Re: wick

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009

      You don't really need a cannon or lamp to have fun with Calcium
      Carbide. When I was doing hard time in a military type boarding school
      I would put the stuff in paper bags, flush the bags down in toilets
      and leave quickly to avoid stepping in the stuff that would spew out
      of the toilets. Also good for dusting into fiber door mats just before
      it rains and turning screw top bottles into depth charges.

      old Frank

      > Donald,
      >
      > Thanks for the carbide lamp explanation. most likely more concise than
      > a Google explanation.
      >
      > I know how the carbide cannons work but wasn't quite sure about the
      > lamp.
      >
      > Pete

    • Len Phillips
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
        Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
        what a hoot

        Len ( the aussie )

        Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...>
          wrote:

          "Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days"

          At least Old Frank was! He's toned down these days.

          The kids for the past 50 years drop lit cherry bombs in the commode and
          flush. That was and is both dangerous and destructive. Most of todays's
          kids have probably never heard of the carbide stunts. We did something
          a little less dangerous and less destructive.

          When we used to go out to Trick or Treat we had a couple in our
          neighborhood who snarled at us if we dared to ring their bell. One year
          a group of us pre-teens went to the pasture in the neighborhood and
          found a fresh pasture patty (cow dung) and put in a paper sack. Back to
          the grouches. We placed it in front of their concrete stoop set it on
          fire, rang the bell and ran to hide across the street. We all had a good
          chuckle as we watched the old man stomp out the flickering flames. Oh
          those good old days!

          Pete

          PS: Not sure what this had to do with pop-pops but it's fun to
          reminisce!
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
            Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who shot
            people.

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...> wrote:

            > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old
            days ".
            > what a hoot
            >
            > Len ( the aussie )
            >
            > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

          • Richard Mundy
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
              Hi all,
              anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?

              with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
              meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
              gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!

              Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.

              Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,

              Dick

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                Hi Dick,

                What is fore retardant, something they use on golf courses?

                old Frank ;-)

                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
                <coracles18@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                >
                > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                >
                > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                >
                > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                >
                > Dick

                > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                > shot
                > > people.
                > >
                > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
                > old
                > > days ".
                > > > what a hoot
                > > >
                > > > Len ( the aussie )
                > > >
                > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

              • Len Phillips
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                  No but I watched my granddad as a kid dig a hole looking for water . When he
                  got down to the spot and hit water he decided to drop a little stick of
                  Jelly down the hole to blow the bottom out an save some digging .
                  Grandmother was not happy as Wallys little lot went off . It was close to
                  the house and the mud that came up that hole made a hell of a mess of her
                  kitchen ...

                  He was a terror but I never learnt all his tricks.<G>

                  The neighbour who had an incinerator close to his house and always burnt the
                  dogs droppings in it and smoked the old fella out also copped it. Grand dad
                  put a small stick in the incinerator and blew that bloody thing to
                  smithereens ...

                  All good fun in the old days "

                  Cheers
                  Len ( the aussie )

                  <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                  > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                  shot
                  > people.
                  >
                  > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
                  wrote:

                  > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
                  old
                  > days ".
                  > > what a hoot
                  > >
                  > > Len ( the aussie )
                  > >
                  > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                • Raymond Bird
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                    Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                    at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                    50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                    warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                    known.

                    Best regards
                    Dickie

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                      "This is the any topic, no rules and not much discussion group where development of pop-pop steamboats and engines is occasionally mentioned."

                      It looks like we are living up to the first line of our description. It's amazing how the human mind wonders! I hope that the younger set isn't reading our posts. It might just give them the wrong image of old Frank and the rest of us.

                      Pete

                      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Bird" <dickie.bird1@...> wrote:

                      > Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                      > Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                      > at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                      > 50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                      > warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                      > known.
                      >
                      > Best regards
                      > Dickie

                    • Len Phillips
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009

                        All good and the occasional reminess is fine for the sole.

                        Pop Pops have been around as long as us older folk. That video was so good I reckon I could make one after that so will give it a go <G>

                        Aussie Len

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                          Len Phillips wrote:
                          > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
                          > what a hoot

                          "The Dangerous Book for Boys" is almost exactly that. Worth looking at...

                        • Daryl Foster
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                            Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                            <coracles18@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all,
                            > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                            >
                            > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                            > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                            > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                            >
                            > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                            >
                            > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                            >
                            > Dick

                            > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                            > shot
                            > > people.
                            > >
                            > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips"
                            <len@>
                            > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The
                            things Kids Did in the
                            > old
                            > > days ".
                            > > > what a hoot
                            > > >
                            > > > Len ( the aussie )
                            > > >
                            > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                              Thanks Daryl,

                              Finally a kind word, after years of scorn, disapproval and occasional
                              detention.

                              old Frank

                              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster
                              <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                              > Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                            • Richard Mundy
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                                Hi Frank,

                                Yes, probably accounts for the bunkers,