Radio control pop-pop boats

  • Charles Duggie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2006
      Hi;
       I went to the informational links and read up on pop-pop boats. I don't know if these boats could be made large enough to carry radio control gear. How big can a pop-pop engine be? Can you put 2 in 1 boat?
       As far as Stirling engines , I have to read up on them. But I believe there are Stirling powered submarines in at least one of the Scandanavian navies. Could these engines be miniaturised?

      Chuck Duggie

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 26, 2006
        Hi Chuck,

        I will field that one because I think I know the
        answers.
        The late Peter R. Payne, mentioned in the pop-pop
        pages,
        is reported to have experimented with pop-pop boats
        large enough to ride in. There's an image of a patent
        with a diagram of the engine he probably used, a lot
        more complicated than the engines in little tin boats
        though. Dustin McMillian, owner of Buzz's Boatyard,
        reported that he built a boat with the kind of RC
        stuff
        hobbyists use and equipped it with three pop-pop
        engines. The largest of the tin pop-pop boats made
        in India and sold by Buzz is the 15-inch long
        "Titanic."
        The smallest R/C boat I know of with conventional
        equipment is the "Footy," so called because it's just
        12-inches long. A pop-pop engine can be as simple
        as a length of copper tubing 3/32" diameter or so,
        with two or three turns of coil at the center and two
        ends sticking out somewhere below the water line.
        With enough heat, a boat could have a dozen engines
        for just slightly more than one engine would cost.
        There are still a lot of questions to be answered,
        by folks on pop-pop-steamboats perhaps. I just
        posted a link to the American Stirling company to
        provide an answer to how small can they be.
        There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
        hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.

        Best wishes, Frank

        --- Charles Duggie <mineadmiral@...> wrote:

        > Hi;
        > I went to the informational links and read up on
        > pop-pop boats. I don't know if these boats could be
        > made large enough to carry radio control gear. How
        > big can a pop-pop engine be? Can you put 2 in 1
        > boat?
        > As far as Stirling engines , I have to read up on
        > them. But I believe there are Stirling powered
        > submarines in at least one of the Scandanavian
        > navies. Could these engines be miniaturised?
        >
        > Chuck Duggie

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • buzzsboatyard
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
          Hi Frank, et al. I'm Buzz from Buzz's BoatYard and I can help you
          find a lot of information on pop pop boats. Chuck, you are quite
          right about that huge pop pop boat. But, Frank is correct... I have
          had no problem installing r/c equipment in the Titanic I sell.... or
          in the Super Tug. The tug is 10" LOA and features one of the largest
          pop pop engines made today. You won't set any speed records, but with
          one of our new "super candles", you can get up to 30 minutes on one
          candle. We've added ingredients to slow the burn, and they really work
          well. It is also very easy to build your own ships and use another
          type of steam engine that will propel the boat. I'm speaking of a
          coil boiler "water recirculating" engine, which I also make. The coil
          boilers are silent. I copied the engine design of the first ship ever
          made by Sutcliffe Pressings in England. The coil boilers are made from
          copper which I anneal and then bend into 4 or five coils. These
          boilers include a long set of exhaust pipes, so you can place them in
          the best suitable location. While I do prefer the pop pop engine
          because of the noise it makes, the coil boiler is guaranteed NEVER to
          burn out unless you try to power it with an acetelene torch. <grin>
          \
          For those have never seen one in action, I invited you to visit my
          website. Once on the site, look on your left side and click the "Movie
          Theater" link. There are several videos of a very few of the boats I
          stock and sell. I have at least a dozen more new types of pop pop
          boats which I just brought through customs....and another shipment due
          in from India on Monday. I will try to get the pictures up quickly.
          If you want to get more information on how the engine runs, click on
          the bold links on the intro page on my site. I have tons of
          information to share, so if you have questions about these little
          wonders... feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to give you the
          information you need.

          Frank... this is a great idea! I hope we can draw more people into
          the group here who are interested in them or have questions. I'll post
          some pictures as we go along. Pop pop engines date back to the 1800's
          . I'd love to hear some project ideas. Right now I am building a wood
          shrimp boat 10" long with a large pop pop engine in it. There is
          plenty of room for R/C. I can also help out with the r/c stuff as I
          am trying to finish my "cheaprc.com" site now. Here's the url to my
          boat site. Feel free to leave feedback or ask questions. I can get pop
          pop boats as small as 4"... they are called "Mini-Pops".

