Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi Dick,

      Welcome to the group.

      Go to <http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/#payne> for information
      about the use of pop-pop engines in full-sized boats. For in-between
      sized boats, go to our Photos section to check out the albums, dory
      pop pop By: danoyes1, Large pop-pop boats By: jeanyves_renaud and putt
      putts By: darylcanada73 which indicate the possibility for using large
      or multiple coil type engines to propel a dory, skiff or canoe. Don't
      go too far up that infamous creek without a paddle though!

      Best wishes, Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      <coracles18@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > Just joined this group, some years ago I made several engines of
      > varous types and mounted them in cut down cans (I had not the
      > patience to build the hulls) all worked, but the most fun was large
      > and made of welded steel. This I powered by a gas blowlamp and
      > mounted in a square biscuit tin. Performace was very poor but it
      > galumphed around my bath in a very satisfying manner.
      >
      > I am totally amazed by some of the boats and engines in the group and
      > am inspired to carry on experimenting. My ultimate objective would be
      > to power a canoe but I guess might not be practical!
      >
      > I live in Essex in the UK.
      > Dick
      >

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B." <georgeyyy@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > Good morning & Happy New Year!
      > >
      > > Welcome... members new and established.
      > >
      > > I hope that you find/continue to find our group both interesting and
      > > informative. Experience and knowledge runs from beginners to
      > > "professionals".
      > >
      > > Please write a little something about yourself, your interests and
      > post
      > > on our message board.
      > >
      > > P.R.Baker

    • Richard Mundy
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 2, 2009
        Hi Frank,
        thanks for the reply and the link, I am well aware of the poor
        efficiency of the pop pop etc and the likelyhood of disapointment. I
        never travel without a paddle and this does look like a particularly
        interesting creek. It appeals appeals to my tinkering nature and the
        cost in time & plumbing per engine is comparitively low.
        The group has opened my eyes to huge range of possibilities for
        experimentation,
        I will post any results for all to jeer at, at the moment I am still
        exploring the fine print as to how the things actually work, there
        are a lot of factors I hadn't previously considered,
        Dick

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 2, 2009
          Hi Dick,

          Click on <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvTnm7MRqsU> for video of the
          first jet powered boat. Actually it was an intermittent jet boat
          similar in some ways to pop-pop boats.

          old Frank

          <coracles18@...> wrote:

          > Hi Frank,
          > thanks for the reply and the link, I am well aware of the poor
          > efficiency of the pop pop etc and the likelyhood of disapointment. I
          > never travel without a paddle and this does look like a particularly
          > interesting creek. It appeals appeals to my tinkering nature and the
          > cost in time & plumbing per engine is comparitively low.
          > The group has opened my eyes to huge range of possibilities for
          > experimentation,
          > I will post any results for all to jeer at, at the moment I am still
          > exploring the fine print as to how the things actually work, there
          > are a lot of factors I hadn't previously considered,
          > Dick

          > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Dick,
          > >
          > > Welcome to the group.
          > >
          > > Go to <http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/#payne> for information
          > > about the use of pop-pop engines in full-sized boats. For in-between
          > > sized boats, go to our Photos section to check out the albums, dory
          > > pop pop By: danoyes1, Large pop-pop boats By: jeanyves_renaud and
          > putt
          > > putts By: darylcanada73 which indicate the possibility for using
          > large
          > > or multiple coil type engines to propel a dory, skiff or canoe.
          > Don't
          > > go too far up that infamous creek without a paddle though!
          > >
          > > Best wishes, Frank
          > >
          > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
          > > <coracles18@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi all,
          > > > Just joined this group, some years ago I made several engines of
          > > > varous types and mounted them in cut down cans (I had not the
          > > > patience to build the hulls) all worked, but the most fun was
          > large
          > > > and made of welded steel. This I powered by a gas blowlamp and
          > > > mounted in a square biscuit tin. Performace was very poor but it
          > > > galumphed around my bath in a very satisfying manner.
          > > >
          > > > I am totally amazed by some of the boats and engines in the group
          > and
          > > > am inspired to carry on experimenting. My ultimate objective
          > would be
          > > > to power a canoe but I guess might not be practical!
          > > >
          > > > I live in Essex in the UK.
          > > > Dick
          > > >

          > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B." <georgeyyy@>

          > interesting and

          > and
          > > > post

        • Jean-Yves Renaud
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 2, 2009
            Hi Dick,
            The efficiency of the pop-pop engine is not only poor, it is
            pathetic. And there are other reasons why powering a manned boat is
            not reallistic. Look at the following site:
            http://www.eclecticspace.net/index2.php?rub=poppop.
            However, I'm working on a big engine (pipe inner diameter 60mm)...but
            it is for scientific aspect because low frequency allow to observe
            more easily pressure, temperature, stroke...
            Good luck!
            Jean-Yves

            <coracles18@...> wrote:

            > Hi Frank,
            > thanks for the reply and the link, I am well aware of the poor
            > efficiency of the pop pop etc and the likelyhood of disapointment.
            > never travel without a paddle and this does look like a
            particularly
            > interesting creek. It appeals appeals to my tinkering nature and
            the
            > cost in time & plumbing per engine is comparitively low.
            > The group has opened my eyes to huge range of possibilities for
            > experimentation,
            > I will post any results for all to jeer at, at the moment I am
            still
            > exploring the fine print as to how the things actually work, there
            > are a lot of factors I hadn't previously considered,
            > Dick

            > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Dick,
            > >
            > > Welcome to the group.
            > >
            > > Go to <http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/#payne> for information
            > > about the use of pop-pop engines in full-sized boats. For in-
            between
            > > sized boats, go to our Photos section to check out the albums,
            dory
            > > pop pop By: danoyes1, Large pop-pop boats By: jeanyves_renaud and
            > putt
            > > putts By: darylcanada73 which indicate the possibility for using
            > large
            > > or multiple coil type engines to propel a dory, skiff or canoe.
            > Don't
            > > go too far up that infamous creek without a paddle though!
            > >
            > > Best wishes, Frank
            > >
            > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
            > > <coracles18@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all,
            > > > Just joined this group, some years ago I made several engines
            of
            > > > varous types and mounted them in cut down cans (I had not the
            > > > patience to build the hulls) all worked, but the most fun was
            > large
            > > > and made of welded steel. This I powered by a gas blowlamp and
            > > > mounted in a square biscuit tin. Performace was very poor but
            it
            > > > galumphed around my bath in a very satisfying manner.
            > > >
            > > > I am totally amazed by some of the boats and engines in the
            group
            > and
            > > > am inspired to carry on experimenting. My ultimate objective
            > would be
            > > > to power a canoe but I guess might not be practical!
            > > >
            > > > I live in Essex in the UK.
            > > > Dick
            > > >

            > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."
            <georgeyyy@>

            > interesting and

            > and
            > > > post

          • Richard Mundy
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2009
              Hi Frank,
              this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
              assume the only development work was to figure out how it was made
              and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
              improve efficiency?
              Dick

              <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dick,
              >
              > Click on <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvTnm7MRqsU> for video of
              the
              > first jet powered boat. Actually it was an intermittent jet boat
              > similar in some ways to pop-pop boats.
              >
              > old Frank
              >
              > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
              > <coracles18@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Frank,
              > > thanks for the reply and the link, I am well aware of the poor
              > > efficiency of the pop pop etc and the likelyhood of
              disapointment. I
              > > never travel without a paddle and this does look like a
              particularly
              > > interesting creek. It appeals appeals to my tinkering nature and
              the
              > > cost in time & plumbing per engine is comparitively low.
              > > The group has opened my eyes to huge range of possibilities for
              > > experimentation,
              > > I will post any results for all to jeer at, at the moment I am
              still
              > > exploring the fine print as to how the things actually work,
              there
              > > are a lot of factors I hadn't previously considered,
              > > Dick
              > >

              > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill"
              > > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Dick,
              > > >
              > > > Welcome to the group.
              > > >
              > > > Go to <http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/#payne> for
              information
              > > > about the use of pop-pop engines in full-sized boats. For in-
              between
              > > > sized boats, go to our Photos section to check out the albums,
              dory
              > > > pop pop By: danoyes1, Large pop-pop boats By: jeanyves_renaud
              and
              > > putt
              > > > putts By: darylcanada73 which indicate the possibility for
              using
              > > large
              > > > or multiple coil type engines to propel a dory, skiff or canoe.
              > > Don't
              > > > go too far up that infamous creek without a paddle though!
              > > >
              > > > Best wishes, Frank
              > > >
              > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"

              > > large

              > > and
              > > would be

              > > interesting and

              > > and

            • Richard Mundy
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2009
                Hi Jean-Yves,
                This is a very interesting site. I have yet to digest all of it!
                The big pop pops are very impressive, but as you say the performance
                compared to the amound energy being used (blow torch) is pathetic. I
                have thought of using a two pipe system with one pipe facing forward
                with check valves but I guess someone has already tried that!
                Another thought, was the temperature rise of the water in the bath
                noted?
                Please ignore my ignorance,
                Dick

                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Hi Dick,

                  There have been a few modest improvements of jet boats.
                  Go to <http://tinyurl.com/a6c5zt> for an example.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 3, 2009
                    Richard Mundy wrote:
                    > Hi Frank,
                    > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
                    > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was made
                    > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
                    > improve efficiency?
                    > Dick

                    Presuming you're not just interested in (for instance) using steam to
                    drive an axial-flow or centrifugal jet pump of the kind now common in
                    jet boats, one obvious series of improvements to the original Rumsley
                    design would be use of a valve operated, rather than quenched
                    atmospheric engine (i.e. upgrading from Newcomen to Watt type engine)
                    and automatic valve train, presumably with double acting cylinder(s) and
                    double acting pump(s); followed by use of multiple cylinders to increase
                    the rate and steadiness of flow through the propulsion duct along the
                    keel. Addition of a reversing gate (preferably attached to the rudder,
                    to retain efficient steering in reverse) or universally coupled nozzle
                    (for direct thrust vectoring through 360 degrees) would be strongly
                    suggested as well. It ought to be possible to manage a final propulsion
                    efficiency not much below that of a paddle wheel mounted to a similarly
                    designed boiler and engine with just these improvements -- and still
                    have a boat with considerable novelty value, given the very shallow
                    draft possible and lack of fragile moving parts below the water line...

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 3, 2009

                      The Rumsey engine worked essentilly like an old well pump. The engine draws water in through a forward port and expells it and some steam through a transom port. Check out photos that I have posted in a Rumsey Folder. The boat moves in strokes as with oars. That motion is caused by the alternate opening and closing of the two flapper valves in the keel tube.

                      Almost had a ride onthe Experiment in Aug of 07. I have become good frinds with the Rumseian Group. I worked with them in getting their boat from WV to the Clermont Historic Site in NY. The Saturday that I was in "uniform" the winds on the Hudson were 15-20 mph. The Experiment on a good day can do about 4.5 mph. We figured that we would end up somewhere around NYC if we ventured out into the river. I had made plans for Sunday so I couldn't steam the Hudson with the Rumseians. My wife and I did stop to say goodbye before heading to our other commitment. In the "crew" picture I'm the one out of uniform!

                      A footnote on the Rumseians: You could ask for a nicer group of people. I stay in touch with Nick Blanton we have plans on seeing more of each other this year.

                      Nick is a World class Hammer Dulcimer musician and builder. http://home.earthlink.net/~updf/nbi/

