E-Mail from our E-Steamed Member Pete Baker

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5 4:32 PM
      Go to our home page picture place to read it.
      It was bigger when I posted it, but got a bit
      "skinnified" by the process. old Frank
    • northriver07
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5 5:58 PM
        Hey Frank,

        Isn't the electronic world amazing? Digital photos, electronic mail,
        where would we be without them. I downloaded a new picture of Carl
        and his engine used in his boat Saucey. It's rated at 5 HP. I
        couldn't believe how easily it propelled a 23" boat, with 6 people
        on board, through the water.

        I'm planning on driving to Lee's Mills, NH in August for the world's
        largest and longest steamboat meet. I've got bitten by the bug!

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6 4:51 AM
          Hey right back at you Pete,

          Re: "where would we be without them" the answer would
          have to be "back where we were before we had them"
          meaning long-distance phone calls or sending telegrams
          at the Western Union place, which would require me to
          limit this message to ten words for the sake of
          economy!
          I looked for that new picture of your friend Carl and
          the engine used in Saucey, but didn't find it in your
          three photos albums, for "JOHN FITCH," the "RUMSEY" or
          The "North River Project." There's a photo of a "3x4
          Kriegeskotte engine in a pdf with this name in the
          files section, but it was there before you posted your
          message about Carl and Saucey.
          Best wishes and don't fall overboard at during "the
          world's largest and longest steamboat meet." old Frank

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • northriver07
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6 6:14 AM
            Morning Frank-

            RE: Missing photo...

            The photo is there...senior moment? The new photo is in the "North
            River Project" folder. When you look at the thumbprints there are 16
            displayed. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it show "1-
            16" etc. Click "next and you will display 17-21 including the Carl +
            engine.

            RE: Lee's Mills...

            You said "don't fall overboard"

            It wouldn't be the first time that I have been all wet!

            I spent many hours on Winnepesaukee in the 50's & 60's fishing,
            swimming, scuba-diving, water-skiing, boating and just plain old
            relaxing. I grew up in NH. Life is full of memories!

            RE: North River Project...

            Lots of good suggestions from steamboat group yesterday, especially
            the Rumseian folks. I'll post updates. ENJOY.

            Pete

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6 8:12 AM
              Thanks for the heads-up Pete. I never noticed that bit
              about 1-16 of 21,or just 20, before— perhaps because
              my computer mouse doesn't have a nice little wheel for
              scrolling way down. You mentioned a boat about 30'
              long and powered by a 10 HP steam engine in the e-mail
              note I used for the picture on the home page and a 5
              HP engine in a 23" boat when you wrote about having
              downloaded a picture of Carl and his engine— another
              senior moment perhaps? :-) old Frank

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • northriver07
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6 12:15 PM
                RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?

                Definitely not!!

                The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that Cathy and I
                spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5 HP engine is
                Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown with Carl is one
                of his design and manufacture. He made most of his own castings and
                all of the machining and assembly.

                I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks. On the drive
                back to WV they brainstormed the North River Project. From their
                experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are recommending that
                perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris boat would be a
                more practical project... a marriage of reality and a dream!

                The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a model a
                Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of Fulton's sketches
                for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the drawing from
                England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing to help.

                More later,

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 6 6:43 PM
                  Mea Culpa Father, Go my son and sin no more— or much
                  less.
                  I'm in total agreement with the Rumsey folks. I did
                  mechanical design and drafting of the old fashioned
                  kind done on a drawing board and can testify that 3/8
                  is a bitchy scale to work with. As for the first
                  image, that truss over the engine and boiler looks
                  like something a second boat would have, based on
                  experience with a first boat that broke in half. old
                  Frank

                  --- northriver07 <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

                  > RE: "another senior moment perhaps"?
                  >
                  > Definitely not!!
                  >
                  > The 30'boat with a 10 hp referred to the boat that
                  > Cathy and I
                  > spent yesterday afternoon on. The 23' boat with a 5
                  > HP engine is
                  > Carl's boat shown in the pictures. The engine shown
                  > with Carl is one
                  > of his design and manufacture. He made most of his
                  > own castings and
                  > all of the machining and assembly.
                  >
                  > I just received e-mail from the West Virginia folks.
                  > On the drive
                  > back to WV they brainstormed the North River
                  > Project. From their
                  > experiences with the Rumsey boat replica they are
                  > recommending that
                  > perhaps a half scale replica of Fulton's 1803 Paris
                  > boat would be a
                  > more practical project... a marriage of reality and
                  > a dream!
                  >
                  > The 1st image in the North River folder is perhaps a
                  > model a
                  > Fulton's second Paris design. The 22nd photo is of
                  > Fulton's sketches
                  > for that boat. I'm working on getting copies of the
                  > drawing from
                  > England and Paris. Museum curators are very willing
                  > to help.
                  >
                  > More later,

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • northriver07
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 7 2:59 AM
                    Good morning,

                    a scale of the finished product in a CAD design isn't a big issue.
                    Everything is drawn 1:1. From tha model you can create drawings of
                    any scale. The computer does all the scaling for the drawing.

                    If I draw the North River at 150' in CAD the drawings outputted will
                    be scaled to fit the drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the
                    150' model.

                    Let say I want to build a finished scale model that is 15' long. I
                    copy my original file for the 150' model and rename. I then tell the
                    computer to take the 150' model and divide by 10. The new file now
                    has a 15' model. The drawings outputted will be scaled to fit the
                    drawing sheet. the dimensions will reflect the 15' model.

                    I can likewise do the same for my 3/8" = 1' scale model. I think
                    that you are looking at 3/8 scale as 3/8 x 150'. See the modelers
                    scale sheet under files.