wick

  • Richard Mundy
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 7, 2009
      Hi all,
      I agree with len, just buy the candles. However, I can't resist
      tinkering (what else is this group about) so a few suggestions.

      1 try soaking the wick in saltpeter, dryng it then making the candle.

      2 butane power. Can buy the valves (model engineering supplies) to
      make a small tank then fill this from a lighter refil.

      3 just use a lighter with the trigger taped down,

      4 for serious heat, carbide with a little water produces acetylene
      (can also be used for welding)add oxygen, as much heat as you could
      wish for (Pop pops don't need much heat so don't take this seriously).

      5 Electric power, make a small heating element from fine ni-chrome
      wire and battery power it.

      6 Rip out the pop pop and just tape a firework rocket to the boat (a
      light hull works best)

      7 Just buy the candles

      Just off to find something to set fire to.
      Dick

      If it works, fix it till it doesn't
    • Len Phillips
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 7, 2009
        Dick as we say "You are a clever dick " ...

        Number 4 brings back memories as when a kid my Dad was a welder. Every
        fireworks night he brought home a small balloon filled with acetylene .
        Yes he waited until midnight when most others had let off all their
        fireworks and then did his thing. He put the balloon in a tin down the yard
        and we all hid as he set it off somehow and the whole neighborhood Erupted.

        No Pop Mate but geees what a BANG .....

        I had my first Pop Pop then and so yeah 60+ years ago ...

        STAY CALM AND KEEP REINVENTING

        Len ( the aussie )

        Len ( the aussie)
        Art Marketing and Sales Concepts.
        Products for anything Large Format .. Publishing ..
        Travel Tag Along Adventures ... world wide.
        www.travelandpix.com   the passion
        www.artreproductions.com.au  this started it all
        www.arthousemedia.com.au   a new direction
        www.inkjetlab.com.au your images your way

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 7, 2009

          Len,

          I can remember owning a carbide cannon as a youngster. We shot it of during the 4th of July here in the states. The cannon had a small water resevoir at is base. we places a small scoop of carbide into the resevoir with the water. After a few second we push a spark ignitor (flint) with a resulting big BANG!

          Miners also used Carbide laterns back in Old Old Frank's youth. I'm not quite sure how they worked but would guess that they used an acetylene wick in front of a polished reflecture.

          RE: candles, here's a neat link;

          wwww.videos.howstuffworks.com/science-channel/30048-how-its-made-votive-candle-making-video

          Will post in "LINKS" along with this one on on steam turbines. Not exactly Pop-Pop but related.

          Steam Turbine Car and Paddleboat plans

           Pete

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 7, 2009

            Ye Carbide was my toy ….. I put in it tins and soldered on the lid and punched a small hole in it and weighted it down in the creek ….. geees we scared a few fish …

            Then my pop pop trick … I got a coffee tin and put in carbide the size of my thumbnail then spat on it and put the lid back on ( the tin had a small hole in the bum and I held my finger over that.)

            Then with finger over the hole I waited a few seconds and help it up at arms length – lid pointing away, while someone else lit the match . Then off came the finger and up went the match and BOOM the lid went flying off into the distance .

            Had to get it just right of the sheet of flame took the hairs off your arm ..

            One carbide lamp went up vertically through the camping tent once <G>   another story … almost took Granddads head off …

            Yeah I bet OL Frank could tell a few stories <G>

            Cheers

            Len ( the aussie )

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 7, 2009
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                Safety! Hey we are all professionals here. Magnesium candles,home
                made butane tanks, no problem.

                The mention of acetylene explosions brought back fond memories of the
                oxy/acetylene cannon. A piece of pipe, a spark plug, a model T coil
                is all you need. Just add the gas and there is no bigger bang for
                your buck.

                Love to stay and chat but have to pour some lead sinkers. Guess the
                molds are dry now.

                -- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...>

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Pete B. wrote:

                  > Miners also used Carbide laterns back in Old Old Frank's youth. I'm not
                  > quite sure how they worked but would guess that they used an acetylene
                  > wick in front of a polished reflecture.

                  I actually owned a carbide lamp in my high school days -- they were
                  still popular with spelunkers long after they were banned in mining (no
                  flammable gas in natural caves). They put the carbide in a lower
                  chamber and water above in a separate tank; a needle valve controlled
                  the rate of water drip into the carbide, and the acetylene generated
                  could escape only through an orifice at the center of a polished
                  reflector. To start the lamp, you'd fill the lower chamber with carbide
                  lumps (like crushed rock gravel) and the upper with water, set the lever
                  to a position learned from experience, wait a few seconds for acetylene
                  to start flowing, then put your hand over the reflector to trap a little
                  gas and drag it over the wheel of the spark igniter as you pulled it
                  away. A little "pop" and the flame would appear.

                  The light was bright, white and far more even than a flashlight beam,
                  and a filled lamp would burn for about two hours, once you had the drip
                  set to produce a nice, clean flame.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                    Donald,

                    Thanks for the carbide lamp explanation. most likely more concise than
                    a Google explanation.

                    I know how the carbide cannons work but wasn't quite sure about the
                    lamp.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009

                      You don't really need a cannon or lamp to have fun with Calcium
                      Carbide. When I was doing hard time in a military type boarding school
                      I would put the stuff in paper bags, flush the bags down in toilets
                      and leave quickly to avoid stepping in the stuff that would spew out
                      of the toilets. Also good for dusting into fiber door mats just before
                      it rains and turning screw top bottles into depth charges.

                      old Frank

                      > Donald,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the carbide lamp explanation. most likely more concise than
                      > a Google explanation.
                      >
                      > I know how the carbide cannons work but wasn't quite sure about the
                      > lamp.
                      >
                      > Pete

                    • Len Phillips
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                        Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
                        what a hoot

                        Len ( the aussie )

                        Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                          wrote:

                          "Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days"

                          At least Old Frank was! He's toned down these days.

