Our new members

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007

      We have four new members who were "tricked" into joining our motley
      crew by a message that I posted on the Yahoo discussion group,
      LittleEngines at <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleEngines/>.
      In the alphabetical order of their Yahoo IDs, our new members are:
      brian458666, gpomier, rogerkrahl and silntobsvr
      Thanks. new members for joining us on pop-pop-steamboats, and best
      wishes to all.

      old Frank (a great grandfather since 10/01/2007)
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007

        Welcome All.

        New members; Please tell us a little bit about your interests. As you'll find out we have members with a lot of knowledge and talent. Others of us have ideas and enthusiasm and are working on the rest.

        Thanks Frank....and congratulations. Now you truely are "great"!

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
          Frank McNeill wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > We have four new members who were "tricked" into joining our motley
          > crew by a message that I posted on the Yahoo discussion group,
          > LittleEngines at <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleEngines/>.
          > In the alphabetical order of their Yahoo IDs, our new members are:
          > brian458666, gpomier, rogerkrahl and silntobsvr
          > Thanks. new members for joining us on pop-pop-steamboats, and best
          > wishes to all.
          >
          > old Frank (a great grandfather since 10/01/2007)

          I've been interested in Pop-Pop boats for a long time, and always felt
          there was still a biggish hole in the explanations of how the engine
          works -- specifically, how can the steam in the tube cool enough to get
          water back into the hot section, if the hot section stays hot? That is,
          not a question of the reaction effect (the linear vs. hemispheric
          argument seems valid there), but rather of how the engine continues to
          operate indefinitely (pending fuel supply for the burner)...

          I might have to build one out of Pyrex tube sometime so I can see the
          water movement inside...

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
            From: "Donald Qualls" <silent1@...>

            > how can the steam in the tube cool enough to get
            > water back into the hot section, if the hot section stays hot? That is,
            > not a question of the reaction effect (the linear vs. hemispheric
            > argument seems valid there), but rather of how the engine continues to
            > operate indefinitely (pending fuel supply for the burner)...

            Well some engines don't run continuously. They may set off fine, and then
            stutter to a frustrating halt.

            One clue is that the engines work better with the right amount of air in
            them. (Quite what the right amount is, and whether it increases or
            decreases during a run is another matter altogether.)

            So the air and the water act as a spring-mass-damper system, with a
            resonant frequency.

            This of course is in addition to all the evaporation and condensation going
            on, but all the same it is a clue.

            The important thing about a resonance is that the Output is out of phase
            with the input: the movement is greatest when the pressure is least. If you
            find this counter-intuitive, I recommend spending a few years pushing kids
            on swings as being a better path to illumination than diving into the
            maths.

            There's an analogy here between a pop-pop and a "displacerless" Stirling
            engine. Resonance causes the air in the sole cylinder to move 90degrees out
            of phase with the piston, just like a crankshaft-driven displacer would.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
              David Halfpenny wrote:
> [...]

              Aaaah! Key here is that, having never actually operated a pop-pop, I
              wasn't aware they need some air in the system to operate. This makes
              perfect sense, then; the steam forces water out, but doesn't completely
              clear the tube (so no steam bubbles emitted) and the inertia of the
              water pulls the pressure in the tube well below ambient; this then
              causes water to rush back in and actually compress the remaining air (as
              well as condensing some of the steam), and if things are all well, the
              inertia of the inflowing water will be sufficient to bring enough into
              the hot zone of the boiler to power another cycle.

              As you say, the water remaining in the pipe is acting as the piston in a
              hybrid of a Stirling cycle and a phase-change system similar to the
              Rankine steam cycle.

              BTW, I've seen photos and drawings of very large steam pumping engines
              that used only the water as their pistons, but (of course) they used a
              separate boiler and a valving system of some sort to control the steam.
              The pop-pop sounds like it uses a similar cycle, but with steam
              controlled by access of water to the hot section.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                From: "Donald Qualls" <silent1@...>

                > This makes perfect sense, then;

                Yes.

                However few owners give any thought to air: it just happens, or not.

                With the diaphragm type motor, it would be hard to exclude all air as it
                will lurk in the recesses when the motor is first filled.

