Re: Welcome new members...ALL

  • lordbthry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2008
      Well thank you,

      Allow me te introduce myself. I'm Paul, 33 years old and I come from
      the Netherlands. One of my (too)many hobbies is to improve things by
      trail and error, in our case the putput or 'pufpaf' engines as I like
      to call them.

      My first experiment was a simple aluminium coil type engine but after
      blewing a gap in the pipe I discarded this attempt. My second engine
      is still in a experimental fase as it continous to run quite voilent.

      It's a brass box design(80mm*25mm*10mm) with an ultra thin membrane
      and 2 nozzeled rear pipes. It runs on a tealight, mostly noisy with
      reasonable performance but sometimes it overheats and stalls.. which
      is bad as I didn't designed it that way! A pro of the design is that
      it is nearly impossible to run it dry as the pipes are fitted about
      2mm in the angled boiler so there will always be a certain amount of
      water in it.

      My new design will be quite unusual. Instead of 2 rear pipes it has 1
      inline pipe with an in only valve at the front and an out only valve
      at the rear. (valves are madee from bicycle tires) The membraned
      boiler is connected with an angled pipe to the valved pipe. The most
      unusual in the design however will be the membrane. It delivers an
      unused source of mechanical energy and I'm about to chance that.

      I hope to post some pics soon, for know.. stay happy and keep
      experimenting with those strange tiny steamers.
      Don't hesitate to ask questions.

      Greets,
      Paul M
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
        Hi Paul M,

        Look inside a folder titled Frankenstuff in the files section for
        sketches that might be used as the basis for developing R/C 'pufpaf'
        engines.

        Best wishes, Frank

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "lordbthry" <lordbthry@...>
        wrote:

        > Well thank you,
        >
        > Allow me te introduce myself. I'm Paul, 33 years old and I come from
        > the Netherlands. One of my (too)many hobbies is to improve things by
        > trail and error, in our case the putput or 'pufpaf' engines as I like
        > to call them.

        SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--
      • lordbthry
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
          The 2nd design is very nice. Are the valves operated with sliding
          magnets? And do you have a working model already?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
            The second design would use an R/C servo to move two permanent
            magnets. There are no models workingâ€" or non-working.
            If I tried to develop a model, it would be based on the first design,
            using damper plates to control heat distribution to the ends of a
            reversible duplex coil engine. the tricky part would be in finding a
            heat source that would keep both ends operating when the damper plates
            were centered and provide quick responses when the plates were tilted
            in either direction.
            Developing a model based on the second design would be more difficult
            because of all the interactive variable factors that would have to
            come together to make it workâ€" somewhat like opening a can of worms
            and expecting them to crawl in the same direction as ranks and files
            the first time out.