Re: Welcome new members...ALL

  • Xavier LUCAS
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2008
      Hello there,

      I have to admit that I haven't been able to work on my pop pop project
      this winter, I was focused on my iceboat model that just seems to be
      unusable actually but I'll be back on the ice next winter here in
      Wisconsin.

      Jean Yves, this is not fair to tease us like that, the folks here are
      I am sure just like me really really eager to learn more on these
      projects ! Whatever, it just seems that seeing these boats was worth
      the trip, I am sure that you are back with lots of pictures and good
      diagram for us.

      Xavier
    • lordbthry
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2008
        Well thank you,

        Allow me te introduce myself. I'm Paul, 33 years old and I come from
        the Netherlands. One of my (too)many hobbies is to improve things by
        trail and error, in our case the putput or 'pufpaf' engines as I like
        to call them.

        My first experiment was a simple aluminium coil type engine but after
        blewing a gap in the pipe I discarded this attempt. My second engine
        is still in a experimental fase as it continous to run quite voilent.

        It's a brass box design(80mm*25mm*10mm) with an ultra thin membrane
        and 2 nozzeled rear pipes. It runs on a tealight, mostly noisy with
        reasonable performance but sometimes it overheats and stalls.. which
        is bad as I didn't designed it that way! A pro of the design is that
        it is nearly impossible to run it dry as the pipes are fitted about
        2mm in the angled boiler so there will always be a certain amount of
        water in it.

        My new design will be quite unusual. Instead of 2 rear pipes it has 1
        inline pipe with an in only valve at the front and an out only valve
        at the rear. (valves are madee from bicycle tires) The membraned
        boiler is connected with an angled pipe to the valved pipe. The most
        unusual in the design however will be the membrane. It delivers an
        unused source of mechanical energy and I'm about to chance that.

        I hope to post some pics soon, for know.. stay happy and keep
        experimenting with those strange tiny steamers.
        Don't hesitate to ask questions.

        Greets,
        Paul M
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
          Hi Paul M,

          Look inside a folder titled Frankenstuff in the files section for
          sketches that might be used as the basis for developing R/C 'pufpaf'
          engines.

          Best wishes, Frank

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "lordbthry" <lordbthry@...>
          wrote:

          > Well thank you,
          >
          > Allow me te introduce myself. I'm Paul, 33 years old and I come from
          > the Netherlands. One of my (too)many hobbies is to improve things by
          > trail and error, in our case the putput or 'pufpaf' engines as I like
          > to call them.

          SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--
        • lordbthry
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
            The 2nd design is very nice. Are the valves operated with sliding
            magnets? And do you have a working model already?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
              The second design would use an R/C servo to move two permanent
              magnets. There are no models workingâ€" or non-working.
              If I tried to develop a model, it would be based on the first design,
              using damper plates to control heat distribution to the ends of a
              reversible duplex coil engine. the tricky part would be in finding a
              heat source that would keep both ends operating when the damper plates
              were centered and provide quick responses when the plates were tilted
              in either direction.
              Developing a model based on the second design would be more difficult
              because of all the interactive variable factors that would have to
              come together to make it workâ€" somewhat like opening a can of worms
              and expecting them to crawl in the same direction as ranks and files
              the first time out.