Re: wick

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...>
      wrote:

      "Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days"

      At least Old Frank was! He's toned down these days.

      The kids for the past 50 years drop lit cherry bombs in the commode and
      flush. That was and is both dangerous and destructive. Most of todays's
      kids have probably never heard of the carbide stunts. We did something
      a little less dangerous and less destructive.

      When we used to go out to Trick or Treat we had a couple in our
      neighborhood who snarled at us if we dared to ring their bell. One year
      a group of us pre-teens went to the pasture in the neighborhood and
      found a fresh pasture patty (cow dung) and put in a paper sack. Back to
      the grouches. We placed it in front of their concrete stoop set it on
      fire, rang the bell and ran to hide across the street. We all had a good
      chuckle as we watched the old man stomp out the flickering flames. Oh
      those good old days!

      Pete

      PS: Not sure what this had to do with pop-pops but it's fun to
      reminisce!
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
        Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who shot
        people.

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...> wrote:

        > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old
        days ".
        > what a hoot
        >
        > Len ( the aussie )
        >
        > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

      • Richard Mundy
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
          Hi all,
          anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?

          with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
          meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
          gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!

          Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.

          Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,

          Dick

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
            Hi Dick,

            What is fore retardant, something they use on golf courses?

            old Frank ;-)

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
            <coracles18@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
            >
            > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
            > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
            > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
            >
            > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
            >
            > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
            >
            > Dick

            > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
            > shot
            > > people.
            > >
            > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
            > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
            > old
            > > days ".
            > > > what a hoot
            > > >
            > > > Len ( the aussie )
            > > >
            > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

          • Len Phillips
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
              No but I watched my granddad as a kid dig a hole looking for water . When he
              got down to the spot and hit water he decided to drop a little stick of
              Jelly down the hole to blow the bottom out an save some digging .
              Grandmother was not happy as Wallys little lot went off . It was close to
              the house and the mud that came up that hole made a hell of a mess of her
              kitchen ...

              He was a terror but I never learnt all his tricks.<G>

              The neighbour who had an incinerator close to his house and always burnt the
              dogs droppings in it and smoked the old fella out also copped it. Grand dad
              put a small stick in the incinerator and blew that bloody thing to
              smithereens ...

              All good fun in the old days "

              Cheers
              Len ( the aussie )

              <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

              > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
              shot
              > people.
              >
              > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
              wrote:

              > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
              old
              > days ".
              > > what a hoot
              > >
              > > Len ( the aussie )
              > >
              > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

            • Raymond Bird
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                known.

                Best regards
                Dickie

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                  "This is the any topic, no rules and not much discussion group where development of pop-pop steamboats and engines is occasionally mentioned."

                  It looks like we are living up to the first line of our description. It's amazing how the human mind wonders! I hope that the younger set isn't reading our posts. It might just give them the wrong image of old Frank and the rest of us.

                  Pete

                  --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Bird" <dickie.bird1@...> wrote:

                  > Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                  > Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                  > at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                  > 50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                  > warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                  > known.
                  >
                  > Best regards
                  > Dickie

                • Len Phillips
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009

                    All good and the occasional reminess is fine for the sole.

                    Pop Pops have been around as long as us older folk. That video was so good I reckon I could make one after that so will give it a go <G>

                    Aussie Len

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                      Len Phillips wrote:
                      > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
                      > what a hoot

                      "The Dangerous Book for Boys" is almost exactly that. Worth looking at...

                    • Daryl Foster
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                        Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                        <coracles18@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                        >
                        > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                        > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                        > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                        >
                        > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                        >
                        > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                        >
                        > Dick

                        > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                        > shot
                        > > people.
                        > >
                        > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips"
                        <len@>
                        > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The
                        things Kids Did in the
                        > old
                        > > days ".
                        > > > what a hoot
                        > > >
                        > > > Len ( the aussie )
                        > > >
                        > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                          Thanks Daryl,

                          Finally a kind word, after years of scorn, disapproval and occasional
                          detention.

                          old Frank

                          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster
                          <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                          > Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                        • Richard Mundy
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                            Hi Frank,

                            Yes, probably accounts for the bunkers,