Re: Welcome new members...ALL

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
      Hi Paul M,

      Look inside a folder titled Frankenstuff in the files section for
      sketches that might be used as the basis for developing R/C 'pufpaf'
      engines.

      Best wishes, Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "lordbthry" <lordbthry@...>
      wrote:

      > Well thank you,
      >
      > Allow me te introduce myself. I'm Paul, 33 years old and I come from
      > the Netherlands. One of my (too)many hobbies is to improve things by
      > trail and error, in our case the putput or 'pufpaf' engines as I like
      > to call them.

      SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--
    • lordbthry
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
        The 2nd design is very nice. Are the valves operated with sliding
        magnets? And do you have a working model already?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
          The second design would use an R/C servo to move two permanent
          magnets. There are no models workingâ€" or non-working.
          If I tried to develop a model, it would be based on the first design,
          using damper plates to control heat distribution to the ends of a
          reversible duplex coil engine. the tricky part would be in finding a
          heat source that would keep both ends operating when the damper plates
          were centered and provide quick responses when the plates were tilted
          in either direction.
          Developing a model based on the second design would be more difficult
          because of all the interactive variable factors that would have to
          come together to make it workâ€" somewhat like opening a can of worms
          and expecting them to crawl in the same direction as ranks and files
          the first time out.