Re: E-Mail from our E-Steamed Member Pete Baker

  • northriver07
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
      Morning Frank-

      RE: Missing photo...

      The photo is there...senior moment? The new photo is in the "North
      River Project" folder. When you look at the thumbprints there are 16
      displayed. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it show "1-
      16" etc. Click "next and you will display 17-21 including the Carl +
      engine.

      RE: Lee's Mills...

      You said "don't fall overboard"

      It wouldn't be the first time that I have been all wet!

      I spent many hours on Winnepesaukee in the 50's & 60's fishing,
      swimming, scuba-diving, water-skiing, boating and just plain old
      relaxing. I grew up in NH. Life is full of memories!

      RE: North River Project...

      Lots of good suggestions from steamboat group yesterday, especially
      the Rumseian folks. I'll post updates. ENJOY.

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
        Thanks for the heads-up Pete. I never noticed that bit
        about 1-16 of 21,or just 20, before— perhaps because
        my computer mouse doesn't have a nice little wheel for
        scrolling way down. You mentioned a boat about 30'
        long and powered by a 10 HP steam engine in the e-mail
        note I used for the picture on the home page and a 5
        HP engine in a 23" boat when you wrote about having
        downloaded a picture of Carl and his engine— another
        senior moment perhaps? :-) old Frank

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • northriver07
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
          RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?

          Definitely not!!

          The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that Cathy and I
          spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5 HP engine is
          Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown with Carl is one
          of his design and manufacture. He made most of his own castings and
          all of the machining and assembly.

          I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks. On the drive
          back to WV they brainstormed the North River Project. From their
          experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are recommending that
          perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris boat would be a
          more practical project... a marriage of reality and a dream!

          The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a model a
          Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of Fulton's sketches
          for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the drawing from
          England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing to help.

          More later,

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
            Mea Culpa Father, Go my son and sin no more— or much
            less.
            I'm in total agreement with the Rumsey folks. I did
            mechanical design and drafting of the old fashioned
            kind done on a drawing board and can testify that 3/8
            is a bitchy scale to work with. As for the first
            image, that truss over the engine and boiler looks
            like something a second boat would have, based on
            experience with a first boat that broke in half. old
            Frank

            --- northriver07 <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

            > RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?
            >
            > Definitely not!!
            >
            > The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that
            > Cathy and I
            > spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5
            > HP engine is
            > Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown
            > with Carl is one
            > of his design and manufacture. He made most of his
            > own castings and
            > all of the machining and assembly.
            >
            > I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks.
            > On the drive
            > back to WV they brainstormed the North River
            > Project. From their
            > experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are
            > recommending that
            > perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris
            > boat would be a
            > more practical project... a marriage of reality and
            > a dream!
            >
            > The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a
            > model a
            > Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of
            > Fulton's sketches
            > for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the
            > drawing from
            > England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing
            > to help.
            >
            > More later,

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • northriver07
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
              Good morning,

              a scale of the finished product in a CAD design isn't a big issue.
              Everything is drawn 1:1. From tha model you can create drawings of
              any scale. The computer does all the scaling for the drawing.

              If I draw the North River at 150' in CAD the drawings outputted will
              be scaled to fit the drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the
              150' model.

              Let say I want to build a finished scale model that is 15' long. I
              copy my original file for the 150' model and rename. I then tell the
              computer to take the 150' model and divide by 10. The new file now
              has a 15' model. The drawings outputted will be scaled to fit the
              drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the 15' model.

              I can likewise do the same for my 3/8" = 1' scale model. I think
              that you are looking at 3/8 scale as 3/8 x 150'. See the modelers
              scale sheet under files.