Methyl hydrate wick burners to make steam.

  • darylcanada73
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2008
      I have been making and using these burners for my putt putts, usually
      custom designed to fit a particular boat and motor. They are easy to
      build and work well. An engine I just built required lots of heat in a
      rather long and narrow shape so I built a burner using two 1" flat lamp
      wicks side by side. Looked good and burned OK but it did not provide
      the heat I required. Replaced it with a burner I had at hand using
      three 1/4" round wicks made in my usual way with cotton string in brass
      tubing. I was surprised to find that the three round wicks made more
      heat than the 2 inches of flat wick. Fuel consumption was high with the
      flat wicks.

      Can any of you steam guys explain this?
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 23, 2008
        Hi Daryl,

        Check out the latest home page picture for a patented permanent wick.
        The patent has probably expired by now in the event that you would
        like to make something like this witched wick of the west.

        Frank

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "darylcanada73"

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 23, 2008
          darylcanada73 wrote:
          > I have been making and using these burners for my putt putts, usually
          > custom designed to fit a particular boat and motor. They are easy to
          > build and work well. An engine I just built required lots of heat in a
          > rather long and narrow shape so I built a burner using two 1" flat lamp
          > wicks side by side. Looked good and burned OK but it did not provide
          > the heat I required. Replaced it with a burner I had at hand using
          > three 1/4" round wicks made in my usual way with cotton string in brass
          > tubing. I was surprised to find that the three round wicks made more
          > heat than the 2 inches of flat wick. Fuel consumption was high with the
          > flat wicks.
          >
          > Can any of you steam guys explain this?

          I expect the difference is related to how air mixes with the evaporating
          fuel in the flame. The flat wick will have a long area in which the air
          mixes in two-dimensionally, while a small round wick always mixes
          three-dimensionally; that means the larger wick burns with a taller
          flame (better for illumination, which is what flat wicks were made for)
          and, in a tight installation, may have been quenching the flame against
          the metal of the boiler. The extra fuel consumption was probably either
          burning off after the vapors had left the active area of the boiler or
          simply being lost unburned (the latter you should smell as a much
          greater alcohol odor compared to the three wick burner).

          Generally, if the flame contacts the boiler surface with anything except
          the extreme tip (the part of a candle flame that's starting to get faint
          as it rises, though this is much harder to see with the faint flame of
          alcohol), it's going to burn inefficiently and have both a lower
          transfer temperature and reduced total heat transfer.

        • darylcanada73
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2008
            -Great idea Frank, Right now I'm fresh out of finely ground stone.
            I'm out of luck for grinding more any time soon as the wife still
            puts the harness on to pull the plow but she refuses to let me hitch
            her to the mill stones. Runs straight out to the North 40. She's out
            there now. Think I'll just leave her be for a while. You can bet I'll
            try that wick idea as soon as I can. Thanks a lot. Daryl.
            PS I liked the last home page picture better.

            -- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill"

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls

              http://silent1.home.netcom.com

              > and don't expect them to be perfect.

              Hello Donald,

              Thanks for the reply. I think that you have the right answer. The
              problem was coincident to running boats in a (temporary)speed testing
              pond I recently built in the carport. Outdoors, clipping along in the
              breeze was cooling some boilers so I was using various forms of
              cowling. In this case seems likely the cowling was too close and
              blocked air flow and just made the problem worse. Along the way I
              forgot that quality of flame is more important than quantity.

              I appreciate the help. Daryl.
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
                Hi Daryl,

                In the absence of finely ground stone, consider finely ground metal,
                brass perhaps, or maybe Nature's finely ground stone- AKA SAND.
                P/S The last home page picture is up again. The picture of that
                patented permanet wick can be seen in a photo album titled "flotsam,
                jetsam and lagan."