          Buzz
          Buzz's BoatYard

          www.buzzboats.com

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill
          <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chuck,
          >
          > I will field that one because I think I know the
          > answers.
          > The late Peter R. Payne, mentioned in the pop-pop
          > pages,
          > is reported to have experimented with pop-pop boats
          > large enough to ride in. There's an image of a patent
          > with a diagram of the engine he probably used, a lot
          > more complicated than the engines in little tin boats
          > though. Dustin McMillian, owner of Buzz's Boatyard,
          > reported that he built a boat with the kind of RC
          > stuff
          > hobbyists use and equipped it with three pop-pop
          > engines. The largest of the tin pop-pop boats made
          > in India and sold by Buzz is the 15-inch long
          > "Titanic."
          > The smallest R/C boat I know of with conventional
          > equipment is the "Footy," so called because it's just
          > 12-inches long. A pop-pop engine can be as simple
          > as a length of copper tubing 3/32" diameter or so,
          > with two or three turns of coil at the center and two
          > ends sticking out somewhere below the water line.
          > With enough heat, a boat could have a dozen engines
          > for just slightly more than one engine would cost.
          > There are still a lot of questions to be answered,
          > by folks on pop-pop-steamboats perhaps. I just
          > posted a link to the American Stirling company to
          > provide an answer to how small can they be.
          > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
          > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
          >
          > Best wishes, Frank
          >

          > --- Charles Duggie <mineadmiral@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi;
          > > I went to the informational links and read up on
          > > pop-pop boats. I don't know if these boats could be
          > > made large enough to carry radio control gear. How
          > > big can a pop-pop engine be? Can you put 2 in 1
          > > boat?
          > > As far as Stirling engines , I have to read up on
          > > them. But I believe there are Stirling powered
          > > submarines in at least one of the Scandanavian
          > > navies. Could these engines be miniaturised?
          > >
          > > Chuck Duggie
          > >

          > > ---------------------------------
          > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low
          > > PC-to-Phone call rates.
          >
          > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted
          all the alternatives."
          > Sir Winston Churchill

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • buzzsboatyard
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
            Hi Chuck,

            This is Buzz from Buzz's BoatYard. I posted a few minutes ago but I
            don't see it anywhere now. You can certainly put r/c equipment in a
            pop pop boat. I do it from time to time. If the other message I
            replied to would show up, it would answer a lot of your questions.

            I carry pop pop boats with very large engines in them.. and I have
            installed r/c in the Titanic and in the Super Tug. I am also working
            now on a wood pop pop powered shrimp boat which will have plenty of
            room for r/c gear. As for the Stirling engine, yes.... I can find you
            a lot of varieties of small ones that run off the heat of a cup of
            coffee. The problem is, the small ones are very weak in power. They
            develop enough power to turn the engine components, but I don't think
            the small ones would be able to power much more. Feel free to ask me
            any questions about poppop applications. You can view some of them
            running in my pond if you go to the "movie theater" link on my
            website. The website is at:

            www.buzzboats.com

            Thanks,

            Buzz

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Charles Duggie

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
              Hi Buzz,

              That report that I et al isn't true, I got out of the cannibalism
              scene several months ago and never ate anybody named al
              that I can recall.
              Thanks for the new information. I knew that you were working
              with radio control, but didn't know until now that you have
              installed r/c equipment in the pop-pop "Titanic." Rudder control
              I assume, and possibly one of downsized systems that several
              suppliers offer in addition to standard stuff. Please consider the
              possibility for using a refillable butane candle lighter some time,
              rather than a candle, and take a gander at that pipe with the
              built-in lighter while humming that tune about what happens
              when the lovely flame dies and smoke gets in your eyes.

              Best wishes, old Frank

              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "buzzsboatyard" <buzzsboatyard@...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
                Sorry about this Buzz,

                but I zipped past the reference to the "cheaprc.com" you're
                working on. Please post a link to it in our links section when
                it's ready for prime time viewing. We already have a link to
                Buzz's BoatYard. If you enter thenes link as Cheaprc.com it
                should show up close to the one for the BoatYard. Thanks
                a bunch for coming on board because posts have suddenly
                shot up from almost Zilch to Zowie!!

