Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2009
      Richard Mundy wrote:
      > Hi Frank,
      > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
      > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was made
      > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
      > improve efficiency?
      > Dick

      Presuming you're not just interested in (for instance) using steam to
      drive an axial-flow or centrifugal jet pump of the kind now common in
      jet boats, one obvious series of improvements to the original Rumsley
      design would be use of a valve operated, rather than quenched
      atmospheric engine (i.e. upgrading from Newcomen to Watt type engine)
      and automatic valve train, presumably with double acting cylinder(s) and
      double acting pump(s); followed by use of multiple cylinders to increase
      the rate and steadiness of flow through the propulsion duct along the
      keel. Addition of a reversing gate (preferably attached to the rudder,
      to retain efficient steering in reverse) or universally coupled nozzle
      (for direct thrust vectoring through 360 degrees) would be strongly
      suggested as well. It ought to be possible to manage a final propulsion
      efficiency not much below that of a paddle wheel mounted to a similarly
      designed boiler and engine with just these improvements -- and still
      have a boat with considerable novelty value, given the very shallow
      draft possible and lack of fragile moving parts below the water line...

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 3, 2009

        The Rumsey engine worked essentilly like an old well pump. The engine draws water in through a forward port and expells it and some steam through a transom port. Check out photos that I have posted in a Rumsey Folder. The boat moves in strokes as with oars. That motion is caused by the alternate opening and closing of the two flapper valves in the keel tube.

        Almost had a ride onthe Experiment in Aug of 07. I have become good frinds with the Rumseian Group. I worked with them in getting their boat from WV to the Clermont Historic Site in NY. The Saturday that I was in "uniform" the winds on the Hudson were 15-20 mph. The Experiment on a good day can do about 4.5 mph. We figured that we would end up somewhere around NYC if we ventured out into the river. I had made plans for Sunday so I couldn't steam the Hudson with the Rumseians. My wife and I did stop to say goodbye before heading to our other commitment. In the "crew" picture I'm the one out of uniform!

        A footnote on the Rumseians: You could ask for a nicer group of people. I stay in touch with Nick Blanton we have plans on seeing more of each other this year.

        Nick is a World class Hammer Dulcimer musician and builder. http://home.earthlink.net/~updf/nbi/

        Enjoy,

        > Richard Mundy wrote:
        > > Hi Frank,
        > > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
        > > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was made
        > > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
        > > improve efficiency?
        > > Dick
        >
        > Presuming you're not just interested in (for instance) using steam to
        > drive an axial-flow or centrifugal jet pump of the kind now common in
        > jet boats, one obvious series of improvements to the original Rumsley
        > design would be use of a valve operated, rather than quenched
        > atmospheric engine (i.e. upgrading from Newcomen to Watt type engine)
        > and automatic valve train, presumably with double acting cylinder(s) and
        > double acting pump(s); followed by use of multiple cylinders to increase
        > the rate and steadiness of flow through the propulsion duct along the
        > keel. Addition of a reversing gate (preferably attached to the rudder,
        > to retain efficient steering in reverse) or universally coupled nozzle
        > (for direct thrust vectoring through 360 degrees) would be strongly
        > suggested as well. It ought to be possible to manage a final propulsion
        > efficiency not much below that of a paddle wheel mounted to a similarly
        > designed boiler and engine with just these improvements -- and still
        > have a boat with considerable novelty value, given the very shallow
        > draft possible and lack of fragile moving parts below the water line...

        > and don't expect them to be perfect.

      • Richard Mundy
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
          Hi Frank,
          I tried this link and got redirected to Google videos,
          Its amazing how swapping aviation fuel for water and doing away with
          the candle can up the performance.
          Dick

          <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dick,
          >
          > There have been a few modest improvements of jet boats.
          > Go to <http://tinyurl.com/a6c5zt> for an example.
          >
          > Frank
          > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
          > <coracles18@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Frank,
          > > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
          > > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was
          made
          > > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
          > > improve efficiency?
          > > Dick
          > >

          > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill"
          > > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Dick,
          > > >
          > > > Click on <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvTnm7MRqsU> for video
          of
          > > the
          > > > first jet powered boat. Actually it was an intermittent jet boat
          > > > similar in some ways to pop-pop boats.
          > > >
          > > > old Frank
          > > >
          > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"

          > > disapointment. I
          > > particularly
          > > the
          > > still
          > > there

          > > information
          > > between
          > > dory
          jeanyves_renaud
          > > and
          > > using

          > > of
          > > and
          > > it

          > > group

          > > <georgeyyy@>

          > > interests

        • Richard Mundy
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
            Hi Donald,
            The thing that interests me about the pop pop is its simplicity and I
            can play around with them without a machine shop. I don't mind adding
            a valve or two tho.
            The Newcomen or atmospheric engine evolved into the Watt, and was
            never seen again as it was so innefficient.
            Interestingly now you point it out, there seems to be a similarity
            between the Newcomen and the pop pop - both rely on condensing steam
            to create a vacuum.
            Dick

