Re: engine modification RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Hello, I'm new here

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
      Ken Laninga wrote:

      > Wouldn't it be nice to add a wireless remote to move the rudder!!?

      If you can make the rudder bearing smooth enough, you might be able to
      use the transmitter, receiver, and actuator from one of the tiny R/C
      cars that are sold cheaply (under $20) at Radio Shack and similar
      locations. They haven't got a lot of power, but a rudder with about 1/3
      of the area ahead of the pivot will hardly need any power to work.
      Water isn't good for electronics, but you can probably seal the whole
      receiver inside a plastic bag and just let it twist the bag a bit where
      you feed the rudder pivot through (and if you use a zipper bag, you can
      get into it to change batteries or make adjustments and then reseal it).

    • Ken Laninga
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
        Donald, that sounds like an idea I must follow up on. Many thanks for
        that tip. I'll check it out asap!
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 30, 2008
          Ken,

          I placed your metal put-put/Pop-pop on our homepage. It should get
          people's interest going again. It shows what can be done with a
          little imagination and an existing design. Let us know how uoy do
          with your rudder control.

          THX,

          Pete

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Laninga"
          <kenstick@...> wrote:

          > Hello, group; after seeing Put-Put Boats on the Discovery Channel
          recently, I got instantly addicted and have built a "whole fleet" of
          them so far, moving from the "milk-carton" type to my own design in
          thin aluminum. Your comments would be much appreciated; here is the
          Rest of the Story:
          > http://www.sticksite.com/putputboat/index.html
          > and
          > http://www.sticksite.com/putputboat/metal-boat.html
          >

          > *************
          > http://www.sticksite.com/
          > blog: http://www.sticksite.com/blog/
          > Ken Laninga: antique
          > (prefers to be known as a "Collectible")

        • Ken Laninga
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 30, 2008
            Fine, Pete. I did find some good aluminum, finally, but am still
            looking for radio control for the rudder.
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
              Hi Ken and all,

              Trend Times has a catalog at <http://www.trendtimes.com/index.html>
              with "The Hottest Products For The Coolest People," which include a
              lot of small and relatively cheap toy cars, trucks, tanks, planes,
              helicopters, boats and submarines equipped for either radio, or
              infrared control.
              I posted this because of the possibility that some of this stuff could
              be hacked to provide a remote control system for a pop-pop boat.

              Best wishes, old Frank