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
                > > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
                > >
                > > Best wishes, Frank
                > >

                > > --- Charles Duggie <mineadmiral@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hi;
                > > > I went to the informational links and read up on
                > > > pop-pop boats. I don't know if these boats could be
                > > > made large enough to carry radio control gear. How
                > > > big can a pop-pop engine be? Can you put 2 in 1
                > > > boat?
                > > > As far as Stirling engines , I have to read up on
                > > > them. But I believe there are Stirling powered
                > > > submarines in at least one of the Scandanavian
                > > > navies. Could these engines be miniaturised?
                > > >
                > > > Chuck Duggie
                > > >

                > > > ---------------------------------
                > > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low
                > > > PC-to-Phone call rates.
                > >
                > > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted

              • Donald Munsey Jr.
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
                  Buzz,

                  KOOL Boat!

                  Now you've got my interest and I can bet there will be a few others interested in your cheaprc program.  There is a faction of the On30 Model Railroad community, led by Woodie Clyde Greene of the Texas Outlaws On30 group, that is rebelling against layout wiring and track cleaning. They are converting their locomotives to self-contained, battery powered R/C units.  I'm a remote follower and have several S/Sn42 and 1:24 R/C locos in the works (I use many of the same mechanisms the On30 crowd does).  The current source of choice for the R/C electronics for these conversions is the Kyosho Mini-Z 1:24 R/C autos with digital proportional speed control (As yet the steering channel is not often used - however - there are lot's of creative folk into R/C trains - so who knows).  At about $100 a pop (cheaper occasionally on e-bay) the Mini-Z racers are a bit pricey, but still very much affordable.  Your $60 R/C speed boat peaques my interest!  Here are a couple of questions:

                  1.  Can you slow the boat down to operate something like a tug boat (I want a 1:24 river tug for my garden railway)?  In other words, Is the speed controller proportional, or full forward only?

                  2.   What is the size of the electronics and battery components for this boat?

                  3.   Can they be physically separated?

                  4   Can they be purchased separately?

                  5.  Can different boats be operated simultaneously?

                  6.  Is there a rudder in this boat (2nd channel), or is directional controll accomplished by differential thrust applied to the port and starboard engines?

                  That's all I can think of now.

                  Keep in touch.
                  Don Munsey, Jr.
                  dmunseyjr@...
                  Sn42 and Hn42 logging fan
                  Virginian Rwy fan
                  Bonsai grasshopper
                  Living in the UpperRightCorner of Louisiana.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                    Oh, no big deal. It isn't much to look at right now. The boats are
                    fun.... but I'm really hooked one one of the r/c planes! Seems like
                    the day flies by so fast I just don't have the time to do all the
                    things I'd like to.

                    <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > "Titanic."
                    > > > The smallest R/C boat I know of with conventional
                    > > > equipment is the "Footy," so called because it's just
                    > > > 12-inches long. A pop-pop engine can be as simple
                    > > > as a length of copper tubing 3/32" diameter or so,
                    > > > with two or three turns of coil at the center and two
                    > > > ends sticking out somewhere below the water line.
                    > > > With enough heat, a boat could have a dozen engines
                    > > > for just slightly more than one engine would cost.
                    > > > There are still a lot of questions to be answered,
                    > > > by folks on pop-pop-steamboats perhaps. I just
                    > > > posted a link to the American Stirling company to
                    > > > provide an answer to how small can they be.
                    > > > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
                    > > > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
                    > > >
                    > > > Best wishes, Frank

                    > > > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted

                  • buzzsboatyard
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                      Thanks, Don... it really is a screamer. But no, it is not
                      proportional. It's full on when you hit the throttle. I had to learn
                      to stand beside it instead of behind it when I hit the throttle after
                      getting soaked a couple of times. <g> It is differential thrust.
                      If you're thinking of putting this in something small... it might not
                      fit as the radio is a bit large. I really think, for the money,
                      that the Specktrum DX-6 radio is the best for the price. It transmits
                      and receives on 2 channels... no glitches. The receivers are also very
                      small. I'd better shut up, because I think there is an article coming
                      out soon in Steam In The Garden magazine. Look for it... I use one
                      now and it is incredible!

                      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Munsey Jr."

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                        Hi Don and Buzz,

                        There is another way to slow the "screamer" down by using props with
                        a flatter pitch. Guys on the tugsandtows group started making their
                        own props after discovering that props made by using fixtures to
                        twist the blades of props cut from flat metal worked just as well as
                        custom made props designed to look like those on real tug boats.
                        Flat blades wouldn't provide any thrust, so it seems reasonable to
                        believe that a very slight degree of twist would provide a very
                        slight degree of propulsion and speed. Maybe that's why I have so
                        much trouble propelling myself out of bed these days.