                However with the coil type it would be difficult to include any, but some
                will come out of solution as soon as the water is heated.

                It is possible that there are several different types of successful
                configuration - long tubes, short tubes, immersed tubes, inboard tubes etc
                and I can't get my head round it all. But as you say, folk who have made
                transparent motors have found them instructive.

                David 1/2d

                Jargon:

                A Stirling engine:
                - compresses a load of gas (usually air),
                - heats it up while compacted
                - lets it expand (providing a power stroke)
                - cools it down while expanded.
                Repeat.

                A Rankine engine:
                - boils a load of liquid (usually water),
                - lets the steam expand (providing a power stroke)
                - condenses it back into water
                - pumps it back into the boiler.
                Repeat.

                Either can be used either as a motor or be motor-driven to act as a heat
                pump shifting heat from a colder zone to a warmer one. For example a
                Rankine engine can be made either as a steam power plant or as a
                motor-driven refrigerator.

                There have been a lot more Rankine engines built than Stirling engines
                because it's a heck of a lot easier to pump liquid than to compress gas,
                and because a lump of steam holds a lot more heat than a lump of air at the
                same temperature.

                There: the fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering on a postcard!
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                  David Halfpenny wrote:
                  > Jargon:
                  >
                  > A Stirling engine:
                  > - compresses a load of gas (usually air),
                  > - heats it up while compacted
                  > - lets it expand (providing a power stroke)
                  > - cools it down while expanded.
                  > Repeat.
                  >
                  > A Rankine engine:
                  > - boils a load of liquid (usually water),
                  > - lets the steam expand (providing a power stroke)
                  > - condenses it back into water
                  > - pumps it back into the boiler.
                  > Repeat.
                  >
                  > Either can be used either as a motor or be motor-driven to act as a heat
                  > pump shifting heat from a colder zone to a warmer one. For example a
                  > Rankine engine can be made either as a steam power plant or as a
                  > motor-driven refrigerator.
                  >
                  > There have been a lot more Rankine engines built than Stirling engines
                  > because it's a heck of a lot easier to pump liquid than to compress gas,
                  > and because a lump of steam holds a lot more heat than a lump of air at the
                  > same temperature.
                  >
                  > There: the fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering on a postcard!

                  Well, at least as it stood ca. 1900, when internal combustion wasn't yet
                  a major player in the prime mover game. In fact, most steam engines
                  made over the past four hundred years have been an "open" version of the
                  Rankine cycle, with the pump back to the boiler and often the condenser
                  omitted in the interest of mechanical simplicity and/or reliability
                  and/or lightness. I'm sure that's the case, because there have almost
                  certainly been more steam engines built as locomotives and tractors than
                  all other applications together, and virtually all of those are open cycle.

                  Which, of course, doesn't change the elegance of an engine that can
                  drive a tiny watercraft with no moving parts other than the working fluid...

                  Worth noting relative to Stirling that the compression and expansion is
                  typically a pretty small percentage of the volume; most of the designs
                  I've looked at seem to run 3-5% volume change over the full stroke of
                  the power piston. Steam, by comparison, has an expansion (if I recall
                  correctly) of about 260:1 over the liquid phase; that makes steam
                  engines capable of immense effort at very low speed (at least those that
                  are designed for that kind of thing, minimum feature set including a
                  variable cutoff valve gear) while Stirling is closer to an internal
                  combustion engine in the way it runs -- that is, must keep up a pretty
                  good rotational clip to run at all, because each power stroke produces
                  relatively little energy.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                    From: "Donald Qualls" <silent1@...>

                    > most steam engines
                    > made over the past four hundred years have been an "open" version of the
                    > Rankine cycle, with the pump back to the boiler and often the condenser
                    > omitted in the interest of mechanical simplicity and/or reliability
                    > and/or lightness.

                    Yes indeed - letting the condensing happen in the atmosphere and
                    substituting alternative Working Fluid is technically cheating, just as
                    leaving a turbine wake behind and ingesting substitute air is.

                    > there have almost
                    > certainly been more steam engines built as locomotives and tractors than
                    > all other applications together, and virtually all of those are open
                    > cycle.

