Re: Introduction

    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2008
      Hi Pete and Ken,

      Pete's remark about a rotary steam engine patented by James Rumsey
      prompted a bit of Googling to learn more about it. I added a link with
      the unimaginative title, Rotary Steam Engines to a list with drawings
      that include James Rumsey's patent drawing of a rotary engine.

      Frank

> [...]
      > drawings and many research papers that a friend is donating. Fred is 96
      > and wanted to find a permanent home for his collection. He asked for my
      > help. I contacted the Clermont Historic Site in regard to the
      > collection. They have greatfully accepted. The only thing left is
      > getting it from Webster, NY to Germantown, NY.
      >
      > I am interested in the Fulton boats as you may have guessed. The 7'
      > model of the Fulton steamboat that I provided the drawing for is now
      > complete and on permanent display at Clermont. I have also organized a
      > second project, an animated 1/12 scale model of the Boulton & Watt
      > engine used by Fulton. I have recruited four steam enthusiasts who also
      > have machine shop capabilities. We'll be designing a hands on display to
      > compliment the boat model. I made a presentation to the Director of
      > Clermont two weeks ago. He and I will be going to Albany to make a
      > similar presentation to the NY State Dept of Historic Preservation. I'm
      > pretty excited about the project. It's not quite "POP-POP" but it is
      > steam related.
      >
      > (Old News?)
      >
      > I have also volunteered CAD time to help out the Rumseian Society in
      > Shepherdstown, WV. They are building a rotary steam engine patented by
      > James Rumsey and a boat to put it in.
      >
      > When I retire I hope to do volunteer work at Clermont and/or the Hudson
      > River Maritime Museum in Kingston, NY. At that time I want to introduce
      > pop-pop & basic steamboat kits at the museum stores.
      >
      > I've posted photos of the completed boat and a CAD model of my proposed
      > animated engine display as well as a link to a GOOGLE Group dedicated to
      > Fulton.
      >
      > Still working, slowly, on my copper/brass North River pop-pop.
      >
      > More later....
      >
      > Pete
      >
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Laninga" <kenstick@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello, Frank.
      > >
      > > I don't think you need to be a "member" for any minimum length of time
      > before you can ask anything. Way I see it, if you need help, you ask.
      > Period. ;-)
      > >
      > > So, you were into this before ww2?? That does make you sound nearly as
      > old as I am. I'm 66.
      > >
      > > Yes, I visited that Japanese fellow's site and found the same problem
      > as you did. Actually, I found it kind of funny. Pretty well UNreadable
      > is right!! Never saw such a mess. But, his English is a lot better than
      > my Japanese.
      > >
      > > And his crafting skill is incredible.
      > >
      > > I'm not the most diplomatic soul who ever lived but I'll take a shot
      > at dropping a hint. I'll post a note in the Group if I hear back from
      > him.
      > >

      > > *************
      > > http://www.sticksite.com/
      > > blog: http://www.sticksite.com/blog/
      > > Ken Laninga: antique
      > > (prefers to be known as a "Collectible")

    • alasdair.young
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 8 3:56 PM
        Thanks for all the replies, th BP one was genius!

        Anyway, being a new member, I think I better introduce myself. I live in Aberdeen, Scotland, I'm an Applications Bakery Manager, love films, dable with electronics and became hooked with pop pop boats after watching Ponyo. I had never heard of them before and thought it was something dreamed up by the cartoons creator. One wiki browse later and I was desperate to get my hands on one. I have a very small collection of Indian boats now and have finally had a go at making my own (sardine tin with a coiled copper pipe). At present, I'm still honing my pipe bending skills! but my aim is to make something along the lines of one of Daryls boats, they are works of art!
      • frankmcneill
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 8 4:56 PM
          Thanks for joining and participating in our chatter Alasdair and if you come up with any half baked notion for manufacturing pop-pop boats please let us know. I remember something about the invention of steam steam engines in Scotland but don't remember wat the inventor's name was.

          best wishes, Frank

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9 4:15 AM
            Welcome and thanks for your introduction. It's something that I have encouraged all members to do.

            Our group is a little off the wall at times but in general has a lot of knowledge and talent. If you have a question on Pop-Pops ask it. You'll get all of the help that you might need.

            On Aberdeen: I'll have to check a map. I recently learned that my great grandfather was a James Rule from the Glasgow area. My great grandmother and her two sons (one my grandfather) immigrated to the US in the late 1800's. She married a James Baker. The boys were either adopted or assumed the Baker name. I'm now in the process of tracking my Scottish & English (Stourbridge area)roots. Anyone in either area into genealogy?

