Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Home page image

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
      From: "Jean-Yves Renaud" <boite.de.j-y@...>

      > If there is cavitation in my pop-pop engines, it is marginal because I
      don't see any trace of metallic powder in the test tank. Even if it is
      loud enough to be heard, the power is relatively weak.

      > I have some experience with cavitation. Just an anecdote. I remember a
      full power test on a fast ship (2500 tons at 30 knots). After something
      like 8 hours at full speed (only 8 hours!) there were big holes at the
      propeller boss. In each hole I could put my whole hand (closed).

      My experience was with hydrodynamic brakes on trains.
      Basically the brake was a "fluid flywheel" coupling on the axle. When we
      filled it with liquid, the spiral motion of the fluid between the vanes
      slowed the train very effectively from high to low speed, then friction
      brakes took over to stop it. The vane discs of the brake were made of
      manganese bronze which is resistant to cavitation and used for propellers.
      They looked a bit like this:
      http://www.railcar.co.uk/pics/tech/engines/fluidflywheel/cutaway.jpg

      One day I was on a test train and my staff asked me to listen to a strange
      rumbling sound from the floor. I guessed that a brake disc had broken up.
      When we opened it up, we found the impeller disc completely gone, and in
      its place was a heap of beautifully rounded gleaming golden pebbles.

      The problem was the inertia of the heavy rotors, and we solved it by
      substituting aluminium bronze, which is much lighter.

      David 1/2d
      British Railways design engineer
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
        From: "Jean-Yves Renaud" <boite.de.j-y@...>

        > I call all
        these engines (with or without diaphragm) "pop-pop" engines.

        1st: I don't know another easy wording to call them.

        Pulse engine?

        Pulse-jet engine?

        The internal combustion version is often called a Pulse Jet engine.
        They have a flap valve rather than a diaphragm, and you certainly don't
        need a microphone to hear them coming!

        Hey look at this US Patent application under that name - look familiar?
        http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4057961.html
        Bet that poor sucker has paid his agent a lot of money to get thus far.

        See you in court guys!

        By the way, did you know that there's a rotary version of the pulse engine,
        using air rather than steam as the working fluid?

        David 1/2d
      • Xavier LUCAS
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
          Quelqu'un parle du Charles de Gaulle ? Bon d'accord mauvaise
          plaisanterie, pas le même chantier naval, beaucoup plus lourd et un
          peu moins rapide désolé...

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
            From: "Xavier LUCAS" <lucas.xav@...>

            Quelqu'un parle du Charles de Gaulle ? Bon d'accord mauvaise
            plaisanterie, pas le même chantier naval, beaucoup plus lourd et un
            peu moins rapide désolé...

            Êtes-vous parler le Français au cas les espions Anglais écouteraient -
            encore une fois ? ;-)

            Davide Demi-Sous
          • Jean-Yves Renaud
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007

              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...> wrote:

              Jean-Yves

            • Xavier LUCAS
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
                To be honest David, I am not sure that you guys in england and in the
                us know all that happend to this ship during his first trial at sea...
                that why I was writting in french.

                Xavier

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 24, 2007
                  From: "Xavier LUCAS" <lucas.xav@...

                  > To be honest David, I am not sure that you guys in england and in the
                  us know all that happend to this ship during his first trial at sea...
                  that why I was writting in french.

                  I'm sure that I don't know the half of it.
                  I just remember the disappointing propeller trouble and maintenance issues
                  since.

                  But somebody here will know: as I recall a party of British agents got
                  thrown off for making unauthorised inspections of the nuclear plant. Oops!
                  And we have an Anglo-French deal to build the next big European carrier as
                  a joint venture of some kind.

                  Alors, ve meet again, Meester Bond . . . .

                  David 1/2d

                  Charles de Gaulle is the spectacular aircraft carrier supporting French
                  forces in Afghanistan.
                • Xavier LUCAS
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 24, 2007
                    Propeller trouble ?

                    Well they just lost one in the carribean sea...a few years ago during
                    the sea trial, then replace it with the propeller from another
                    aircraft carrier. ANd they are actually replacing it during a major
                    refit something like ten years after...

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 30, 2009
                      Hey Frank,

                      Thanks for the PR. The engine project is going well after a little bump in the road. We're going to have a public demo of the prototype on Oct 10th at the Clermont Historic Site. They asked if I would do a 1/2 presentation and field questions afterwards. Although I hate public speaking I agreed. Yesterday I got word that I am getting a $300 stipend for the presentation. I am putting it all into the projects acct.

                      Beside the original 5 volunteers who have donated their tie and material we have received support in the for of services, material and product from 9 companies. I believe that a company in the netherlands is making partss for me. I haven't rec'd confirmation but I was asked what material I needed the parts made in.

                      The Fulton Engine project has been extremely rewarding in many aspects. All of the support has been a pleasant surprise.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 30, 2009
                        A follow up to the support....3 new pictures uploaded th the Fulton's Followers folder.

                        All of the milled spokes and crescents were delivered to me at work. Two local machine shops donated their time to mill the notches that weren't able to do be done with the laser cutting process. the assemblies are comprised of the set-up hub from Florida, 8 spokes and 16 crescent pieces that were laser cut in Massachusetts and milled locally. They all assembled with out the necessity of tweaking. I used the minimum of hardware, just enough to hold the assembly together. It's hard to tell but in the one image I assembled the splice joint with two different approaches. At Approx 12:00 o'clock I assembled the bolt with its head up and no washer. At approximate 3:00 o'clock the bolt is assembled with the head on the far side with a flat washer and nut on the near side. Aesthetically I favor the washer and nut on the far side. The axle clamp (the silver disk)were made in Maryland. They will have the nut and washer on the outside. The test axle was made by a friend here in Woodstock.For reference the dimension across the spokes (end to end) is 15".