Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Slater's Video

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
      From: "steelbutcher" <N61W160@...>
      Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:36 PM

      >, I found that using the "gag" birthday candles (the ones you
      > can't blow out) worked very well.

      Now why didn't I think of that! Brilliant. David 1/2d
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009

        Ditto! We need to talk the manufacturer into making a squattier "pop-pop" version.

        Pete

        How Do Trick Birthday Candles Work?

        By Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D., About.com

        Question: How Do Trick Birthday Candles Work?

        Answer: Have you ever seen a trick candle? You blow it out and it 'magically' re-lights itself in a few seconds, usually accompanied by a few sparks. The difference between a normal candle and a trick candle is what happens just after you blow it out. When you blow out a normal candle, you will see a thin ribbon of smoke rise up from the wick. This is vaporized paraffin (candle wax). The wick ember you get when you blow out the candle is hot enough to vaporize the paraffin of the candle, but it isn't hot enough to re-ignite it. If you blow across the wick of a normal candle right after you blow it out, you might be able to get it to glow red-hot, but the candle won't burst into flame.

        Trick candles have a material added to the wick that is capable of being ignited by the relatively low temperature of the hot wick ember. When a trick candle is blown out, the wick ember ignites this material, which burns hot enough to ignite the paraffin vapor of the candle. The flame you see in a candle is burning paraffin vapor.

        What substance is added to the wick of a magic candle? It's usually fine flakes of the metal magnesium. It doesn't take too much heat to make magesium ignite (800° F or 430° C), but the magnesium itself burns white-hot and readily ignites the paraffin vapor. When a trick candle is blown out, the burning magnesium particles appear as tiny sparks in the wick. When the 'magic' works, one of these sparks ignites the paraffin vapor and the candle starts to burn normally again. The magnesium in the rest of the wick doesn't burn because the liquid paraffin isolates it from oxygen and keeps it cool.

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
          We can try making our own.

          Since the magic is in the wick, melting the wax off the wick and casting a
          new candle, perhaps with multiple trick wicks since they are designed for a
          slim candle, is worth trying.

          David

          > Ditto! We need to talk the manufacturer into making a squattier
          > "pop-pop" version.
          > Pete
          > How Do Trick Birthday Candles Work?
          > By Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.
          > <http://chemistry.about.com/mbiopage.htm> , About.com
          >
          > Question: How Do Trick Birthday Candles Work?
          >
          > Answer: Have you ever seen a trick candle? You blow it out and it
          > 'magically' re-lights itself in a few seconds, usually accompanied by a
          > few sparks. The difference between a normal candle and a trick candle is
          > what happens just after you blow it out. When you blow out a normal
          > candle, you will see a thin ribbon of smoke rise up from the wick. This
          > is vaporized paraffin (candle wax). The wick ember you get when you blow
          > out the candle is hot enough to vaporize the paraffin of the candle, but
          > it isn't hot enough to re-ignite it. If you blow across the wick of a
          > normal candle right after you blow it out, you might be able to get it
          > to glow red-hot, but the candle won't burst into flame.
          > Trick candles have a material added to the wick that is capable of being
          > ignited by the relatively low temperature of the hot wick ember. When a
          > trick candle is blown out, the wick ember ignites this material, which
          > burns hot enough to ignite the paraffin vapor of the candle. The flame
          > you see in a candle is burning paraffin vapor.
          > What substance is added to the wick of a magic candle? It's usually fine
          > flakes of the metal magnesium
          > <http://chemistry.about.com/library/blmg.htm> . It doesn't take too much
          > heat to make magesium ignite (800° F or 430° C), but the magnesium
          > itself burns white-hot and readily ignites the paraffin vapor. When a
          > trick candle is blown out, the burning magnesium particles appear as
          > tiny sparks in the wick. When the 'magic' works, one of these sparks
          > ignites the paraffin vapor and the candle starts to burn normally again.
          > The magnesium in the rest of the wick doesn't burn because the liquid
          > paraffin isolates it from oxygen and keeps it cool.
          >
          > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...>

        • steelbutcher
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
            I wonder if the answer is to make our own wicks using magnesium filings. We could roll our
            own magnesium wicks by dipping normal wick material in molten wax which is saturated
            with fine magnesium filings. Hmm.

            This sort of thing tends to keep me awake all night!

            Regards,
            Don
          • Len Phillips
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
              Hey you guys/gals .... The aussie is still here but nowhere near as clever
              as you on the Popp pops so I just watch ...

              BUT why reinvent the bloody wheel.. if we have a cheap candle that works
              just use it and get on with it .... I know "clever dicks"

              Have fun
              Pop Pop and sleep well .

              Len ( the aussie )

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
                Hi Lee,

                Australia!? Visiting Australia is on my "bucket list". I hope you are able to endure the heat
                for now. I'm afraid to ask about the fire situation.

                Take care,
                Don
              • Len Phillips
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                  No fires near me just water .....

                  Anytime just come and have fun and bring your pop pop ...

                  Len