                    I'm sure you are right, but for such an influential piece of kit the number
                    of steam locomotives built has been surprisingly few. I've not seen any
                    estimate that exceeds a million. The humble pop-pop may well be (or soon
                    become) more numerous!

                    > Which, of course, doesn't change the elegance of an engine that can
                    > drive a tiny watercraft with no moving parts other than the working
                    > fluid...

                    Absolutely! D
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                      David Halfpenny wrote:
> [...]

                      Well, don't forget that most of steam's influence was in the days when a
                      few dozen of something important could change the world. But look at
                      what else steam has done -- powered ships (the bulk of which after about
                      WWII ran turbines instead of steam expanders) and operated stationary
                      power installations (either electric generation -- again, virtually
                      always turbine -- or things like mine engines); both of those are surely
                      fewer in number than even locomotives. One could make a case that there
                      have been more model steam engines built than there ever were full size
                      ones, though I don't know where you'd get the figures to back it up...

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                        From: "Donald Qualls" <silent1@...>

                        >> There: the fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering on a postcard!
                        >
                        > Well, at least as it stood ca. 1900, when internal combustion wasn't yet
                        > a major player in the prime mover game.

                        OK then: An Infernal Confusion engine:
                        - compresses a lump of air,
                        - heats it up a lot
                        - expands it (providing a power stroke)
                        - lets it escape along with the products of combusion (which may also
                        provide a reaction thrust)

                        The one closest to the pop-pop is the pulse-jet or doodelbug engine, which
                        also uses an oscillating column of fluid in a backwards-pointing tube. (My
                        parents weren't very fond of these as they were married in London in August
                        1944.) In this case, the resonant pressure wave opens and closes the air
                        inlet valve, sucks in and atomises the liquid fuel and compresses the
                        ingested air. Ignition is usually by contact between the explosive mixture
                        and the hot walls of the combustion chamber.
                        The result is very simple and powerful model boat engine that is several
                        decibels noisier than a pop-pop

                        David 1/2d

                        There are one or two additional details, but the core science behind post
                        mediaeval Mechanical Engineering isn't mechanics, or mechanisms, or
                        materials, important as they all are: it's thermodynamics.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                          David Halfpenny wrote:
> [...]

                          Of course, this cycle, like the Rankine, can be used either in "batch"
                          mode or in "continuous" mode. Common piston, rotary, and pulse-jet
                          engines operate in pulsed or "batch" mode, where a discrete "lump" of
                          working fluid goes through the entire cycle independent of other
                          charges, while ramjets, turbojets and turbofans and at least one variant
                          piston engine (an internal combustion version of an elbow engine)
                          operate in continuous mode, where all parts of the cycle operate on a
                          flowing stream of working fluid (rather like the difference between pot
                          distillation and a distillation column, or lab synthesis vs. an
                          industrial process).

                          > The one closest to the pop-pop is the pulse-jet or doodelbug engine, which
                          > also uses an oscillating column of fluid in a backwards-pointing tube. (My
                          > parents weren't very fond of these as they were married in London in August
                          > 1944.) In this case, the resonant pressure wave opens and closes the air
                          > inlet valve, sucks in and atomises the liquid fuel and compresses the
                          > ingested air. Ignition is usually by contact between the explosive mixture
                          > and the hot walls of the combustion chamber.
                          > The result is very simple and powerful model boat engine that is several
                          > decibels noisier than a pop-pop

                          The classic valved pulsejet actually has a front intake and almost
                          entirely one-way flow, and model airplane versions have a venturi
                          carburetor built into the intake at the forward end (the German design,
                          too large to work well with a flat reed valve, incorporated the fuel
                          delivery into the grid that held the valves, so didn't as much resemble
                          a simple venturi carburetor).

                          There are actually a couple valveless pulse jets that are even closer to
                          a pop-pop in operation; all compression and flow control is due to
                          pressure pulses in resonance with the pipe, and both pipe openings face
                          backward and produce thrust (though the designs I've seen have them
                          different lengths and the overall flow is from the shorter pipe to the
                          longer; there has to be some directional flow to keep drawing in fresh
                          air and fuel and removing combustion products, of course, but it could
                          be worth testing to see if this would be the case with our kind of
                          pop-pop, since tuning the tubes to product directional flow has the
                          potential to greatly increase the efficiency of the engine). The
                          resonance frequency in these, in hobbyist scales, tends to be in the
                          mid-upper audible range, leading them to produce a very distinctive
                          screaming sound in addition to the usual loud roar of any jet exhaust.

