Re: E-Mail from our E-Steamed Member Pete Baker

  • northriver07
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2006
      Hey Frank,

      Isn't the electronic world amazing? Digital photos, electronic mail,
      where would we be without them. I downloaded a new picture of Carl
      and his engine used in his boat Saucey. It's rated at 5 HP. I
      couldn't believe how easily it propelled a 23" boat, with 6 people
      on board, through the water.

      I'm planning on driving to Lee's Mills, NH in August for the world's
      largest and longest steamboat meet. I've got bitten by the bug!

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
        Hey right back at you Pete,

        Re: "where would we be without them" the answer would
        have to be "back where we were before we had them"
        meaning long-distance phone calls or sending telegrams
        at the Western Union place, which would require me to
        limit this message to ten words for the sake of
        economy!
        I looked for that new picture of your friend Carl and
        the engine used in Saucey, but didn't find it in your
        three photos albums, for "JOHN FITCH," the "RUMSEY" or
        The "North River Project." There's a photo of a "3x4
        Kriegeskotte engine in a pdf with this name in the
        files section, but it was there before you posted your
        message about Carl and Saucey.
        Best wishes and don't fall overboard at during "the
        world's largest and longest steamboat meet." old Frank

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • northriver07
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
          Morning Frank-

          RE: Missing photo...

          The photo is there...senior moment? The new photo is in the "North
          River Project" folder. When you look at the thumbprints there are 16
          displayed. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it show "1-
          16" etc. Click "next and you will display 17-21 including the Carl +
          engine.

          RE: Lee's Mills...

          You said "don't fall overboard"

          It wouldn't be the first time that I have been all wet!

          I spent many hours on Winnepesaukee in the 50's & 60's fishing,
          swimming, scuba-diving, water-skiing, boating and just plain old
          relaxing. I grew up in NH. Life is full of memories!

          RE: North River Project...

          Lots of good suggestions from steamboat group yesterday, especially
          the Rumseian folks. I'll post updates. ENJOY.

          Pete

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
            Thanks for the heads-up Pete. I never noticed that bit
            about 1-16 of 21,or just 20, before— perhaps because
            my computer mouse doesn't have a nice little wheel for
            scrolling way down. You mentioned a boat about 30'
            long and powered by a 10 HP steam engine in the e-mail
            note I used for the picture on the home page and a 5
            HP engine in a 23" boat when you wrote about having
            downloaded a picture of Carl and his engine— another
            senior moment perhaps? :-) old Frank

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • northriver07
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
              RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?

              Definitely not!!

              The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that Cathy and I
              spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5 HP engine is
              Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown with Carl is one
              of his design and manufacture. He made most of his own castings and
              all of the machining and assembly.

              I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks. On the drive
              back to WV they brainstormed the North River Project. From their
              experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are recommending that
              perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris boat would be a
              more practical project... a marriage of reality and a dream!

              The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a model a
              Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of Fulton's sketches
              for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the drawing from
              England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing to help.

              More later,

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
                Mea Culpa Father, Go my son and sin no more— or much
                less.
                I'm in total agreement with the Rumsey folks. I did
                mechanical design and drafting of the old fashioned
                kind done on a drawing board and can testify that 3/8
                is a bitchy scale to work with. As for the first
                image, that truss over the engine and boiler looks
                like something a second boat would have, based on
                experience with a first boat that broke in half. old
                Frank

                --- northriver07 <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

                > RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?
                >
                > Definitely not!!
                >
                > The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that
                > Cathy and I
                > spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5
                > HP engine is
                > Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown
                > with Carl is one
                > of his design and manufacture. He made most of his
                > own castings and
                > all of the machining and assembly.
                >
                > I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks.
                > On the drive
                > back to WV they brainstormed the North River
                > Project. From their
                > experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are
                > recommending that
                > perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris
                > boat would be a
                > more practical project... a marriage of reality and
                > a dream!
                >
                > The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a
                > model a
                > Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of
                > Fulton's sketches
                > for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the
                > drawing from
                > England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing
                > to help.
                >
                > More later,

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • northriver07
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                  Good morning,

                  a scale of the finished product in a CAD design isn't a big issue.
                  Everything is drawn 1:1. From tha model you can create drawings of
                  any scale. The computer does all the scaling for the drawing.

                  If I draw the North River at 150' in CAD the drawings outputted will
                  be scaled to fit the drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the
                  150' model.

                  Let say I want to build a finished scale model that is 15' long. I
                  copy my original file for the 150' model and rename. I then tell the
                  computer to take the 150' model and divide by 10. The new file now
                  has a 15' model. The drawings outputted will be scaled to fit the
                  drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the 15' model.

                  I can likewise do the same for my 3/8" = 1' scale model. I think
                  that you are looking at 3/8 scale as 3/8 x 150'. See the modelers
                  scale sheet under files.