                          The kids for the past 50 years drop lit cherry bombs in the commode and
                          flush. That was and is both dangerous and destructive. Most of todays's
                          kids have probably never heard of the carbide stunts. We did something
                          a little less dangerous and less destructive.

                          When we used to go out to Trick or Treat we had a couple in our
                          neighborhood who snarled at us if we dared to ring their bell. One year
                          a group of us pre-teens went to the pasture in the neighborhood and
                          found a fresh pasture patty (cow dung) and put in a paper sack. Back to
                          the grouches. We placed it in front of their concrete stoop set it on
                          fire, rang the bell and ran to hide across the street. We all had a good
                          chuckle as we watched the old man stomp out the flickering flames. Oh
                          those good old days!

                          Pete

                          PS: Not sure what this had to do with pop-pops but it's fun to
                          reminisce!
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                            Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who shot
                            people.

                            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@...> wrote:

                            > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old
                            days ".
                            > what a hoot
                            >
                            > Len ( the aussie )
                            >
                            > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                          • Richard Mundy
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                              Hi all,
                              anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?

                              with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                              meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                              gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!

                              Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.

                              Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,

                              Dick

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                                Hi Dick,

                                What is fore retardant, something they use on golf courses?

                                old Frank ;-)

                                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
                                <coracles18@...> wrote:

                                > Hi all,
                                > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                                >
                                > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                                > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                                > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                                >
                                > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                                >
                                > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                                >
                                > Dick

                                > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                                > shot
                                > > people.
                                > >
                                > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
                                > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
                                > old
                                > > days ".
                                > > > what a hoot
                                > > >
                                > > > Len ( the aussie )
                                > > >
                                > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                              • Len Phillips
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                                  No but I watched my granddad as a kid dig a hole looking for water . When he
                                  got down to the spot and hit water he decided to drop a little stick of
                                  Jelly down the hole to blow the bottom out an save some digging .
                                  Grandmother was not happy as Wallys little lot went off . It was close to
                                  the house and the mud that came up that hole made a hell of a mess of her
                                  kitchen ...

                                  He was a terror but I never learnt all his tricks.<G>

                                  The neighbour who had an incinerator close to his house and always burnt the
                                  dogs droppings in it and smoked the old fella out also copped it. Grand dad
                                  put a small stick in the incinerator and blew that bloody thing to
                                  smithereens ...

                                  All good fun in the old days "

                                  Cheers
                                  Len ( the aussie )

                                  <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                                  > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                                  shot
                                  > people.
                                  >
                                  > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <len@>
                                  wrote:

                                  > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the
                                  old
                                  > days ".
                                  > > what a hoot
                                  > >
                                  > > Len ( the aussie )
                                  > >
                                  > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                                • Raymond Bird
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                                    Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                                    Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                                    at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                                    50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                                    warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                                    known.

                                    Best regards
                                    Dickie

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                                      "This is the any topic, no rules and not much discussion group where development of pop-pop steamboats and engines is occasionally mentioned."

                                      It looks like we are living up to the first line of our description. It's amazing how the human mind wonders! I hope that the younger set isn't reading our posts. It might just give them the wrong image of old Frank and the rest of us.

                                      Pete

                                      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Bird" <dickie.bird1@...> wrote:

                                      > Weedkiller and sugar were the basic ingredients of the propellant for the
                                      > Inter Wing Ballistic Missile, developed by the senior entry of apprentices
                                      > at RAF Halton with the intention of bombing No 3 (Rook) Wing back in the
                                      > 50s. Unfortunately (more probably fortunately) the development on the
                                      > warhead was arrested (better than the "Brats") and the final results never
                                      > known.
                                      >
                                      > Best regards
                                      > Dickie

                                    • Len Phillips
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009

                                        All good and the occasional reminess is fine for the sole.

                                        Pop Pops have been around as long as us older folk. That video was so good I reckon I could make one after that so will give it a go <G>

                                        Aussie Len

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 9, 2009
                                          Len Phillips wrote:
                                          > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The things Kids Did in the old days ".
                                          > what a hoot

                                          "The Dangerous Book for Boys" is almost exactly that. Worth looking at...

                                        • Daryl Foster
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                                            Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                                            <coracles18@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi all,
                                            > anyone ever played around with sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar?
                                            >
                                            > with the help of the next door neighbour I made a rocket car out of
                                            > meccano and a piece of brass tube. It exploded, I found the remains 3
                                            > gardens away, looked like it had been hit with a sledge hammer!
                                            >
                                            > Stuff is no fun now as they have added fore retardant.
                                            >
                                            > Also tried making gunpowder but never got it right,
                                            >
                                            > Dick

                                            > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Depends on which kids and old days. There was a Billy the Kid who
                                            > shot
                                            > > people.
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips"
                                            <len@>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Couldn't "someone " write a book on "The
                                            things Kids Did in the
                                            > old
                                            > > days ".
                                            > > > what a hoot
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Len ( the aussie )
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Geees there were some bad buggers about in them days ....

                                            <*> Your email settings:
                                                Individual Email | Traditional

                                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                                mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                mailto:pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                                              Thanks Daryl,

                                              Finally a kind word, after years of scorn, disapproval and occasional
                                              detention.

                                              old Frank

                                              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster
                                              <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

                                              > Frank, I really enjoy your style of humour.

                                            • Richard Mundy
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 10, 2009
                                                Hi Frank,

                                                Yes, probably accounts for the bunkers,