                      Enjoy,

                      > Richard Mundy wrote:
                      > > Hi Frank,
                      > > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
                      > > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was made
                      > > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
                      > > improve efficiency?
                      > > Dick
                      >
                      > Presuming you're not just interested in (for instance) using steam to
                      > drive an axial-flow or centrifugal jet pump of the kind now common in
                      > jet boats, one obvious series of improvements to the original Rumsley
                      > design would be use of a valve operated, rather than quenched
                      > atmospheric engine (i.e. upgrading from Newcomen to Watt type engine)
                      > and automatic valve train, presumably with double acting cylinder(s) and
                      > double acting pump(s); followed by use of multiple cylinders to increase
                      > the rate and steadiness of flow through the propulsion duct along the
                      > keel. Addition of a reversing gate (preferably attached to the rudder,
                      > to retain efficient steering in reverse) or universally coupled nozzle
                      > (for direct thrust vectoring through 360 degrees) would be strongly
                      > suggested as well. It ought to be possible to manage a final propulsion
                      > efficiency not much below that of a paddle wheel mounted to a similarly
                      > designed boiler and engine with just these improvements -- and still
                      > have a boat with considerable novelty value, given the very shallow
                      > draft possible and lack of fragile moving parts below the water line...

                      > and don't expect them to be perfect.

                    • Richard Mundy
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                        Hi Frank,
                        I tried this link and got redirected to Google videos,
                        Its amazing how swapping aviation fuel for water and doing away with
                        the candle can up the performance.
                        Dick

                        <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Dick,
                        >
                        > There have been a few modest improvements of jet boats.
                        > Go to <http://tinyurl.com/a6c5zt> for an example.
                        >
                        > Frank
                        > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
                        > <coracles18@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Frank,
                        > > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
                        > > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was
                        made
                        > > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
                        > > improve efficiency?
                        > > Dick
                        > >

                        > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill"
                        > > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi Dick,
                        > > >
                        > > > Click on <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvTnm7MRqsU> for video
                        of
                        > > the
                        > > > first jet powered boat. Actually it was an intermittent jet boat
                        > > > similar in some ways to pop-pop boats.
                        > > >
                        > > > old Frank
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"

                        > > disapointment. I
                        > > particularly
                        > > the
                        > > still
                        > > there

                        > > information
                        > > between
                        > > dory
                        jeanyves_renaud
                        > > and
                        > > using

                        > > of
                        > > and
                        > > it

                        > > group

                        > > <georgeyyy@>

                        > > interests

                      • Richard Mundy
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                          Hi Donald,
                          The thing that interests me about the pop pop is its simplicity and I
                          can play around with them without a machine shop. I don't mind adding
                          a valve or two tho.
                          The Newcomen or atmospheric engine evolved into the Watt, and was
                          never seen again as it was so innefficient.
                          Interestingly now you point it out, there seems to be a similarity
                          between the Newcomen and the pop pop - both rely on condensing steam
                          to create a vacuum.
                          Dick

                          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                            Hi Pete,
                            thanks for the link. Technology hurtles along so fast I wonder how
                            many inventions are swept aside because they showed no immediate
                            promise at the time and something better turned up. I am hugely
                            interested in experimental archeology. Recreating something like the
                            Rumsey boat is not only interesting but inspirational.
                            Dick

> [...]
                            strongly
                            > > suggested as well. It ought to be possible to manage a final
                            > propulsion
                            > > efficiency not much below that of a paddle wheel mounted to a
                            > similarly
                            > > designed boiler and engine with just these improvements -- and
                            still
                            > > have a boat with considerable novelty value, given the very
                            shallow
                            > > draft possible and lack of fragile moving parts below the water
                            > line...
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > If, through hard work and perseverance, you finally get what you
                            want,
                            > > it's probably a sign you weren't dreaming big enough.
                            > >
                            > > Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
                            http://silent1.home.netcom.com

                            > > Opinions expressed are my own -- take them for what they're worth

                          • wdsmith
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                              Hoo BOY!!!!
                              You are treading dangerously close to one of my big cussbuttons!!
                              " I wonder how many inventions are swept aside because they showed no immediate
                              promise at the time and something better turned up."

                              I am stunned so few realize (or realize and dismiss) that technology evolved via the technology of the day.
                              So, realizing this, a few things should be obvious:

                              1.  "Tried it long ago and it didn't work," is not necessarily a valid thought.
                                   One or two critical developments and technological evolution could have took a different direction.
                              2.  Automatic dismissal based on 100 year old (anymore it may be closer to 100 days old) considerations is not a good idea.

