The Home Page Picture,

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009

      I would like to invite members who participate via email to visit the
      group and browse through our photos, files and links. By clicking on a
      link to BUZZ'S BOATYARD you would learn that his tin pop-pop boats are
      not sold as toys as they may have sharp edges and boats are sold as
      metal replica collector items only. To find a source for pop-pop boats
      for kids, we need to take a different direction, backwards to a time
      when anything that wasn't a sailboat was a steamboat. Ironclads would
      be easy to develop because they had a lot of flat surfaces that could
      be modeled in wood, plastic or waterproofed card stock paper. For a
      while then, our course should be "Back to the Future."

      Best wishes, old Frank
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009

        TO PIGGYBACK ON FRANK'S MESSAGE...

        On October 12, 2011,
        a flat-bottomed wooden riverboat will slide silently down the Marine Ways in St. Louis, Missouri onto the Mississippi River. These Marine Ways are in a neighborhood of the city that used to be a city of its own. This new boat will bear the name of this lost city, the
        Carondelet
        .

        http://www.pookturtleproject.org/index.htm

        She will be powered by steam, fired by coal, and driven by a stern paddlewheel recessed in a wheelhouse in the aft part of a boat that will draw only six feet of water but will weigh about 880 tons fully loaded. She will also be plated with two and one-half inch thick charcoal iron on her forward casement and abeam the boilers and engines. She will be armed with eight-inch smoothbore cannon and rifled Army 42-pounders. She will be painted in the Navy tradition with a red hull below the water, black above, and whitewash on the interior, with buff decks. She will be operated by 175 men, some of them volunteers, some who will pay for the opportunity to serve aboard her, and all will be trained as seamen in the US Navy of 150 years before.

        FROM: www.wtv-zone.com/ civilwar/navalships.html

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
            AY!!  But didn't the Royal Navy give you a Spot of rum per day, and the US Navy didn't?
            Witch one would you join?    Papa Tait Seekonk,Ma.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009