RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Ancient pop pop

  • Slater Harrison
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2008
      Alan,

      Here is a page with some single pipe pop pops, right in your neck of the world. http://www.poppopman.co.uk/  Click on the "single pipe boats from the 1920's"  BTW, that site is interesting.  A few years ago Dave--who runs the site-- sent me a picture of an original Piot boat which you can see at the top, here http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/boatGallery.html . He has some interesting biographical details about Piot.In addition to the information on Piot's patent, Dave states that,

      "Mr Desiree Thomas Piot was a Frenchman, who emigrated to England and settled down in Bolshover street in London. His wife was the dressmaker of Queen Victoria.

      Probably using his wife's earning to pay for his inventions, in the 1890's he invented the pop pop boat (one of his last inventions)."

      I'd like to know more about Piot. Is Dave part of the pop pop group? Can we invite him to join?

      Slater

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2008
        Thanks Slater
        I now have a little phone video on you tube down as vintage pop pop
        steam boat

        or URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD_bnkX-BMw
        have a look, have you seen anythinglike this before?

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Slater Harrison"

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2008
          Hi Slater,

          I just sent your friend Dave the poppopman an invitation to join the
          group. He might be more inclined to do so if you would let him know
          this was done as a result of your suggestion.

          Best wishes, Frank