Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009

      Dick,

      I look back at my youth when I first saw the Raytheon Radarange at a Science Show in New Hampshire. I saw a egg cooked on a paper plate. I believe that was in 1947. My grandfather took me to the show as a 4 or 5 year old. A few years later TV dinners hit the scene. They were in the aluminum trays and were rather basic meals. At that time I might have been 10 or 11 years old. My memory took me back the the Radarange and how it might been used with TV dinners. Although I hadn't thought of replacing the aluminum tray with a non metallic one my young mind had tied the microwave to the frozen meals. If I had been older or able to convince an adult of the potential I might have been one of those inovators.

      On the Rumsey steamboat. Ben Franklin on a voyage back to the Us from France came up with the jet boat idea, Franklin's sketches show a hand pump. Rumsey replaced the hand pump with a steam engine.

      http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html

      For you History buffs; the 16th President of the US had a patent on a boat design. It's not steam related yet interesting.

      http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-inventor/

      Lincoln's idea never grew but Franklin's certainly did. We now have Buehler Turbocraft boats

      http://www.uncommonboats.com/website/article.asp?id=465

      and the jet skis. That's it...

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy" <coracles18@...> wrote:

      > I could also add how many promising inventions never got out of the
      > garden shed
      > (sorry to go on)
      > Dick
      >

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      > coracles18@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I can add to this, how much technology etc has been forgotten because
      > > it is no longer relevant.
      > > An example is the Ironbridge, Shropshire, England.
      > > It is known how the sections were cast, but it is speculation as to
      > how
      > > they actually assembled these to create the bridge. Similarly how
      > were
      > > the pyramids or stonehenge built?
      > > Dick

    • Richard Mundy
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 7, 2009
        Hi Pete,
        how often in life do we come across a new invention and think, I
        thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing anything
        about it!
        A couple of years ago I invented PTFE (slippery)boots for dogs that
        pull their owners around. I have no idea if it would work, but you
        saw it here first :)
        I have been thinking about the Newcomen atmospheric engine. Because
        of inefficiency it was supersceeded by Watts engine.
        The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if you
        power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that relevant!

        Dick

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 7, 2009
          Go to http://www.dogscooter.com/about.htm for information about a
          better way to let dogs pull you around.

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 8, 2009
            Richard Mundy wrote:
            > Hi Pete,
            > how often in life do we come across a new invention and think, I
            > thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing anything
            > about it!

            I had the idea for a lifetime electronic watch in 1977. Electronic
            watches were brand new then, it took Casio fifteen years to actually
            start selling a watch like I envisioned, in which an "automatic" or
            self-winding mechanical movement generates the tiny amount of
            electricity needed to run the electronic watch. I also envisioned the
            laptop computer with fold-down screen about that same time frame. I'd
            have "invented" either one in a heartbeat, if I'd had a few thousand
            (late 1970s) dollars to toss around...

            > The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if you
            > power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that relevant!

            Efficiency is *more* important with solar power, because the power
            density of a given collector is so low. The low tech aspect, however,
            applies even more strongly to a Stirling engine (leftover food cans and
            a rubber balloon?), which will give better efficiency than a Newcomen
            steam engine and do it on a much lower working temperature (a reasonably
            well designed Stirling engine needn't get anywhere near the boiling
            point of water).

          • Richard Mundy
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
              Hi Frank,
              not seen anything like this in the UK, apparently its illegal - most
              things are.

              http://www.messybeast.com/history/dogcarts.htm

              Nearest thing is Husky racing, this is on private land and
              the 'sleds' have wheels in summer!

              Dick

              <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > inovators.
              > > >
              > > > On the Rumsey steamboat. Ben Franklin on a voyage back to the
              Us
              > > from
              > > > France came up with the jet boat idea, Franklin's sketches show
              > > hand
              > > > pump. Rumsey replaced the hand pump with a steam engine.
              > > >
              > > > http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html
              > > > <http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html>
              > > >
              > > > For you History buffs; the 16th President of the US had a
              patent on
              > > > boat design. It's not steam related yet interesting.
              > > >
              > > > http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-
              inventor/
              > > > <http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-
              > > inventor/>
              > > >
              > > > Lincoln's idea never grew but Franklin's certainly did. We now

            • Richard Mundy
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                Hi Donald,

                I take your point about efficiency and solar power, I was thinking of
                the sun as unlimited power, which it is, but as you imply the density
                of that power when it reaches earth is fairly low.
                I also agree about the Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
                development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen. I also have to
                think of my limited workshop and budget!

                Dick

                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls

                http://silent1.home.netcom.com

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                  Hi Dick,

                  Your "messybeast" link reminded me of the year (1965) that I was in
                  Argentia, Nfld. I was a Navy Seabee stationed at the NAVFAC site. It
                  was like stepping back 100 years in time. I can recall seeing farmers
                  with their 2 wheeled milk carts being pulled down the gravel road in
                  Placentia by Newfoundland dogs. The Newfies were like a coal black
                  St. Bernard. I also remember Fish Mongers on the street corner in St
                  Johns with their rubber boot and apron. Great memories!

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 10, 2009

                      Here's a link to the Little Engine Group.

                      Perhap you will find some additional ideas for projects or a design of your own.

                      Pete

                      > > Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
                      > > development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen.
                      >
                      > The Stirling engine has had two kinds of development:
                      > - reduction in losses by refinement of materials, bearings, clearances
                      > masses etc
                      > - increase in power per unit volume by using denser media than atmospheric
                      > air (like compressed air or other gases)
                      >
                      > The Newcomen engine is incapable of increased power per unit volume since
                      > it is by definition limited to atmospheric pressure. Therefore as soon as
                      > the steam engine came along, there was no longer any point in messing
                      > around with the losses.
                      >
                      > Toy Stirling engines are great fun, and I expect a toy Newcomen engine
                      > would be even more so, given a constant supply of cold water.
                      >
                      > David 1/2d

                    • Richard Mundy
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
                        Hi David,
                        I am still a bit new at this. I have played around with pop pops some
                        time ago but never got into the theory until now and there is a long
                        way to go, its a long time since I did physics! The attraction of the
                        pop pop is its utter simplicity, and the Newcomen does not need high
                        pressure steam.
                        I doubt either engine will ever change the world but it looks like
                        fun trying.
                        Dick

                        <dh1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      • Richard Mundy
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
                          Hi Pete,
                          thanks for this link, I followed it up and joined.
                          This will be incredibly useful from the engineering side. The area of
                          experiment is narrowing down to the pop pop and the Newcomen.
                          I haven't started cutting metal yet, but I intend starting with some
                          established pop pop designs.
                          Glad you liked the dog cart page.
                          Dick