Thanks for all the welcomes.

  • darylcanada73
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2008

      To Slater and Frank........Slicker is only 2 ft. long so not the 40 in.
      boat. It is still doing shakedown runs and needs a paint job. I will
      give you photos and facts when it is more presentable and I have some
      performance data. So far only 0.76 MPH and I believe it will do better
      than that as both engines individually are in the 300 mN range.

      Pete.............I draw the plans in pencil on my work bench. They are
      usually gone before I finish the boat. Have lots of testing notes that
      even I can barely read. If you are interested in the "how to" I will
      answer any questions you have. Nothing is a secret. I'll try to
      remember to take photos as I build the next boat. Pretty simple really.
      Just one piece of aluminum flashing and some nuts and bolts or rivets
      if you think you got it right the first time. I use bolts and nuts. Two
      more pieces of aluminum if you want to fancy up the bow and transom.

      I'll post another photo now and some more later.

      Thanks guys.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2008

        Daryl,

        I don't have any particular questions at this time. I have a Pop-Pop CLERMONT steamboat on the back burner right now. Briefly,

        • it will be approximately 16" long
        • it will be all light copper and/or brass sheet
        • thinking small barrel type boiler (yours look interesting)
        • trying to integrate the engine inlet & outlet in a rectangular brass tube keel
        • should it not live up to expectations it will become a static display

        Fulton Steam Engine Project has priority at present. It's mentioned elsewhere in POP-POP-STEAMBOATS. More on this one as it progresses. Our member in Maryland has most of the prototype gear train and linkage machines. See animation in "FILES". It digitally verifies diameters and spacing.

        RE: Your designs; keep those pencil sketches! Nice designs for use by other members, especially those who go from the basics to the more advanced. If you can scan images they could be posted. I could redraw in CAD and make PDF files to post. Just a thought!

        > Pete.............I draw the plans in pencil on my work bench. They are
        > usually gone before I finish the boat. Have lots of testing notes that
        > even I can barely read. If you are interested in the "how to" I will
        > answer any questions you have. Nothing is a secret. I'll try to
        > remember to take photos as I build the next boat. Pretty simple really.
        > Just one piece of aluminum flashing and some nuts and bolts or rivets
        > if you think you got it right the first time. I use bolts and nuts. Two
        > more pieces of aluminum if you want to fancy up the bow and transom.
        >
        > I'll post another photo now and some more later.
        >
        > Thanks guys.

      • darylcanada73
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29, 2008
          Pete,

          Thanks for the good suggestions. I guess keeping plans is not a big
          priority for me as I avoid doing the same thing twice, the finished
          project is usually quite a bit different than the original
          sketch/plan and I have the finished boat/engine to take measurements
          from if I do want to do it again along with a materials list. I am
          happy to do that for any one who wanted details on any particular
          engine.

          A barrel design for your boat could be a good choice. I have found
          them easy to build and generally reliable particularly with 4 tubes.
          Duel engines are worth considering if you have the room but you do
          have to plan ahead a bit more. I'm assuming Clermont refers to a
          scale model of a specific boat.

          One of my more unusual boats is in the photos now.

          Daryl

          -- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B." <georgeyyy@...>