that would spew

              > out
              > > > of the toilets. Also good for dusting into fiber door mats just
              > before
              > > > it rains and turning screw top bottles into depth charges.
              > > >
              > > > old Frank
              > > >

              > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."
              <georgeyyy@>

              > concise
              > > than

              > the

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                Thanks Daryl,

                Finally a kind word, after years of scorn, disapproval and occasional
                detention.

                old Frank

                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster
                <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                > Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

              • Richard Mundy
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                  Hi Frank,

                  Yes, probably accounts for the bunkers,