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 9 9:56 AM
              You shouldn't encourage members to introduce themselves Pete.
              Yahoo already knows about most of them and Google has automobiles going around collecting photos for maps and also recording stuff broadcast by cell phones and even desktop computers with wireless connections provided by AT&T and other companies. Members who haven't already done so should use aliases like Pete's. I use the alias "frankmcneilll"rather than my real name which is "Frank McNeill".

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 9 1:57 PM
                I thought that your alias was "Dirty Old Frank" or was it "Old as Dirt" Frank?

                In either case thanks for organizing Pop-Pop and you some times sense of humor. We've seen a lot of water go under the keel!

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9 3:44 PM
                  I prefer "Old as Dirt" which would be a fairly accurate description rather than an alias. My wife has kept me on the straight and narrow path for the last half century or so. We have two children, two grand children and one great grandchild who will be 3 years old in October.
                  I used a recent photo for a new home page picture that shows our great grandchild on the right side of the picture and his one year old puppy being used as a pillow on the left.

                  > I thought that your alias was "Dirty Old Frank" or was it "Old as Dirt" Frank?
                  >
                  > In either case thanks for organizing Pop-Pop and you some times sense of humor. We've seen a lot of water go under the keel!
                  >
                  > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneill" <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You shouldn't encourage members to introduce themselves Pete.
                  > > Yahoo already knows about most of them and Google has automobiles going around collecting photos for maps and also recording stuff broadcast by cell phones and even desktop computers with wireless connections provided by AT&T and other companies. Members who haven't already done so should use aliases like Pete's. I use the alias "frankmcneilll"rather than my real name which is "Frank McNeill".
                  > >
                  > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <georgeyyy@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Welcome and thanks for your introduction. It's something that I have encouraged all members to do.
                  > > >
                  > > > Our group is a little off the wall at times but in general has a lot of knowledge and talent. If you have a question on Pop-Pops ask it. You'll get all of the help that you might need.

                • Daryl
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 10 1:42 AM
                    One of my relatives in England is very much into genealogy and she has discovered that some of our ancestors circa 1700 lived on the border with Scotland and were sheep stealers. Primarily stole from the McNiells.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 10 4:05 AM
                      According to a great aunt who knew some of our family history, my paternal ancestors were members of a Clan McNeil with headquarters on the tiny island of Barra in the Outer Hebrides chain. Most of them probably left after backing the losing side at a battle of Culloden, or later, when a chieftain forced an evacuation and sold the island.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 10 7:56 PM

                        A new home page picture shows one of the card stock or cardboard models that are designed and manufactured by John McEwan a member of our group and the Scottish Clan McEwan. I haven't mentioned this possibility recently, but many of John's waterline boats could be modified for use as pop-pop boats.
                        Go to http://www.tin-soldier.com/gallery.htm and look around.

                        Old Frank

                        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneill" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                        > According to a great aunt who knew some of our family history, my paternal ancestors were members of a Clan McNeil with headquarters on the tiny island of Barra in the Outer Hebrides chain. Most of them probably left after backing the losing side at a battle of Culloden, or later, when a chieftain forced an evacuation and sold the island.
                        >

                        > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl" <darylcanada73@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > One of my relatives in England is very much into genealogy and she has discovered that some of our ancestors circa 1700 lived on the border with Scotland and were sheep stealers. Primarily stole from the McNiells.
                        > >
                        > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <georgeyyy@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Welcome and thanks for your introduction. It's something that I have encouraged all members to do.
                        > > >
                        > > > Our group is a little off the wall at times but in general has a lot of knowledge and talent. If you have a question on Pop-Pops ask it. You'll get all of the help that you might need.

                      • teebeepop
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 4, 2011
                          I'd like to introduce myself to the group. Stumbled on the sciencetoymaker site a while back, built one of his tugs, and was severely bitten by the pop pop bug. I've now finished 7 homemade boats and own close to 30 "bought" boats from all over the world. I've had a blast researching these things on the web, interacting with other pop pop people, and buying some neat boats. I usually run my little boats in a kiddie pool at home but sometimes venture over to a fairly large pond for some more adventurous runs. I've got some pop pop videos on youtube under the username of TeeBeeZee. Will be posting more soon. Mr. Harrison of sciencetoymaker fame recommended this group to me after seeing some of my projects. Have some pics to post as soon as I can figure it out. This is a new forum format for me.

                          Troy
                        • MO
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 4, 2011
                            Welcome Troy!!! Pic's will go in the photo album area in the files to the upper left side of your screen. Just set a new album-- that is the way this site works...several of us just competed in a - just for fun pop pop boat building contest here-

                            http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/about40356.html

                            Later on

                            greg from Oregon