                          > David 1/2d
                          >
                          > There are one or two additional details, but the core science behind post
                          > mediaeval Mechanical Engineering isn't mechanics, or mechanisms, or
                          > materials, important as they all are: it's thermodynamics.

                          Yep, pretty much anything invented since James Watt improved the pumping
                          engine at the mine where he worked (by inventing, out of laziness, an
                          automatic valve gear to replace the continuous attention of a boy)
                          depends on thermodynamics, at least until you start getting into
                          practical electricity in the late 19th century. At that point,
                          Maxwell's laws of electromagnetism become the important ones...

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                            From: "Donald Qualls" <silent1@...>

                            All good stuff, and worth remarking - for the benefit of "Our new members"
                            in the subject line - that very little of our traffic is this
                            philosophical.

                            We major in the sheer delight of simple little boats, whether mass produced
                            from printed tinplate or cunningly homemade out of cardboard or balsa wood.

                            My 'Rattanndeep Enterprise' tinplate Titanic fell out of the cupboard today
                            (I caught her before she hit the deck).
                            http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/rattandeepenterprise/

                            I took a look at her workings. The burner is a 7/8" diameter tinplate tray
                            balanced precariously on the outlet pipes out of reach and out of sight,
                            and very close to the underside of the pop-chamber. So I think it's fair to
                            say that the chances of a successful run As Supplied are vanishingly
                            small - par for the course I suppose ;-)

                            I shall try to sail her in the kiddies' paddling pool in the park while
                            it's too cold for kiddies to paddle, but not cold enough to be drained for
                            the winter. I've got some brand new Wellies (gumboots) in case of
                            emergency!

                            David 1/2d
                            Chartered Mechanical Engineer
                          • brian458666@550access.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007

                              > There are actually a couple valveless pulse jets that are even closer to
                              > a pop-pop in operation;

                              Yes, and I had a moment of illumination just now as I was loading up my
                              coffee maker...although it does use a check valve, and the older style
                              percolators used a restricted inlet to work.
                              Brian
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                                brian458666@... wrote:

                                >> There are actually a couple valveless pulse jets that are even closer to
                                >> a pop-pop in operation;
                                >
                                > Yes, and I had a moment of illumination just now as I was loading up my
                                > coffee maker...although it does use a check valve, and the older style
                                > percolators used a restricted inlet to work.
                                > Brian

                                I've got a stovetop type percolator that has a very broad, flat funnel
                                covering the base and feeding into the vertical pipe, with liquid flow
                                under the funnel permitted only through a couple tiny openings or under
                                the edge if a pressure pulse should lift the pipe and basket clear of
                                the pot base. The electric percolator I used to own had a rather tiny
                                boiler chamber, roughly hemispherical, under the base of the pipe, and
                                again a couple small openings to admit liquid. To my eye, they depend
                                on the bulk of liquid in the pot being fairly well below boiling, so it
                                takes a few seconds (even when the pot has begun to perk) for inflowing
                                liquid to boil, after which rising bubbles push liquid out the top of
                                the pipe; as the coffee heats, bubbles push smaller and more frequent
                                slugs of liquid into the dome to drip through the grounds until the pot
                                stops working at all when the liquid is very close to boiling -- just
                                steam comes up the pipe, because the liquid can't fill the working
                                chamber, much less the pipe, before it boils.

                                An automatic drip coffee machine (a la Mr. Coffee) works similarly but
                                with a limited supply of water; mine seems to have an unrestricted
                                intake from the tank, and depends on the temperature of the water supply
                                to regulate the rate of boiling, which in turn regulates the temperature
                                of the water that gets poured into the grounds basket. It's a little
                                topsy-turvy, though; start with water that's too warm and you'll get
                                mostly steam and poor flow through the pipe, while starting with icy
                                cold water gives the best coffee because you get good slugs of water and
                                they heat up just right before the hot spot boils and pushes them
                                through. This pot, however (mine's a Melitta), seems to depend strongly
                                on the inertia of water in the tank as well as on heating most strongly
                                near the intake to produce a useful pumping action. I didn't see
                                anything I could identify as a check valve when I had it apart for
                                cleaning after a period of disuse...

