Slater's Video

  • Richard Mundy
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
      I have to say I think this video is brilliant.
      Not only does it show very clearly how to create a Pop engine from
      found materials (apart fro a bit of epoxy) the resulting engine appears
      to be one of the most efficient I have seen in the short time I have
      been studying this subject.
      Thanks Slater,

      Dick
    • steelbutcher
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
        Hello Slater,

        I just finished my motor based on your design and I have to tell you that it runs great. What
        a spirited little engine! I'm just amazed at the thrust output it has. This is by far the best
        performing pop pop motor I have made. Your video is outstanding and it is clear to me that
        you have put a great deal of effort in it's production.

        For sailing on our local pond, I found that using the "gag" birthday candles (the ones you
        can't blow out) worked very well. My boat hull is a 5"x2.5" sardine tin. The tubes run
        along the floor inside the hull to the stern where they exit. Another pair of short "bendy"
        ends were installed to direct the thrust beneath the surface. It's been fun. I have a few
        experiments in mind with my next one.

        Regards,
        Don
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009

            Ditto! We need to talk the manufacturer into making a squattier "pop-pop" version.

            Pete

            How Do Trick Birthday Candles Work?

            By Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D., About.com

            Question: How Do Trick Birthday Candles Work?

            Answer: Have you ever seen a trick candle? You blow it out and it 'magically' re-lights itself in a few seconds, usually accompanied by a few sparks. The difference between a normal candle and a trick candle is what happens just after you blow it out. When you blow out a normal candle, you will see a thin ribbon of smoke rise up from the wick. This is vaporized paraffin (candle wax). The wick ember you get when you blow out the candle is hot enough to vaporize the paraffin of the candle, but it isn't hot enough to re-ignite it. If you blow across the wick of a normal candle right after you blow it out, you might be able to get it to glow red-hot, but the candle won't burst into flame.

            Trick candles have a material added to the wick that is capable of being ignited by the relatively low temperature of the hot wick ember. When a trick candle is blown out, the wick ember ignites this material, which burns hot enough to ignite the paraffin vapor of the candle. The flame you see in a candle is burning paraffin vapor.

            What substance is added to the wick of a magic candle? It's usually fine flakes of the metal magnesium. It doesn't take too much heat to make magesium ignite (800° F or 430° C), but the magnesium itself burns white-hot and readily ignites the paraffin vapor. When a trick candle is blown out, the burning magnesium particles appear as tiny sparks in the wick. When the 'magic' works, one of these sparks ignites the paraffin vapor and the candle starts to burn normally again. The magnesium in the rest of the wick doesn't burn because the liquid paraffin isolates it from oxygen and keeps it cool.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
              We can try making our own.

              Since the magic is in the wick, melting the wax off the wick and casting a
              new candle, perhaps with multiple trick wicks since they are designed for a
              slim candle, is worth trying.

              David

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
                I wonder if the answer is to make our own wicks using magnesium filings. We could roll our
                own magnesium wicks by dipping normal wick material in molten wax which is saturated
                with fine magnesium filings. Hmm.

                This sort of thing tends to keep me awake all night!

                Regards,
                Don
              • Len Phillips
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
                  Hey you guys/gals .... The aussie is still here but nowhere near as clever
                  as you on the Popp pops so I just watch ...

                  BUT why reinvent the bloody wheel.. if we have a cheap candle that works
                  just use it and get on with it .... I know "clever dicks"

                  Have fun
                  Pop Pop and sleep well .

                  Len ( the aussie )

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Hi Lee,

                    Australia!? Visiting Australia is on my "bucket list". I hope you are able to endure the heat
                    for now. I'm afraid to ask about the fire situation.

                    Take care,
                    Don
                  • Len Phillips
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                      No fires near me just water .....

                      Anytime just come and have fun and bring your pop pop ...

                      Len