Ancient pop pop

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
      I'm in the UK and as long a I can remember we've had a pop pop that wa
      old when I first saw it about 1964
      Its commercially produced, alloy or zinc, no rust at all except the
      fuel pan, no tranfers or paint, no name its barge shape has a slotted
      top plate diaphragm type a single drive tube and metal rudder and flag
      on a wire that locates in a hole at the top and the drive tube at the
      bottom the top plate is held on to the tub with four pinch tabs and
      the pan handle has a high loop for your fingers and a slot at the back
      to locate it in. Pictures will follow as soon as I can find me camera

      Any Ideas lads and lasses
    • Slater Harrison
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2008
        Alan,

        Here is a page with some single pipe pop pops, right in your neck of the world. http://www.poppopman.co.uk/  Click on the "single pipe boats from the 1920's"  BTW, that site is interesting.  A few years ago Dave--who runs the site-- sent me a picture of an original Piot boat which you can see at the top, here http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/boatGallery.html . He has some interesting biographical details about Piot.In addition to the information on Piot's patent, Dave states that,

        "Mr Desiree Thomas Piot was a Frenchman, who emigrated to England and settled down in Bolshover street in London. His wife was the dressmaker of Queen Victoria.

        Probably using his wife's earning to pay for his inventions, in the 1890's he invented the pop pop boat (one of his last inventions)."

        I'd like to know more about Piot. Is Dave part of the pop pop group? Can we invite him to join?

        Slater

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 2008
          Thanks Slater
          I now have a little phone video on you tube down as vintage pop pop
          steam boat

          or URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD_bnkX-BMw
          have a look, have you seen anythinglike this before?

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Slater Harrison"

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2008
            Hi Slater,

            I just sent your friend Dave the poppopman an invitation to join the
            group. He might be more inclined to do so if you would let him know
            this was done as a result of your suggestion.

            Best wishes, Frank