Re: Methyl hydrate wick burners to make steam.

  • darylcanada73
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2008
      -Great idea Frank, Right now I'm fresh out of finely ground stone.
      I'm out of luck for grinding more any time soon as the wife still
      puts the harness on to pull the plow but she refuses to let me hitch
      her to the mill stones. Runs straight out to the North 40. She's out
      there now. Think I'll just leave her be for a while. You can bet I'll
      try that wick idea as soon as I can. Thanks a lot. Daryl.
      PS I liked the last home page picture better.

      -- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill"
      <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

      > Hi Daryl,
      >
      > Check out the latest home page picture for a patented permanent
      wick.
      > The patent has probably expired by now in the event that you would
      > like to make something like this witched wick of the west.
      >
      > Frank
      >

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "darylcanada73"
      > <darylcanada73@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have been making and using these burners for my putt putts,
      usually
      > > custom designed to fit a particular boat and motor. They are easy
      > > build and work well. An engine I just built required lots of heat
      in a
      > > rather long and narrow shape so I built a burner using two 1"
      flat lamp
      > > wicks side by side. Looked good and burned OK but it did not
      provide
      > > the heat I required. Replaced it with a burner I had at hand
      using
      > > three 1/4" round wicks made in my usual way with cotton string in
      brass
      > > tubing. I was surprised to find that the three round wicks made
      more
      > > heat than the 2 inches of flat wick. Fuel consumption was high
      with the
      > > flat wicks.
      > >
      > > Can any of you steam guys explain this?

    • darylcanada73
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls

        http://silent1.home.netcom.com

        > and don't expect them to be perfect.

        Hello Donald,

        Thanks for the reply. I think that you have the right answer. The
        problem was coincident to running boats in a (temporary)speed testing
        pond I recently built in the carport. Outdoors, clipping along in the
        breeze was cooling some boilers so I was using various forms of
        cowling. In this case seems likely the cowling was too close and
        blocked air flow and just made the problem worse. Along the way I
        forgot that quality of flame is more important than quantity.

        I appreciate the help. Daryl.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
          Hi Daryl,

          In the absence of finely ground stone, consider finely ground metal,
          brass perhaps, or maybe Nature's finely ground stone- AKA SAND.
          P/S The last home page picture is up again. The picture of that
          patented permanet wick can be seen in a photo album titled "flotsam,
          jetsam and lagan."