                              Of course all generalities are false, including this one.  It is probably OK to skip over the latest perpetual motion machine....
                              bit, personally, I stil look close for any new ideas it may spark.  ;o)

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                I can add to this, how much technology etc has been forgotten because
                                it is no longer relevant.
                                An example is the Ironbridge, Shropshire, England.
                                It is known how the sections were cast, but it is speculation as to how
                                they actually assembled these to create the bridge. Similarly how were
                                the pyramids or stonehenge built?
                                Dick
                              • Richard Mundy
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                  I could also add how many promising inventions never got out of the
                                  garden shed
                                  (sorry to go on)
                                  Dick

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009

                                    Dick,

                                    I look back at my youth when I first saw the Raytheon Radarange at a Science Show in New Hampshire. I saw a egg cooked on a paper plate. I believe that was in 1947. My grandfather took me to the show as a 4 or 5 year old. A few years later TV dinners hit the scene. They were in the aluminum trays and were rather basic meals. At that time I might have been 10 or 11 years old. My memory took me back the the Radarange and how it might been used with TV dinners. Although I hadn't thought of replacing the aluminum tray with a non metallic one my young mind had tied the microwave to the frozen meals. If I had been older or able to convince an adult of the potential I might have been one of those inovators.

                                    On the Rumsey steamboat. Ben Franklin on a voyage back to the Us from France came up with the jet boat idea, Franklin's sketches show a hand pump. Rumsey replaced the hand pump with a steam engine.

                                    http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html

                                    For you History buffs; the 16th President of the US had a patent on a boat design. It's not steam related yet interesting.

                                    http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-inventor/

                                    Lincoln's idea never grew but Franklin's certainly did. We now have Buehler Turbocraft boats

                                    http://www.uncommonboats.com/website/article.asp?id=465

                                    and the jet skis. That's it...

                                    Pete

                                    --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy" <coracles18@...> wrote:

                                    > I could also add how many promising inventions never got out of the
                                    > garden shed
                                    > (sorry to go on)
                                    > Dick
                                    >

                                    > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
                                    > coracles18@ wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I can add to this, how much technology etc has been forgotten because
                                    > > it is no longer relevant.
                                    > > An example is the Ironbridge, Shropshire, England.
                                    > > It is known how the sections were cast, but it is speculation as to
                                    > how
                                    > > they actually assembled these to create the bridge. Similarly how
                                    > were
                                    > > the pyramids or stonehenge built?
                                    > > Dick

                                  • Richard Mundy
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 7, 2009
                                      Hi Pete,
                                      how often in life do we come across a new invention and think, I
                                      thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing anything
                                      about it!
                                      A couple of years ago I invented PTFE (slippery)boots for dogs that
                                      pull their owners around. I have no idea if it would work, but you
                                      saw it here first :)
                                      I have been thinking about the Newcomen atmospheric engine. Because
                                      of inefficiency it was supersceeded by Watts engine.
                                      The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if you
                                      power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that relevant!

                                      Dick

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 7, 2009
                                        Go to http://www.dogscooter.com/about.htm for information about a
                                        better way to let dogs pull you around.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 8, 2009
                                          Richard Mundy wrote:
                                          > Hi Pete,
                                          > how often in life do we come across a new invention and think, I
                                          > thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing anything
                                          > about it!

                                          I had the idea for a lifetime electronic watch in 1977. Electronic
                                          watches were brand new then, it took Casio fifteen years to actually
                                          start selling a watch like I envisioned, in which an "automatic" or
                                          self-winding mechanical movement generates the tiny amount of
                                          electricity needed to run the electronic watch. I also envisioned the
                                          laptop computer with fold-down screen about that same time frame. I'd
                                          have "invented" either one in a heartbeat, if I'd had a few thousand
                                          (late 1970s) dollars to toss around...

                                          > The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if you
                                          > power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that relevant!