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls

            http://silent1.home.netcom.com

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
              Hi Pete,
              thanks for the link. Technology hurtles along so fast I wonder how
              many inventions are swept aside because they showed no immediate
              promise at the time and something better turned up. I am hugely
              interested in experimental archeology. Recreating something like the
              Rumsey boat is not only interesting but inspirational.
              Dick

> [...]
              strongly
              > > suggested as well. It ought to be possible to manage a final
              > propulsion
              > > efficiency not much below that of a paddle wheel mounted to a
              > similarly
              > > designed boiler and engine with just these improvements -- and
              still
              > > have a boat with considerable novelty value, given the very
              shallow
              > > draft possible and lack of fragile moving parts below the water
              > line...
              > >
              > > --
              > > If, through hard work and perseverance, you finally get what you
              want,
              > > it's probably a sign you weren't dreaming big enough.
              > >
              > > Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
              http://silent1.home.netcom.com

              > > Opinions expressed are my own -- take them for what they're worth

            • wdsmith
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                Hoo BOY!!!!
                You are treading dangerously close to one of my big cussbuttons!!
                " I wonder how many inventions are swept aside because they showed no immediate
                promise at the time and something better turned up."

                I am stunned so few realize (or realize and dismiss) that technology evolved via the technology of the day.
                So, realizing this, a few things should be obvious:

                1.  "Tried it long ago and it didn't work," is not necessarily a valid thought.
                     One or two critical developments and technological evolution could have took a different direction.
                2.  Automatic dismissal based on 100 year old (anymore it may be closer to 100 days old) considerations is not a good idea.

                Of course all generalities are false, including this one.  It is probably OK to skip over the latest perpetual motion machine....
                bit, personally, I stil look close for any new ideas it may spark.  ;o)

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                  I can add to this, how much technology etc has been forgotten because
                  it is no longer relevant.
                  An example is the Ironbridge, Shropshire, England.
                  It is known how the sections were cast, but it is speculation as to how
                  they actually assembled these to create the bridge. Similarly how were
                  the pyramids or stonehenge built?
                  Dick
                • Richard Mundy
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                    I could also add how many promising inventions never got out of the
                    garden shed
                    (sorry to go on)
                    Dick

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009

                      Dick,

                      I look back at my youth when I first saw the Raytheon Radarange at a Science Show in New Hampshire. I saw a egg cooked on a paper plate. I believe that was in 1947. My grandfather took me to the show as a 4 or 5 year old. A few years later TV dinners hit the scene. They were in the aluminum trays and were rather basic meals. At that time I might have been 10 or 11 years old. My memory took me back the the Radarange and how it might been used with TV dinners. Although I hadn't thought of replacing the aluminum tray with a non metallic one my young mind had tied the microwave to the frozen meals. If I had been older or able to convince an adult of the potential I might have been one of those inovators.

                      On the Rumsey steamboat. Ben Franklin on a voyage back to the Us from France came up with the jet boat idea, Franklin's sketches show a hand pump. Rumsey replaced the hand pump with a steam engine.

                      http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html

                      For you History buffs; the 16th President of the US had a patent on a boat design. It's not steam related yet interesting.

                      http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-inventor/

                      Lincoln's idea never grew but Franklin's certainly did. We now have Buehler Turbocraft boats

                      http://www.uncommonboats.com/website/article.asp?id=465

                      and the jet skis. That's it...

                      Pete

                      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy" <coracles18@...> wrote:

                      > I could also add how many promising inventions never got out of the
                      > garden shed
                      > (sorry to go on)
                      > Dick
                      >

                      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
                      > coracles18@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I can add to this, how much technology etc has been forgotten because
                      > > it is no longer relevant.
                      > > An example is the Ironbridge, Shropshire, England.
                      > > It is known how the sections were cast, but it is speculation as to
                      > how
                      > > they actually assembled these to create the bridge. Similarly how
                      > were
                      > > the pyramids or stonehenge built?
                      > > Dick

                    • Richard Mundy
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 7, 2009
                        Hi Pete,
                        how often in life do we come across a new invention and think, I
                        thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing anything
                        about it!
                        A couple of years ago I invented PTFE (slippery)boots for dogs that
                        pull their owners around. I have no idea if it would work, but you
                        saw it here first :)
                        I have been thinking about the Newcomen atmospheric engine. Because
                        of inefficiency it was supersceeded by Watts engine.
                        The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if you
                        power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that relevant!

