new instructional video for pop pop engines

  • Slater Harrison
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2009

      Hi everyone,

      I have completed a video (broken down into steps) for making a putt putt engine and simple boat. http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/makeBoat4_07.htm   I am a middle school technology teacher and my students make these, so it might be a good way to get some young blood into pop pops (I have a feeling most of us are creaky, including me). The first section, an introduction is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZF0mjruAxM

      Slater

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009
        Hi Slater,

        I usually go to bed with the chickens and wake up with the noise made
        by apartment complex neighbors slamming doors, running down stairs,
        starting cars with no mufflers, and the like. I didn't check for email
        until an hour or so ago when all this racket waked me up. After
        reading part of your post I remembered that your interest in pop-pop
        boats began in Bangladesh and decided to use the photo of your boats
        from Bangladesh for the latest home page. I should have asked for your
        permission first, but I didn't. I have acquired a lot of rude
        behaviors during the last 80 or so years and this is just one of them.

        Thanks for your wonderful post and best wishes, Frank

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Slater Harrison

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009

          Good Morning Slater,

          I just finished watching your first video. All I can say is WOW! It is quite informative and very professionally compiled. My hat is off to you. We need more teachers with your enthusiasm. Our younger daughter is a Special Ed teacher in Burnt Hills, NY. Like you she has a great deal of enthusiasm and passion for teaching. If my memory serve me correctly Old Old Frank also has a daughter or grand-daughter who is a teacher.

          Back to you Pop-Pop work; I would like to "cut & paste" your message into an E-mail to my Clermont Historic Site "family" http://www.friendsofclermont.org/. In addition I have a Fulton's Followers Group http://groups.google.com/group/fultons-followers. We are basically 7 volunteers in the midst of building an educational display that will be donated to Clermont's Museum. I believe that everyone will be both amazed and impressed with what you have done and are doing.

          Would you mind if I share your message?

          Pete

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Slater Harrison <Sharrison@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I have completed a video (broken down into steps) for making a putt putt engine and simple boat. http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/makeBoat4_07.htm I am a middle school technology teacher and my students make these, so it might be a good way to get some young blood into pop pops (I have a feeling most of us are creaky, including me). The first section, an introduction is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZF0mjruAxM
          >

          > Slater

        • Slater Harrison
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009
            Thanks for the kind words all and of course there is no problem with using pictures, messages, links, whatever.

            Slater
            I just finished watching your first video. All I can say is WOW! It is quite informative and very professionally compiled. My hat is off to you. We need more teachers with your enthusiasm. Our younger daughter is a Special Ed teacher in Burnt Hills, NY. Like you she has a great deal of enthusiasm and passion for teaching. If my memory serve me correctly Old Old Frank also has a daughter or grand-daughter who is a teacher.

            Back to you Pop-Pop work; I would like to "cut & paste" your message into an E-mail to my Clermont Historic Site "family" http://www.friendsofclermont.org/. In addition I have a Fulton's Followers Group http://groups.google.com/group/fultons-followers. We are basically 7 volunteers in the midst of building an educational display that will be donated to Clermont's Museum. I believe that everyone will be both amazed and impressed with what you have done and are doing.

            Would you mind if I share your message?

            Pete

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Slater Harrison <Sharrison@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I have completed a video (broken down into steps) for making a putt putt engine and simple boat. http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/makeBoat4_07.htm I am a middle school technology teacher and my students make these, so it might be a good way to get some young blood into pop pops (I have a feeling most of us are creaky, including me). The first section, an introduction is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZF0mjruAxM
            >

            > Slater

          • Don & Marsha Munsey Jr
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009

              Slater,

              KOOL stuff!

              Just a thought from my Cub Scout and Cub Scout leader days and the Raingutter Regatta activity (done with breath powered sail boats in the Scouting programs).  You might consider getting two 10 ft lengths of raingutter and 4 end-caps, bolt them together and have sprint races down the 2 parallel “tracks”.

              It was always a lot of fun to blow your sailboat down the track!

              Donald E. Munsey, Jr.          dmunseyjr@...

              S/Sn42 and Hn42 - Appalachian river logging modeler

              Virginian Railway and Big Sandy & Cumberland Railroad fan

              Living in UpperRightCorner of Louisiana

              CopperSmith & Bonsai enthusiast

              I have completed a video (broken down into steps) for making a putt putt engine and simple boat. http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/makeBoat4_07.htm   I am a middle school technology teacher and my students make these, so it might be a good way to get some young blood into pop pops (I have a feeling most of us are creaky, including me). The first section, an introduction is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZF0mjruAxM

              Slater

            • Vance
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2009
                Slater, that is fantastic work!

                best regards,
                Vance Bass
              • Slater Harrison
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 6, 2009

                  Gang,

                  Thank you all for your words of encouragement (re: the pop pop instructional video. I love this group--even though I detect some smoldering pyromania under all that—ostensibly--scientific inquiry into trick candles!!! Sounds like an excuse to go burn magnesium!

                  Some of us in the group know a professor in South Africa named Jeff Bindon. Jeff just sent out a short video of his latest work that truly is as much art as it is science!

                  http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3057228933429887668&hl=en

                  Jeff created a transparent design engine and wrote an intriguing article in which he shows, among other things, that the engines that last a long time are able to burp bubbles of gas that have come out of solution from the water. http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/images/bindon9_04.PDF

                  And thank you Vance, who truly put pop pops on the internet. The pop pop pages is still such a great site!

                  Slater