Hello, I'm new here

  • Ken Laninga
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 22, 2008
      Hello, group; after seeing Put-Put Boats on the Discovery Channel recently, I got instantly addicted and have built a "whole fleet" of them so far, moving from the "milk-carton" type to my own design in thin aluminum. Your comments would be much appreciated; here is the Rest of the Story:
      and

      *************
      http://www.sticksite.com/
      blog: http://www.sticksite.com/blog/
      Ken Laninga: antique
      (prefers to be known as a "Collectible")

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 22, 2008

        Welcome!

        I ran through your links. The only thing that I can say is WOW! You have done an amazing job in putting your pages together. They are well layed out, easy to follow and welcomed additions to POP-POP.

        I also enjoyed your journals on your camp visits. I helped a friend with finish work on his cabin in the White Mts. of NH. His cabin is in Colebrook, NH, a few miles from what is known as Moose Alley". In reading the online NH paper that area got in excess of 16 feet of snow so far this Winter. Needless to say I doubt that there were any visits.

        Thanks joining & your contributions,

        Pete

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 23, 2008

            LIKEWISE.....

            I'm originally from NH so I read the Online NH paper almost daily. Check link below.

            A map showing some of NH's snowiest spots

            They have had the second highest accummulation of snow since they started keeping records in 1868. Lots of damaged roofs etc.

            I especially like your metal boat. If you check thru my posts and Keycreator photos you'll see that I have been working on my version of a copper CLERMONT pop-pop. I may be able to use some of your construction details. in fabricating my boat. Most of my design is in my head. I really have to complete the CAD model and get going on the metal bending. I'll keep you posted.

            • John Freeman
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 23, 2008
                Very nicely done, Ken! Excellent step by step instructions. I must admit
                that the charming sound of the pop pop in the paper boat got a bit old
                by the time I was through with the page, but hey--I can live with that!

                Wonderfully clean work with the aluminum boat too. Thanks for showing us!

                John Freeman
              • Ken Laninga
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 23, 2008
                  Thank you, John. I agree that it would be nice to be able to start and
                  STOP that video but I don't know how to adjust my html. Maybe all one
                  can do is turn down the volume. ;-)
                • Slater Harrison
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
                    Ken,

                    I'm glad to see you've done some interesting things with deck modifications with the http://sciencetoymaker.org/ boat design and I appreciate you crediting your starting point.
                    One thing I've been doing lately with the engine is making the part of the straw that sticks into the engine longer--more like an inch and a half (36 mm or so) rather than an inch (25 mm). It has a pretty dramatic effect on the speed. I speculate that the straws are feeding droplets of water exactly to the hot spot of the engine. You might try it and see if it makes a difference. If so, you might want to change it on your directions (step 14).

                    Slater

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
                      Nice to hear back from you Slater. You sure got me hooked. One thing scares me about leaving the ends of the straws so long: if they get too close to where the flame is, the heat inside might be too hot and MELT them. I saw the result of that on one that I tried this with, and then cut it open to see.

                      Interesting thought though. I'll play with that some more.

                      Working on my first "V" bottom (paper first) boat right now. Makes me wish my grandkids didn't live so far away!

                      *************

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
                        I know what you're saying about the straws melting when going that close to the hot spot, Ken. I deal with it by making sure a thin layer of epoxy coats the whole part of the straw going in--especially the ends. The epoxy shell--which is more resistant to heat--seems to keep the straws from completely deforming. Too much epoxy will clog and block off the straw ends. Anyhow, it seemed to work well with the last 4 classes of 8th graders who made them. They go visibly faster.

                        Those aluminum hulls and decks are slick! Gotta try it.

                        Slater

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
                          I see what you mean about the epoxy. I've had bad luck with that LePage epoxy, Slater. Threw the whole thing away without using it at all; the dispenser had me buffaloed and then it leaked all over. But I sure do like J-B Weld; the KWIK version. I'll make sure to get some of it around the straws when I try that; thanks for sharing the idea.

                          If I knew what gauge of aluminum I'm using, I'd mention that but so far, I don't KNOW!! This week I'll go get some more and then find out. While I do prefer the aluminum, I plan to continue making the paper ones too. That sticky metal tape is REALLY good for both boats.

                          I find that GORILLA GLUE is good too; I've used it to seal some leaks. But it does dry slowly.

                          Wouldn't it be nice to add a wireless remote to move the rudder!!?

                          *************

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
                            Ken Laninga wrote:

                            > Wouldn't it be nice to add a wireless remote to move the rudder!!?

                            If you can make the rudder bearing smooth enough, you might be able to
                            use the transmitter, receiver, and actuator from one of the tiny R/C
                            cars that are sold cheaply (under $20) at Radio Shack and similar
                            locations. They haven't got a lot of power, but a rudder with about 1/3
                            of the area ahead of the pivot will hardly need any power to work.
                            Water isn't good for electronics, but you can probably seal the whole
                            receiver inside a plastic bag and just let it twist the bag a bit where
                            you feed the rudder pivot through (and if you use a zipper bag, you can
                            get into it to change batteries or make adjustments and then reseal it).

                          • Ken Laninga
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
                              Donald, that sounds like an idea I must follow up on. Many thanks for
                              that tip. I'll check it out asap!
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 30, 2008
                                Ken,

                                I placed your metal put-put/Pop-pop on our homepage. It should get
                                people's interest going again. It shows what can be done with a
                                little imagination and an existing design. Let us know how uoy do
                                with your rudder control.

                                THX,

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 30, 2008
                                  Fine, Pete. I did find some good aluminum, finally, but am still
                                  looking for radio control for the rudder.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
                                    Hi Ken and all,

                                    Trend Times has a catalog at <http://www.trendtimes.com/index.html>
                                    with "The Hottest Products For The Coolest People," which include a
                                    lot of small and relatively cheap toy cars, trucks, tanks, planes,
                                    helicopters, boats and submarines equipped for either radio, or
                                    infrared control.
                                    I posted this because of the possibility that some of this stuff could
                                    be hacked to provide a remote control system for a pop-pop boat.

                                    Best wishes, old Frank