Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

  • Richard Mundy
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
      Hi Frank,
      not seen anything like this in the UK, apparently its illegal - most
      things are.

      http://www.messybeast.com/history/dogcarts.htm

      Nearest thing is Husky racing, this is on private land and
      the 'sleds' have wheels in summer!

      Dick

      <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

      > Go to http://www.dogscooter.com/about.htm for information about a
      > better way to let dogs pull you around.
      >
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      > <coracles18@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Pete,
      > > how often in life do we come across a new invention and think, I
      > > thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing anything
      > > about it!
      > > A couple of years ago I invented PTFE (slippery)boots for dogs
      that
      > > pull their owners around. I have no idea if it would work, but
      you
      > > saw it here first :)
      > > I have been thinking about the Newcomen atmospheric engine.
      Because
      > > of inefficiency it was supersceeded by Watts engine.
      > > The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if
      you
      > > power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that
      relevant!

      > > Dick
      > >

      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B." <georgeyyy@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Dick,
      > > >
      > > > I look back at my youth when I first saw the Raytheon Radarange
      at a
      > > > Science Show in New Hampshire. I saw a egg cooked on a paper
      plate.
      > > > believe that was in 1947. My grandfather took me to the show as
      a 4
      > > or 5
      > > > year old. A few years later TV dinners hit the scene. They were
      in
      > > the
      > > > aluminum trays and were rather basic meals. At that time I
      might
      > > have
      > > > been 10 or 11 years old. My memory took me back the the
      Radarange
      > > and
      > > > how it might been used with TV dinners. Although I hadn't
      thought of
      > > > replacing the aluminum tray with a non metallic one my young
      mind
      > > had
      > > > tied the microwave to the frozen meals. If I had been older or
      able
      > > > convince an adult of the potential I might have been one of
      those
      > > > inovators.
      > > >
      > > > On the Rumsey steamboat. Ben Franklin on a voyage back to the
      Us
      > > from
      > > > France came up with the jet boat idea, Franklin's sketches show
      > > hand
      > > > pump. Rumsey replaced the hand pump with a steam engine.
      > > >
      > > > http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html
      > > > <http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html>
      > > >
      > > > For you History buffs; the 16th President of the US had a
      patent on
      > > > boat design. It's not steam related yet interesting.
      > > >
      > > > http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-
      inventor/
      > > > <http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-
      > > inventor/>
      > > >
      > > > Lincoln's idea never grew but Franklin's certainly did. We now
      have
      > > > Buehler Turbocraft boats
      > > >
      > > > http://www.uncommonboats.com/website/article.asp?id=465
      > > > <http://www.uncommonboats.com/website/article.asp?id=465>
      > > >
      > > > and the jet skis. That's it...
      > > >
      > > > Pete
      > > >

      > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"

      > > the

      > > > because
      > > as to
      Similarly
      > > how

    • Richard Mundy
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
        Hi Donald,

        I take your point about efficiency and solar power, I was thinking of
        the sun as unlimited power, which it is, but as you imply the density
        of that power when it reaches earth is fairly low.
        I also agree about the Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
        development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen. I also have to
        think of my limited workshop and budget!

        Dick

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls
        <silent1@...> wrote:

        > Richard Mundy wrote:
        > > Hi Pete,
        > > how often in life do we come across a new invention and think, I
        > > thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing anything
        > > about it!
        >
        > I had the idea for a lifetime electronic watch in 1977. Electronic
        > watches were brand new then, it took Casio fifteen years to
        actually
        > start selling a watch like I envisioned, in which an "automatic" or
        > self-winding mechanical movement generates the tiny amount of
        > electricity needed to run the electronic watch. I also envisioned
        the
        > laptop computer with fold-down screen about that same time frame.
        I'd
        > have "invented" either one in a heartbeat, if I'd had a few
        thousand
        > (late 1970s) dollars to toss around...
        >
        > > The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if
        you
        > > power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that
        relevant!

        > Efficiency is *more* important with solar power, because the power
        > density of a given collector is so low. The low tech aspect,
        however,
        > applies even more strongly to a Stirling engine (leftover food cans
        and
        > a rubber balloon?), which will give better efficiency than a
        Newcomen

        http://silent1.home.netcom.com

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
          Hi Dick,

          Your "messybeast" link reminded me of the year (1965) that I was in
          Argentia, Nfld. I was a Navy Seabee stationed at the NAVFAC site. It
          was like stepping back 100 years in time. I can recall seeing farmers
          with their 2 wheeled milk carts being pulled down the gravel road in
          Placentia by Newfoundland dogs. The Newfies were like a coal black
          St. Bernard. I also remember Fish Mongers on the street corner in St
          Johns with their rubber boot and apron. Great memories!

          Pete

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 10, 2009

              Here's a link to the Little Engine Group.

              Perhap you will find some additional ideas for projects or a design of your own.

              Pete

              > > Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
              > > development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen.
              >
              > The Stirling engine has had two kinds of development:
              > - reduction in losses by refinement of materials, bearings, clearances
              > masses etc
              > - increase in power per unit volume by using denser media than atmospheric
              > air (like compressed air or other gases)
              >
              > The Newcomen engine is incapable of increased power per unit volume since
              > it is by definition limited to atmospheric pressure. Therefore as soon as
              > the steam engine came along, there was no longer any point in messing
              > around with the losses.
              >
              > Toy Stirling engines are great fun, and I expect a toy Newcomen engine
              > would be even more so, given a constant supply of cold water.
              >
              > David 1/2d

            • Richard Mundy
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
                Hi David,
                I am still a bit new at this. I have played around with pop pops some
                time ago but never got into the theory until now and there is a long
                way to go, its a long time since I did physics! The attraction of the
                pop pop is its utter simplicity, and the Newcomen does not need high
                pressure steam.
                I doubt either engine will ever change the world but it looks like
                fun trying.
                Dick

                <dh1@...> wrote:

> [...]
              • Richard Mundy
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
                  Hi Pete,
                  thanks for this link, I followed it up and joined.
                  This will be incredibly useful from the engineering side. The area of
                  experiment is narrowing down to the pop pop and the Newcomen.
                  I haven't started cutting metal yet, but I intend starting with some
                  established pop pop designs.
                  Glad you liked the dog cart page.
                  Dick