Re: wick

  • darylcanada73
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
      Safety! Hey we are all professionals here. Magnesium candles,home
      made butane tanks, no problem.

      The mention of acetylene explosions brought back fond memories of the
      oxy/acetylene cannon. A piece of pipe, a spark plug, a model T coil
      is all you need. Just add the gas and there is no bigger bang for
      your buck.

      Love to stay and chat but have to pour some lead sinkers. Guess the
      molds are dry now.

      -- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...>

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
        Pete B. wrote:

        > Miners also used Carbide laterns back in Old Old Frank's youth. I'm not
        > quite sure how they worked but would guess that they used an acetylene
        > wick in front of a polished reflecture.

        I actually owned a carbide lamp in my high school days -- they were
        still popular with spelunkers long after they were banned in mining (no
        flammable gas in natural caves). They put the carbide in a lower
        chamber and water above in a separate tank; a needle valve controlled
        the rate of water drip into the carbide, and the acetylene generated
        could escape only through an orifice at the center of a polished
        reflector. To start the lamp, you'd fill the lower chamber with carbide
        lumps (like crushed rock gravel) and the upper with water, set the lever
        to a position learned from experience, wait a few seconds for acetylene
        to start flowing, then put your hand over the reflector to trap a little
        gas and drag it over the wheel of the spark igniter as you pulled it
        away. A little "pop" and the flame would appear.

        The light was bright, white and far more even than a flashlight beam,
        and a filled lamp would burn for about two hours, once you had the drip
        set to produce a nice, clean flame.

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
          Donald,

          Thanks for the carbide lamp explanation. most likely more concise than
          a Google explanation.

          I know how the carbide cannons work but wasn't quite sure about the
          lamp.

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
            Hi All,

            You don't really need a cannon or lamp to have fun with Calcium
            Carbide. When I was doing hard time in a military type boarding school
            I would put the stuff in paper bags, flush the bags down in toilets
            and leave quickly to avoid stepping in the stuff that would spew out
            of the toilets. Also good for dusting into fiber door mats just before
            it rains and turning screw top bottles into depth charges.

            old Frank

            > Donald,
            >
            > Thanks for the carbide lamp explanation. most likely more concise than
            > a Google explanation.
            >
            > I know how the carbide cannons work but wasn't quite sure about the
            > lamp.
            >
            > Pete

          • Len Phillips
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
              Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
              what a hoot

              Len ( the aussie )

              Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...>
                wrote:

                "Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days"

                At least Old Frank was! He's toned down these days.

                The kids for the past 50 years drop lit cherry bombs in the commode and
                flush. That was and is both dangerous and destructive. Most of todays's
                kids have probably never heard of the carbide stunts. We did something
                a little less dangerous and less destructive.

                When we used to go out to Trick or Treat we had a couple in our
                neighborhood who snarled at us if we dared to ring their bell. One year
                a group of us pre-teens went to the pasture in the neighborhood and
                found a fresh pasture patty (cow dung) and put in a paper sack. Back to
                the grouches. We placed it in front of their concrete stoop set it on
                fire, rang the bell and ran to hide across the street. We all had a good
                chuckle as we watched the old man stomp out the flickering flames. Oh
                those good old days!

                Pete

                PS: Not sure what this had to do with pop-pops but it's fun to
                reminisce!
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who shot
                  people.

                  --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...> wrote:

                  > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old
                  days ".
                  > what a hoot
                  >
                  > Len ( the aussie )
                  >
                  > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                • Richard Mundy
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Hi all,
                    anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?

                    with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                    meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                    gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!

                    Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.

                    Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,

                    Dick

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                      Hi Dick,

                      What is fore retardant, something they use on golf courses?

                      old Frank ;-)

                      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
                      <coracles18@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                      >
                      > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                      > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                      > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                      >
                      > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                      >
                      > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                      >
                      > Dick

                      > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                      > shot
                      > > people.
                      > >
                      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
                      > old
                      > > days ".
                      > > > what a hoot
                      > > >
                      > > > Len ( the aussie )
                      > > >
                      > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                    • Len Phillips
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                        No but I watched my granddad as a kid dig a hole looking for water . When he
                        got down to the spot and hit water he decided to drop a little stick of
                        Jelly down the hole to blow the bottom out an save some digging .
                        Grandmother was not happy as Wallys little lot went off . It was close to
                        the house and the mud that came up that hole made a hell of a mess of her
                        kitchen ...

                        He was a terror but I never learnt all his tricks.<G>

                        The neighbour who had an incinerator close to his house and always burnt the
                        dogs droppings in it and smoked the old fella out also copped it. Grand dad
                        put a small stick in the incinerator and blew that bloody thing to
                        smithereens ...

                        All good fun in the old days "

                        Cheers
                        Len ( the aussie )

                        <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                        > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                        shot
                        > people.
                        >
                        > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
                        wrote:

                        > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
                        old
                        > days ".
                        > > what a hoot
                        > >
                        > > Len ( the aussie )
                        > >
                        > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                      • Raymond Bird
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                          Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                          Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                          at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                          50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                          warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                          known.

                          Best regards
                          Dickie

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                            "This is the any topic, no rules and not much discussion group where development of pop-pop steamboats and engines is occasionally mentioned."

                            It looks like we are living up to the first line of our description. It's amazing how the human mind wonders! I hope that the younger set isn't reading our posts. It might just give them the wrong image of old Frank and the rest of us.

                            Pete

                            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Bird" <dickie.bird1@...> wrote:

                            > Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                            > Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                            > at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                            > 50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                            > warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                            > known.
                            >
                            > Best regards
                            > Dickie

                          • Len Phillips
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009

                              All good and the occasional reminess is fine for the sole.

                              Pop Pops have been around as long as us older folk. That video was so good I reckon I could make one after that so will give it a go <G>

                              Aussie Len

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                                Len Phillips wrote:
                                > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
                                > what a hoot

                                "The Dangerous Book for Boys" is almost exactly that. Worth looking at...

                              • Daryl Foster
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                                  Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                                  <coracles18@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi all,
                                  > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                                  >
                                  > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                                  > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                                  > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                                  >
                                  > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                                  >
                                  > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                                  >
                                  > Dick

                                  > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                                  > shot
                                  > > people.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips"
                                  <len@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The
                                  things Kids Did in the
                                  > old
                                  > > days ".
                                  > > > what a hoot
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Len ( the aussie )
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                      mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                      mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                                    Thanks Daryl,

                                    Finally a kind word, after years of scorn, disapproval and occasional
                                    detention.

                                    old Frank

                                    --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster
                                    <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                                    > Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                                  • Richard Mundy
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                                      Hi Frank,

                                      Yes, probably accounts for the bunkers,