Re: engine modification RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Hello, I'm new here

  • Ken Laninga
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
      Nice to hear back from you Slater. You sure got me hooked. One thing scares me about leaving the ends of the straws so long: if they get too close to where the flame is, the heat inside might be too hot and MELT them. I saw the result of that on one that I tried this with, and then cut it open to see.

      Interesting thought though. I'll play with that some more.

      Working on my first "V" bottom (paper first) boat right now. Makes me wish my grandkids didn't live so far away!

      *************
      http://www.sticksite.com/
      blog: http://www.sticksite.com/blog/
      Ken Laninga: antique
      (prefers to be known as a "Collectible")

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
        I know what you're saying about the straws melting when going that close to the hot spot, Ken. I deal with it by making sure a thin layer of epoxy coats the whole part of the straw going in--especially the ends. The epoxy shell--which is more resistant to heat--seems to keep the straws from completely deforming. Too much epoxy will clog and block off the straw ends. Anyhow, it seemed to work well with the last 4 classes of 8th graders who made them. They go visibly faster.

        Those aluminum hulls and decks are slick! Gotta try it.

        Slater

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
          I see what you mean about the epoxy. I've had bad luck with that LePage epoxy, Slater. Threw the whole thing away without using it at all; the dispenser had me buffaloed and then it leaked all over. But I sure do like J-B Weld; the KWIK version. I'll make sure to get some of it around the straws when I try that; thanks for sharing the idea.

          If I knew what gauge of aluminum I'm using, I'd mention that but so far, I don't KNOW!! This week I'll go get some more and then find out. While I do prefer the aluminum, I plan to continue making the paper ones too. That sticky metal tape is REALLY good for both boats.

          I find that GORILLA GLUE is good too; I've used it to seal some leaks. But it does dry slowly.

          Wouldn't it be nice to add a wireless remote to move the rudder!!?

          *************

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
            Ken Laninga wrote:

            > Wouldn't it be nice to add a wireless remote to move the rudder!!?

            If you can make the rudder bearing smooth enough, you might be able to
            use the transmitter, receiver, and actuator from one of the tiny R/C
            cars that are sold cheaply (under $20) at Radio Shack and similar
            locations. They haven't got a lot of power, but a rudder with about 1/3
            of the area ahead of the pivot will hardly need any power to work.
            Water isn't good for electronics, but you can probably seal the whole
            receiver inside a plastic bag and just let it twist the bag a bit where
            you feed the rudder pivot through (and if you use a zipper bag, you can
            get into it to change batteries or make adjustments and then reseal it).

          • Ken Laninga
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
              Donald, that sounds like an idea I must follow up on. Many thanks for
              that tip. I'll check it out asap!
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 30, 2008
                Ken,

                I placed your metal put-put/Pop-pop on our homepage. It should get
                people's interest going again. It shows what can be done with a
                little imagination and an existing design. Let us know how uoy do
                with your rudder control.

                THX,

                Pete

                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Laninga"

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 30, 2008
                  Fine, Pete. I did find some good aluminum, finally, but am still
                  looking for radio control for the rudder.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
                    Hi Ken and all,

                    Trend Times has a catalog at <http://www.trendtimes.com/index.html>
                    with "The Hottest Products For The Coolest People," which include a
                    lot of small and relatively cheap toy cars, trucks, tanks, planes,
                    helicopters, boats and submarines equipped for either radio, or
                    infrared control.
                    I posted this because of the possibility that some of this stuff could
                    be hacked to provide a remote control system for a pop-pop boat.

                    Best wishes, old Frank