                        Dick

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 7, 2009
                          Go to http://www.dogscooter.com/about.htm for information about a
                          better way to let dogs pull you around.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 8, 2009
                            Richard Mundy wrote:
                            > Hi Pete,
                            > how often in life do we come across a new invention and think, I
                            > thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing anything
                            > about it!

                            I had the idea for a lifetime electronic watch in 1977. Electronic
                            watches were brand new then, it took Casio fifteen years to actually
                            start selling a watch like I envisioned, in which an "automatic" or
                            self-winding mechanical movement generates the tiny amount of
                            electricity needed to run the electronic watch. I also envisioned the
                            laptop computer with fold-down screen about that same time frame. I'd
                            have "invented" either one in a heartbeat, if I'd had a few thousand
                            (late 1970s) dollars to toss around...

                            > The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if you
                            > power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that relevant!

                            Efficiency is *more* important with solar power, because the power
                            density of a given collector is so low. The low tech aspect, however,
                            applies even more strongly to a Stirling engine (leftover food cans and
                            a rubber balloon?), which will give better efficiency than a Newcomen
                            steam engine and do it on a much lower working temperature (a reasonably
                            well designed Stirling engine needn't get anywhere near the boiling
                            point of water).

                          • Richard Mundy
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                              Hi Frank,
                              not seen anything like this in the UK, apparently its illegal - most
                              things are.

                              http://www.messybeast.com/history/dogcarts.htm

                              Nearest thing is Husky racing, this is on private land and
                              the 'sleds' have wheels in summer!

                              Dick

                              <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > inovators.
                              > > >
                              > > > On the Rumsey steamboat. Ben Franklin on a voyage back to the
                              Us
                              > > from
                              > > > France came up with the jet boat idea, Franklin's sketches show
                              > > hand
                              > > > pump. Rumsey replaced the hand pump with a steam engine.
                              > > >
                              > > > http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html
                              > > > <http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html>
                              > > >
                              > > > For you History buffs; the 16th President of the US had a
                              patent on
                              > > > boat design. It's not steam related yet interesting.
                              > > >
                              > > > http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-
                              inventor/
                              > > > <http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-
                              > > inventor/>
                              > > >
                              > > > Lincoln's idea never grew but Franklin's certainly did. We now

                            • Richard Mundy
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                                Hi Donald,

                                I take your point about efficiency and solar power, I was thinking of
                                the sun as unlimited power, which it is, but as you imply the density
                                of that power when it reaches earth is fairly low.
                                I also agree about the Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
                                development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen. I also have to
                                think of my limited workshop and budget!

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                                  Hi Dick,

                                  Your "messybeast" link reminded me of the year (1965) that I was in
                                  Argentia, Nfld. I was a Navy Seabee stationed at the NAVFAC site. It
                                  was like stepping back 100 years in time. I can recall seeing farmers
                                  with their 2 wheeled milk carts being pulled down the gravel road in
                                  Placentia by Newfoundland dogs. The Newfies were like a coal black
                                  St. Bernard. I also remember Fish Mongers on the street corner in St
                                  Johns with their rubber boot and apron. Great memories!

                                  Pete

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 10, 2009

                                      Here's a link to the Little Engine Group.

                                      Perhap you will find some additional ideas for projects or a design of your own.

                                      Pete

                                      > > Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
                                      > > development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen.
                                      >
                                      > The Stirling engine has had two kinds of development:
                                      > - reduction in losses by refinement of materials, bearings, clearances
                                      > masses etc
                                      > - increase in power per unit volume by using denser media than atmospheric
                                      > air (like compressed air or other gases)
                                      >
                                      > The Newcomen engine is incapable of increased power per unit volume since
                                      > it is by definition limited to atmospheric pressure. Therefore as soon as
                                      > the steam engine came along, there was no longer any point in messing
                                      > around with the losses.
                                      >
                                      > Toy Stirling engines are great fun, and I expect a toy Newcomen engine
                                      > would be even more so, given a constant supply of cold water.
                                      >
                                      > David 1/2d

                                    • Richard Mundy
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
                                        Hi David,
                                        I am still a bit new at this. I have played around with pop pops some
                                        time ago but never got into the theory until now and there is a long
                                        way to go, its a long time since I did physics! The attraction of the
                                        pop pop is its utter simplicity, and the Newcomen does not need high
                                        pressure steam.
                                        I doubt either engine will ever change the world but it looks like
                                        fun trying.
                                        Dick

                                        <dh1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      • Richard Mundy
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
                                          Hi Pete,
                                          thanks for this link, I followed it up and joined.
                                          This will be incredibly useful from the engineering side. The area of
                                          experiment is narrowing down to the pop pop and the Newcomen.
                                          I haven't started cutting metal yet, but I intend starting with some
                                          established pop pop designs.
                                          Glad you liked the dog cart page.
                                          Dick