Re: E-Mail from our E-Steamed Member Pete Baker

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
      Hey right back at you Pete,

      Re: "where would we be without them" the answer would
      have to be "back where we were before we had them"
      meaning long-distance phone calls or sending telegrams
      at the Western Union place, which would require me to
      limit this message to ten words for the sake of
      economy!
      I looked for that new picture of your friend Carl and
      the engine used in Saucey, but didn't find it in your
      three photos albums, for "JOHN FITCH," the "RUMSEY" or
      The "North River Project." There's a photo of a "3x4
      Kriegeskotte engine in a pdf with this name in the
      files section, but it was there before you posted your
      message about Carl and Saucey.
      Best wishes and don't fall overboard at during "the
      world's largest and longest steamboat meet." old Frank

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • northriver07
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
        Morning Frank-

        RE: Missing photo...

        The photo is there...senior moment? The new photo is in the "North
        River Project" folder. When you look at the thumbprints there are 16
        displayed. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it show "1-
        16" etc. Click "next and you will display 17-21 including the Carl +
        engine.

        RE: Lee's Mills...

        You said "don't fall overboard"

        It wouldn't be the first time that I have been all wet!

        I spent many hours on Winnepesaukee in the 50's & 60's fishing,
        swimming, scuba-diving, water-skiing, boating and just plain old
        relaxing. I grew up in NH. Life is full of memories!

        RE: North River Project...

        Lots of good suggestions from steamboat group yesterday, especially
        the Rumseian folks. I'll post updates. ENJOY.

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
          Thanks for the heads-up Pete. I never noticed that bit
          about 1-16 of 21,or just 20, before— perhaps because
          my computer mouse doesn't have a nice little wheel for
          scrolling way down. You mentioned a boat about 30'
          long and powered by a 10 HP steam engine in the e-mail
          note I used for the picture on the home page and a 5
          HP engine in a 23" boat when you wrote about having
          downloaded a picture of Carl and his engine— another
          senior moment perhaps? :-) old Frank

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • northriver07
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
            RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?

            Definitely not!!

            The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that Cathy and I
            spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5 HP engine is
            Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown with Carl is one
            of his design and manufacture. He made most of his own castings and
            all of the machining and assembly.

            I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks. On the drive
            back to WV they brainstormed the North River Project. From their
            experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are recommending that
            perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris boat would be a
            more practical project... a marriage of reality and a dream!

            The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a model a
            Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of Fulton's sketches
            for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the drawing from
            England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing to help.

            More later,

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
              Mea Culpa Father, Go my son and sin no more— or much
              less.
              I'm in total agreement with the Rumsey folks. I did
              mechanical design and drafting of the old fashioned
              kind done on a drawing board and can testify that 3/8
              is a bitchy scale to work with. As for the first
              image, that truss over the engine and boiler looks
              like something a second boat would have, based on
              experience with a first boat that broke in half. old
              Frank

              --- northriver07 <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

              > RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?
              >
              > Definitely not!!
              >
              > The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that
              > Cathy and I
              > spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5
              > HP engine is
              > Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown
              > with Carl is one
              > of his design and manufacture. He made most of his
              > own castings and
              > all of the machining and assembly.
              >
              > I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks.
              > On the drive
              > back to WV they brainstormed the North River
              > Project. From their
              > experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are
              > recommending that
              > perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris
              > boat would be a
              > more practical project... a marriage of reality and
              > a dream!
              >
              > The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a
              > model a
              > Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of
              > Fulton's sketches
              > for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the
              > drawing from
              > England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing
              > to help.
              >
              > More later,

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • northriver07
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                Good morning,

                a scale of the finished product in a CAD design isn't a big issue.
                Everything is drawn 1:1. From tha model you can create drawings of
                any scale. The computer does all the scaling for the drawing.

                If I draw the North River at 150' in CAD the drawings outputted will
                be scaled to fit the drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the
                150' model.

                Let say I want to build a finished scale model that is 15' long. I
                copy my original file for the 150' model and rename. I then tell the
                computer to take the 150' model and divide by 10. The new file now
                has a 15' model. The drawings outputted will be scaled to fit the
                drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the 15' model.

                I can likewise do the same for my 3/8" = 1' scale model. I think
                that you are looking at 3/8 scale as 3/8 x 150'. See the modelers
                scale sheet under files.