Re: wick

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
      Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who shot
      people.

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...> wrote:

      > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old
      days ".
      > what a hoot
      >
      > Len ( the aussie )
      >
      > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

    • Richard Mundy
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
        Hi all,
        anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?

        with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
        meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
        gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!

        Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.

        Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,

        Dick

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
          Hi Dick,

          What is fore retardant, something they use on golf courses?

          old Frank ;-)

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
          <coracles18@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
          >
          > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
          > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
          > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
          >
          > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
          >
          > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
          >
          > Dick

          > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
          > shot
          > > people.
          > >
          > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
          > old
          > > days ".
          > > > what a hoot
          > > >
          > > > Len ( the aussie )
          > > >
          > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

        • Len Phillips
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
            No but I watched my granddad as a kid dig a hole looking for water . When he
            got down to the spot and hit water he decided to drop a little stick of
            Jelly down the hole to blow the bottom out an save some digging .
            Grandmother was not happy as Wallys little lot went off . It was close to
            the house and the mud that came up that hole made a hell of a mess of her
            kitchen ...

            He was a terror but I never learnt all his tricks.<G>

            The neighbour who had an incinerator close to his house and always burnt the
            dogs droppings in it and smoked the old fella out also copped it. Grand dad
            put a small stick in the incinerator and blew that bloody thing to
            smithereens ...

            All good fun in the old days "

            Cheers
            Len ( the aussie )

            <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

            > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
            shot
            > people.
            >
            > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
            wrote:

            > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
            old
            > days ".
            > > what a hoot
            > >
            > > Len ( the aussie )
            > >
            > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

          • Raymond Bird
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
              Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
              Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
              at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
              50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
              warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
              known.

              Best regards
              Dickie

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                "This is the any topic, no rules and not much discussion group where development of pop-pop steamboats and engines is occasionally mentioned."

                It looks like we are living up to the first line of our description. It's amazing how the human mind wonders! I hope that the younger set isn't reading our posts. It might just give them the wrong image of old Frank and the rest of us.

                Pete

                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Bird" <dickie.bird1@...> wrote:

                > Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                > Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                > at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                > 50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                > warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                > known.
                >
                > Best regards
                > Dickie

              • Len Phillips
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009

                  All good and the occasional reminess is fine for the sole.

                  Pop Pops have been around as long as us older folk. That video was so good I reckon I could make one after that so will give it a go <G>

                  Aussie Len

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Len Phillips wrote:
                    > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
                    > what a hoot

                    "The Dangerous Book for Boys" is almost exactly that. Worth looking at...

                  • Daryl Foster
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                      Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                      <coracles18@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                      >
                      > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                      > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                      > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                      >
                      > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                      >
                      > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                      >
                      > Dick

                      > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                      > shot
                      > > people.
                      > >
                      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips"
                      <len@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The
                      things Kids Did in the
                      > old
                      > > days ".
                      > > > what a hoot
                      > > >
                      > > > Len ( the aussie )
                      > > >
                      > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                        Thanks Daryl,

                        Finally a kind word, after years of scorn, disapproval and occasional
                        detention.

                        old Frank

                        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster
                        <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                        > Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                      • Richard Mundy
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                          Hi Frank,

                          Yes, probably accounts for the bunkers,