What comes next for us, maritime war games?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2006

      I think there is a link of some kind between maritime
      war gaming groups like "ironclads" that use miniature
      models of steam powered vessels as markers, and our
      "pop-pop-steamboats" group. The link is mostly one way
      and tenuous at present, three or more "ironclads"
      members have joined us, and for the rest of the day we
      have a photo of "The Union fleet at anchor" that was
      taken during an ironclads gaming session. What I see
      in the photo without much in the way of detail is a
      fleet of pop-pop steamboats in what might be a
      custom-made plastic wading pond with imbedded
      transceivers controlled by a computer, game software
      and individual players.
      I have what might be a few workable notions for
      turning burners on and off and maneuvering boats by
      remote control but think maritime war game players
      would probably use hand-held devices (iPods, cell
      phones or whatever) to work through a computer that
      would use a random number generator to introduce the
      element of chance that is a feature of battles real
      and simulated. This probably won't be the next project
      after North River, but it might come after what comes
      next- R/C models of tugs and towboats maybe, based on
      some seriously intensive lurking on the "tugsandtows"
      and "Towboating" groups.

      Best wishes, old Frank

      http://mail.yahoo.com