                              • brian458666@550access.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                                  Quoting Donald Qualls <silent1@...>:

                                  > brian458666@... wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> There are actually a couple valveless pulse jets that are even closer to
                                  > >> a pop-pop in operation;
                                  > >
                                  > > Yes, and I had a moment of illumination just now as I was loading up
                                  > my
                                  > > coffee maker...although it does use a check valve, and the older style
                                  > > percolators used a restricted inlet to work.
                                  > > Brian
                                  >
                                  > I've got a stovetop type percolator that has a very broad, flat funnel
                                  > covering the base and feeding into the vertical pipe, with liquid flow
                                  > under the funnel permitted only through a couple tiny openings or under
                                  > the edge if a pressure pulse should lift the pipe and basket clear of
                                  > the pot base. The electric percolator I used to own had a rather tiny
                                  > boiler chamber, roughly hemispherical, under the base of the pipe, and
                                  > again a couple small openings to admit liquid. To my eye, they depend
                                  > on the bulk of liquid in the pot being fairly well below boiling, so it
                                  > takes a few seconds (even when the pot has begun to perk) for inflowing
                                  > liquid to boil, after which rising bubbles push liquid out the top of
                                  > the pipe; as the coffee heats, bubbles push smaller and more frequent
                                  > slugs of liquid into the dome to drip through the grounds until the pot
                                  > stops working at all when the liquid is very close to boiling -- just
                                  > steam comes up the pipe, because the liquid can't fill the working
                                  > chamber, much less the pipe, before it boils.
                                  >
                                  > An automatic drip coffee machine (a la Mr. Coffee) works similarly but
                                  > with a limited supply of water; mine seems to have an unrestricted
                                  > intake from the tank, and depends on the temperature of the water supply
                                  > to regulate the rate of boiling, which in turn regulates the temperature
                                  > of the water that gets poured into the grounds basket. It's a little
                                  > topsy-turvy, though; start with water that's too warm and you'll get
                                  > mostly steam and poor flow through the pipe, while starting with icy
                                  > cold water gives the best coffee because you get good slugs of water and
                                  > they heat up just right before the hot spot boils and pushes them
                                  > through. This pot, however (mine's a Melitta), seems to depend strongly
                                  > on the inertia of water in the tank as well as on heating most strongly
                                  > near the intake to produce a useful pumping action. I didn't see
                                  > anything I could identify as a check valve when I had it apart for
                                  > cleaning after a period of disuse...

                                  Yes, I had completely forgotten about the stovetop variety and was going
                                  with the electric ones only. Most of the electric percolators used a small
                                  boiler of under an inch in diameter that was at the very bottom of the pot. I
                                  haven't seen or used one of those in many years and further details are elusive
                                  now, and my Mr. Coffee type devices get a lot of use. It seems that each
                                  manufacturer incorporates their own flaws so my standard backup is a french
                                  press. But all of mine have check valves molded into the bottom of the
                                  reservoir.
                                  Brian
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                                    brian458666@... wrote:

                                    > It seems that each
                                    > manufacturer incorporates their own flaws so my standard backup is a french
                                    > press. But all of mine have check valves molded into the bottom of the
                                    > reservoir.

                                    I'll have to go look at mine; I couldn't get some pieces apart (they
                                    seem to be assembled with one-time latch-in parts, you'd break them
                                    before they'd fully disassemble), so it's very possible it has a check
                                    valve I missed. That would make a lot more sense in terms of avoiding
                                    bubbling back up through the tank, and it would only need a small
                                    plastic ball trapped in the joint between two pieces.

                                  • Double Diamonds
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
                                      i was also looking into the possibility of using pulse-jet designs to improve on putt-putt engine work and was considering that it might allow for a faster engine cycle and quiet running from the lack of a diafram might allow more speed