Re: E-Mail from our E-Steamed Member Pete Baker

  • northriver07
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
      RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?

      Definitely not!!

      The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that Cathy and I
      spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5 HP engine is
      Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown with Carl is one
      of his design and manufacture. He made most of his own castings and
      all of the machining and assembly.

      I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks. On the drive
      back to WV they brainstormed the North River Project. From their
      experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are recommending that
      perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris boat would be a
      more practical project... a marriage of reality and a dream!

      The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a model a
      Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of Fulton's sketches
      for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the drawing from
      England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing to help.

      More later,

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
        Mea Culpa Father, Go my son and sin no more— or much
        less.
        I'm in total agreement with the Rumsey folks. I did
        mechanical design and drafting of the old fashioned
        kind done on a drawing board and can testify that 3/8
        is a bitchy scale to work with. As for the first
        image, that truss over the engine and boiler looks
        like something a second boat would have, based on
        experience with a first boat that broke in half. old
        Frank

        --- northriver07 <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

        > RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?
        >
        > Definitely not!!
        >
        > The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that
        > Cathy and I
        > spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5
        > HP engine is
        > Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown
        > with Carl is one
        > of his design and manufacture. He made most of his
        > own castings and
        > all of the machining and assembly.
        >
        > I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks.
        > On the drive
        > back to WV they brainstormed the North River
        > Project. From their
        > experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are
        > recommending that
        > perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris
        > boat would be a
        > more practical project... a marriage of reality and
        > a dream!
        >
        > The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a
        > model a
        > Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of
        > Fulton's sketches
        > for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the
        > drawing from
        > England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing
        > to help.
        >
        > More later,

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • northriver07
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
          Good morning,

          a scale of the finished product in a CAD design isn't a big issue.
          Everything is drawn 1:1. From tha model you can create drawings of
          any scale. The computer does all the scaling for the drawing.

          If I draw the North River at 150' in CAD the drawings outputted will
          be scaled to fit the drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the
          150' model.

          Let say I want to build a finished scale model that is 15' long. I
          copy my original file for the 150' model and rename. I then tell the
          computer to take the 150' model and divide by 10. The new file now
          has a 15' model. The drawings outputted will be scaled to fit the
          drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the 15' model.

          I can likewise do the same for my 3/8" = 1' scale model. I think
          that you are looking at 3/8 scale as 3/8 x 150'. See the modelers
          scale sheet under files.