                                          Efficiency is *more* important with solar power, because the power
                                          density of a given collector is so low. The low tech aspect, however,
                                          applies even more strongly to a Stirling engine (leftover food cans and
                                          a rubber balloon?), which will give better efficiency than a Newcomen
                                          steam engine and do it on a much lower working temperature (a reasonably
                                          well designed Stirling engine needn't get anywhere near the boiling
                                          point of water).

                                        • Richard Mundy
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                                            Hi Frank,
                                            not seen anything like this in the UK, apparently its illegal - most
                                            things are.

                                            http://www.messybeast.com/history/dogcarts.htm

                                            Nearest thing is Husky racing, this is on private land and
                                            the 'sleds' have wheels in summer!

                                            Dick

                                            <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                            > > > inovators.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > On the Rumsey steamboat. Ben Franklin on a voyage back to the
                                            Us
                                            > > from
                                            > > > France came up with the jet boat idea, Franklin's sketches show
                                            > > hand
                                            > > > pump. Rumsey replaced the hand pump with a steam engine.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html
                                            > > > <http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html>
                                            > > >
                                            > > > For you History buffs; the 16th President of the US had a
                                            patent on
                                            > > > boat design. It's not steam related yet interesting.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-
                                            inventor/
                                            > > > <http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-
                                            > > inventor/>
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Lincoln's idea never grew but Franklin's certainly did. We now

                                          • Richard Mundy
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                                              Hi Donald,

                                              I take your point about efficiency and solar power, I was thinking of
                                              the sun as unlimited power, which it is, but as you imply the density
                                              of that power when it reaches earth is fairly low.
                                              I also agree about the Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
                                              development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen. I also have to
                                              think of my limited workshop and budget!

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                                                Hi Dick,

                                                Your "messybeast" link reminded me of the year (1965) that I was in
                                                Argentia, Nfld. I was a Navy Seabee stationed at the NAVFAC site. It
                                                was like stepping back 100 years in time. I can recall seeing farmers
                                                with their 2 wheeled milk carts being pulled down the gravel road in
                                                Placentia by Newfoundland dogs. The Newfies were like a coal black
                                                St. Bernard. I also remember Fish Mongers on the street corner in St
                                                Johns with their rubber boot and apron. Great memories!

                                                Pete

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 9, 2009
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 10, 2009

                                                    Here's a link to the Little Engine Group.

                                                    Perhap you will find some additional ideas for projects or a design of your own.

                                                    Pete

                                                    > > Stirling Engine - but there has been a lot of
                                                    > > development of this, but hardly any on the Newcomen.
                                                    >
                                                    > The Stirling engine has had two kinds of development:
                                                    > - reduction in losses by refinement of materials, bearings, clearances
                                                    > masses etc
                                                    > - increase in power per unit volume by using denser media than atmospheric
                                                    > air (like compressed air or other gases)
                                                    >
                                                    > The Newcomen engine is incapable of increased power per unit volume since
                                                    > it is by definition limited to atmospheric pressure. Therefore as soon as
                                                    > the steam engine came along, there was no longer any point in messing
                                                    > around with the losses.
                                                    >
                                                    > Toy Stirling engines are great fun, and I expect a toy Newcomen engine
                                                    > would be even more so, given a constant supply of cold water.
                                                    >
                                                    > David 1/2d

                                                  • Richard Mundy
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
                                                      Hi David,
                                                      I am still a bit new at this. I have played around with pop pops some
                                                      time ago but never got into the theory until now and there is a long
                                                      way to go, its a long time since I did physics! The attraction of the
                                                      pop pop is its utter simplicity, and the Newcomen does not need high
                                                      pressure steam.
                                                      I doubt either engine will ever change the world but it looks like
                                                      fun trying.
                                                      Dick

                                                      <dh1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                    • Richard Mundy
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jan 12, 2009
                                                        Hi Pete,
                                                        thanks for this link, I followed it up and joined.
                                                        This will be incredibly useful from the engineering side. The area of
                                                        experiment is narrowing down to the pop pop and the Newcomen.
                                                        I haven't started cutting metal yet, but I intend starting with some
                                                        established pop pop designs.
                                                        Glad you liked the dog cart page.
                                                        Dick