Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Home page image

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
      From: "Jean-Yves Renaud" <boite.de.j-y@...>

      > I call all
      these engines (with or without diaphragm) "pop-pop" engines.

      1st: I don't know another easy wording to call them.

      Pulse engine?

      Pulse-jet engine?

      The internal combustion version is often called a Pulse Jet engine.
      They have a flap valve rather than a diaphragm, and you certainly don't
      need a microphone to hear them coming!

      Hey look at this US Patent application under that name - look familiar?
      http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4057961.html
      Bet that poor sucker has paid his agent a lot of money to get thus far.

      See you in court guys!

      By the way, did you know that there's a rotary version of the pulse engine,
      using air rather than steam as the working fluid?

      David 1/2d
    • Xavier LUCAS
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
        Quelqu'un parle du Charles de Gaulle ? Bon d'accord mauvaise
        plaisanterie, pas le même chantier naval, beaucoup plus lourd et un
        peu moins rapide désolé...

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
          From: "Xavier LUCAS" <lucas.xav@...>

          Quelqu'un parle du Charles de Gaulle ? Bon d'accord mauvaise
          plaisanterie, pas le même chantier naval, beaucoup plus lourd et un
          peu moins rapide désolé...

          Êtes-vous parler le Français au cas les espions Anglais écouteraient -
          encore une fois ? ;-)

          Davide Demi-Sous
        • Jean-Yves Renaud
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...> wrote:

            Jean-Yves

          • Xavier LUCAS
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
              To be honest David, I am not sure that you guys in england and in the
              us know all that happend to this ship during his first trial at sea...
              that why I was writting in french.

              Xavier

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 24, 2007
                From: "Xavier LUCAS" <lucas.xav@...

                > To be honest David, I am not sure that you guys in england and in the
                us know all that happend to this ship during his first trial at sea...
                that why I was writting in french.

                I'm sure that I don't know the half of it.
                I just remember the disappointing propeller trouble and maintenance issues
                since.

                But somebody here will know: as I recall a party of British agents got
                thrown off for making unauthorised inspections of the nuclear plant. Oops!
                And we have an Anglo-French deal to build the next big European carrier as
                a joint venture of some kind.

                Alors, ve meet again, Meester Bond . . . .

                David 1/2d

                Charles de Gaulle is the spectacular aircraft carrier supporting French
                forces in Afghanistan.
              • Xavier LUCAS
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 24, 2007
                  Propeller trouble ?

                  Well they just lost one in the carribean sea...a few years ago during
                  the sea trial, then replace it with the propeller from another
                  aircraft carrier. ANd they are actually replacing it during a major
                  refit something like ten years after...

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 30, 2009
                    Hey Frank,

                    Thanks for the PR. The engine project is going well after a little bump in the road. We're going to have a public demo of the prototype on Oct 10th at the Clermont Historic Site. They asked if I would do a 1/2 presentation and field questions afterwards. Although I hate public speaking I agreed. Yesterday I got word that I am getting a $300 stipend for the presentation. I am putting it all into the projects acct.

                    Beside the original 5 volunteers who have donated their tie and material we have received support in the for of services, material and product from 9 companies. I believe that a company in the netherlands is making partss for me. I haven't rec'd confirmation but I was asked what material I needed the parts made in.

                    The Fulton Engine project has been extremely rewarding in many aspects. All of the support has been a pleasant surprise.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 30, 2009
                      A follow up to the support....3 new pictures uploaded th the Fulton's Followers folder.

                      All of the milled spokes and crescents were delivered to me at work. Two local machine shops donated their time to mill the notches that weren't able to do be done with the laser cutting process. the assemblies are comprised of the set-up hub from Florida, 8 spokes and 16 crescent pieces that were laser cut in Massachusetts and milled locally. They all assembled with out the necessity of tweaking. I used the minimum of hardware, just enough to hold the assembly together. It's hard to tell but in the one image I assembled the splice joint with two different approaches. At Approx 12:00 o'clock I assembled the bolt with its head up and no washer. At approximate 3:00 o'clock the bolt is assembled with the head on the far side with a flat washer and nut on the near side. Aesthetically I favor the washer and nut on the far side. The axle clamp (the silver disk)were made in Maryland. They will have the nut and washer on the outside. The test axle was made by a friend here in Woodstock.For reference the dimension across the spokes (end to end) is 15".