Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
      Hi Dick,

      Your "messybeast" link reminded me of the year (1965) that I was in
      Argentia, Nfld. I was a Navy Seabee stationed at the NAVFAC site. It
      was like stepping back 100 years in time. I can recall seeing farmers
      with their 2 wheeled milk carts being pulled down the gravel road in
      Placentia by Newfoundland dogs. The Newfies were like a coal black
      St. Bernard. I also remember Fish Mongers on the street corner in St
      Johns with their rubber boot and apron. Great memories!

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      <coracles18@...> wrote:

      > Hi Frank,
      > not seen anything like this in the UK, apparently its illegal -
      most
      > things are.
      >
      > http://www.messybeast.com/history/dogcarts.htm
      >
      > Nearest thing is Husky racing, this is on private land and
      > the 'sleds' have wheels in summer!
      >
      > Dick

      > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Go to http://www.dogscooter.com/about.htm for information about a
      > > better way to let dogs pull you around.
      > >
      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      > > <coracles18@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Pete,
      > > > how often in life do we come across a new invention and think,
      > > > thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing
      anything
      > > > about it!
      > > > A couple of years ago I invented PTFE (slippery)boots for dogs
      > that
      > > > pull their owners around. I have no idea if it would work, but
      > you
      > > > saw it here first :)
      > > > I have been thinking about the Newcomen atmospheric engine.
      > Because
      > > > of inefficiency it was supersceeded by Watts engine.
      > > > The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if
      > you
      > > > power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that
      > relevant!
      > > >
      > > > Dick
      > > >

      > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."
      <georgeyyy@>

      Radarange

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 10, 2009

          Here's a link to the Little Engine Group.

          Perhap you will find some additional ideas for projects or a design of your own.

          Pete

          > > Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
          > > development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen.
          >
          > The Stirling engine has had two kinds of development:
          > - reduction in losses by refinement of materials, bearings, clearances
          > masses etc
          > - increase in power per unit volume by using denser media than atmospheric
          > air (like compressed air or other gases)
          >
          > The Newcomen engine is incapable of increased power per unit volume since
          > it is by definition limited to atmospheric pressure. Therefore as soon as
          > the steam engine came along, there was no longer any point in messing
          > around with the losses.
          >
          > Toy Stirling engines are great fun, and I expect a toy Newcomen engine
          > would be even more so, given a constant supply of cold water.
          >
          > David 1/2d

        • Richard Mundy
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
            Hi David,
            I am still a bit new at this. I have played around with pop pops some
            time ago but never got into the theory until now and there is a long
            way to go, its a long time since I did physics! The attraction of the
            pop pop is its utter simplicity, and the Newcomen does not need high
            pressure steam.
            I doubt either engine will ever change the world but it looks like
            fun trying.
            Dick

            <dh1@...> wrote:

> [...]
          • Richard Mundy
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
              Hi Pete,
              thanks for this link, I followed it up and joined.
              This will be incredibly useful from the engineering side. The area of
              experiment is narrowing down to the pop pop and the Newcomen.
              I haven't started cutting metal yet, but I intend starting with some
              established pop pop designs.
              Glad you liked the dog cart page.
              Dick