RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: wick

  • Len Phillips
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
      Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
      what a hoot

      Len ( the aussie )

      Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...>
        wrote:

        "Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days"

        At least Old Frank was! He's toned down these days.

        The kids for the past 50 years drop lit cherry bombs in the commode and
        flush. That was and is both dangerous and destructive. Most of todays's
        kids have probably never heard of the carbide stunts. We did something
        a little less dangerous and less destructive.

        When we used to go out to Trick or Treat we had a couple in our
        neighborhood who snarled at us if we dared to ring their bell. One year
        a group of us pre-teens went to the pasture in the neighborhood and
        found a fresh pasture patty (cow dung) and put in a paper sack. Back to
        the grouches. We placed it in front of their concrete stoop set it on
        fire, rang the bell and ran to hide across the street. We all had a good
        chuckle as we watched the old man stomp out the flickering flames. Oh
        those good old days!

        Pete

        PS: Not sure what this had to do with pop-pops but it's fun to
        reminisce!
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
          Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who shot
          people.

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...> wrote:

          > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old
          days ".
          > what a hoot
          >
          > Len ( the aussie )
          >
          > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

        • Richard Mundy
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
            Hi all,
            anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?

            with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
            meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
            gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!

            Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.

            Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,

            Dick

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
              Hi Dick,

              What is fore retardant, something they use on golf courses?

              old Frank ;-)

              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
              <coracles18@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
              >
              > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
              > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
              > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
              >
              > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
              >
              > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
              >
              > Dick

              > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
              > shot
              > > people.
              > >
              > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
              > old
              > > days ".
              > > > what a hoot
              > > >
              > > > Len ( the aussie )
              > > >
              > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

            • Len Phillips
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                No but I watched my granddad as a kid dig a hole looking for water . When he
                got down to the spot and hit water he decided to drop a little stick of
                Jelly down the hole to blow the bottom out an save some digging .
                Grandmother was not happy as Wallys little lot went off . It was close to
                the house and the mud that came up that hole made a hell of a mess of her
                kitchen ...

                He was a terror but I never learnt all his tricks.<G>

                The neighbour who had an incinerator close to his house and always burnt the
                dogs droppings in it and smoked the old fella out also copped it. Grand dad
                put a small stick in the incinerator and blew that bloody thing to
                smithereens ...

                All good fun in the old days "

                Cheers
                Len ( the aussie )

                <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                shot
                > people.
                >
                > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
                wrote:

                > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
                old
                > days ".
                > > what a hoot
                > >
                > > Len ( the aussie )
                > >
                > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

              • Raymond Bird
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                  Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                  Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                  at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                  50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                  warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                  known.

                  Best regards
                  Dickie

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                    "This is the any topic, no rules and not much discussion group where development of pop-pop steamboats and engines is occasionally mentioned."

                    It looks like we are living up to the first line of our description. It's amazing how the human mind wonders! I hope that the younger set isn't reading our posts. It might just give them the wrong image of old Frank and the rest of us.

                    Pete

                    --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Bird" <dickie.bird1@...> wrote:

                    > Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                    > Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                    > at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                    > 50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                    > warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                    > known.
                    >
                    > Best regards
                    > Dickie

                  • Len Phillips
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009

                      All good and the occasional reminess is fine for the sole.

                      Pop Pops have been around as long as us older folk. That video was so good I reckon I could make one after that so will give it a go <G>

                      Aussie Len

                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                        Len Phillips wrote:
                        > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
                        > what a hoot

                        "The Dangerous Book for Boys" is almost exactly that. Worth looking at...

                      • Daryl Foster
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                          Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                          <coracles18@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                          >
                          > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                          > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                          > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                          >
                          > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                          >
                          > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                          >
                          > Dick

                          > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                          > shot
                          > > people.
                          > >
                          > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips"
                          <len@>
                          > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The
                          things Kids Did in the
                          > old
                          > > days ".
                          > > > what a hoot
                          > > >
                          > > > Len ( the aussie )
                          > > >
                          > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                            Thanks Daryl,

                            Finally a kind word, after years of scorn, disapproval and occasional
                            detention.

                            old Frank

                            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster
                            <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                            > Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                          • Richard Mundy
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                              Hi Frank,

                              Yes, probably accounts for the bunkers,