engine modification RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Hello, I'm new here

  • Slater Harrison
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 24 2:55 PM
      Ken,

      I'm glad to see you've done some interesting things with deck modifications with the http://sciencetoymaker.org/ boat design and I appreciate you crediting your starting point.
      One thing I've been doing lately with the engine is making the part of the straw that sticks into the engine longer--more like an inch and a half (36 mm or so) rather than an inch (25 mm). It has a pretty dramatic effect on the speed. I speculate that the straws are feeding droplets of water exactly to the hot spot of the engine. You might try it and see if it makes a difference. If so, you might want to change it on your directions (step 14).

      Slater

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 24 3:17 PM
        Nice to hear back from you Slater. You sure got me hooked. One thing scares me about leaving the ends of the straws so long: if they get too close to where the flame is, the heat inside might be too hot and MELT them. I saw the result of that on one that I tried this with, and then cut it open to see.

        Interesting thought though. I'll play with that some more.

        Working on my first "V" bottom (paper first) boat right now. Makes me wish my grandkids didn't live so far away!

        *************

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 24 3:38 PM
          I know what you're saying about the straws melting when going that close to the hot spot, Ken. I deal with it by making sure a thin layer of epoxy coats the whole part of the straw going in--especially the ends. The epoxy shell--which is more resistant to heat--seems to keep the straws from completely deforming. Too much epoxy will clog and block off the straw ends. Anyhow, it seemed to work well with the last 4 classes of 8th graders who made them. They go visibly faster.

          Those aluminum hulls and decks are slick! Gotta try it.

          Slater

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 24 4:53 PM
            I see what you mean about the epoxy. I've had bad luck with that LePage epoxy, Slater. Threw the whole thing away without using it at all; the dispenser had me buffaloed and then it leaked all over. But I sure do like J-B Weld; the KWIK version. I'll make sure to get some of it around the straws when I try that; thanks for sharing the idea.

            If I knew what gauge of aluminum I'm using, I'd mention that but so far, I don't KNOW!! This week I'll go get some more and then find out. While I do prefer the aluminum, I plan to continue making the paper ones too. That sticky metal tape is REALLY good for both boats.

            I find that GORILLA GLUE is good too; I've used it to seal some leaks. But it does dry slowly.

            Wouldn't it be nice to add a wireless remote to move the rudder!!?

            *************

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 24 8:23 PM
              Ken Laninga wrote:

              > Wouldn't it be nice to add a wireless remote to move the rudder!!?

              If you can make the rudder bearing smooth enough, you might be able to
              use the transmitter, receiver, and actuator from one of the tiny R/C
              cars that are sold cheaply (under $20) at Radio Shack and similar
              locations. They haven't got a lot of power, but a rudder with about 1/3
              of the area ahead of the pivot will hardly need any power to work.
              Water isn't good for electronics, but you can probably seal the whole
              receiver inside a plastic bag and just let it twist the bag a bit where
              you feed the rudder pivot through (and if you use a zipper bag, you can
              get into it to change batteries or make adjustments and then reseal it).

            • Ken Laninga
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 24 8:35 PM
                Donald, that sounds like an idea I must follow up on. Many thanks for
                that tip. I'll check it out asap!
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 30 11:42 AM
                  Ken,

                  I placed your metal put-put/Pop-pop on our homepage. It should get
                  people's interest going again. It shows what can be done with a
                  little imagination and an existing design. Let us know how uoy do
                  with your rudder control.

                  THX,

                  Pete

                  --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Laninga"

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 30 11:55 AM
                    Fine, Pete. I did find some good aluminum, finally, but am still
                    looking for radio control for the rudder.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 31 2:39 AM
                      Hi Ken and all,

                      Trend Times has a catalog at <http://www.trendtimes.com/index.html>
                      with "The Hottest Products For The Coolest People," which include a
                      lot of small and relatively cheap toy cars, trucks, tanks, planes,
                      helicopters, boats and submarines equipped for either radio, or
                      infrared control.
                      I posted this because of the possibility that some of this stuff could
                      be hacked to provide a remote control system for a pop-pop boat.

                      Best wishes, old Frank