Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Home page image

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 22, 2007
      From: "Jean-Yves Renaud" <boite.de.j-y@...>

      > you could hear the . . . "cliks" of collapsing bubbles

      Cavitation problems?

      If the boiler is removable, it might be as well to weigh it from time to
      time to see if it is getting thinner.

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007

        Hi Jean-Yves & group,

        Thanks for you explanation of a true pop-pop engine and the steamer. From this explanation would you consider the diaphragm engine the only true pop-pop? Is Dave Noyes's barrel engine a variation of this design? His doesn't use the venturi effect. Before your explanation I thought that the two differ Ø tubes were so that the boiler could be removed for filling. I missed the venturi effect defined by the "drawn air".

        I had picked up on the difference between this home page "steamer and pop-pops. Apparently the author did also. In the title he wrote (POP-POP?). I had hoped to stir up some comments...and did! Please keep them coming.

        It looks like this steamer engine is closed loop as it doesn't have an inlet. Does the capacity of this boiler have to been matched with the capacity of the fuel supply to prevent damage? I think that Dave Halfpenny was implying this with his resonse on wall degradation. It seems that you would want the fuel to run out before the water in the boiler. In the coil tube boiler with an inlet and an outlet the travel of the boat would be limited by the fuel supply as possible burn out wouldn't be as much of an issue.

        Your door knob engine looks like a piece of artwork. Like Xavier I would like to know how it works. Do you have a boat for an installation or do you have to design around the door knob?

        Pete

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007

          Google with the phrase "pursuit dynamics" for returns that provide
          some of the history of a company based on the invention of a below the
          waterline, steam-plus-air, jet propulsion system that has never earned
          a dime for anybody, except the inventor, who sold out for a quick
          profit. Rather than trying to develop the propulsion system, the
          company has tried to license the invention for a number of blending
          and food processing applications without much to show for their efforts.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007

            Here's an article that I E-mailed out back in August. As Frank says it doesn't look like the design is going anywhere fast!

            http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3321

            > Google with the phrase "pursuit dynamics" for returns that provide
            > some of the history of a company based on the invention of a below the
            > waterline, steam-plus-air, jet propulsion system that has never earned
            > a dime for anybody, except the inventor, who sold out for a quick
            > profit. Rather than trying to develop the propulsion system, the
            > company has tried to license the invention for a number of blending
            > and food processing applications without much to show for their efforts.
            >
            > Best wishes, Frank
            >

            > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B." georgeyyy@
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi Jean-Yves & group,
            > >
            > > Thanks for you explanation of a true pop-pop engine and the steamer.
            > > From this explanation would you consider the diaphragm engine the only
            > > true pop-pop? Is Dave Noyes's barrel engine a variation of this design?
            > > His doesn't use the venturi effect. Before your explanation I thought
            > > that the two differ Ø tubes were so that the boiler could be
            > > removed for filling. I missed the venturi effect defined by the "drawn
            > > air".
            > >
            > > I had picked up on the difference between this home page "steamer and
            > > pop-pops. Apparently the author did also. In the title he wrote
            > > (POP-POP?). I had hoped to stir up some comments...and did! Please keep
            > > them coming.
            > >
            > > It looks like this steamer engine is closed loop as it doesn't have an
            > > inlet. Does the capacity of this boiler have to been matched with the
            > > capacity of the fuel supply to prevent damage? I think that Dave
            > > Halfpenny was implying this with his resonse on wall degradation. It
            > > seems that you would want the fuel to run out before the water in the
            > > boiler. In the coil tube boiler with an inlet and an outlet the travel
            > > of the boat would be limited by the fuel supply as possible burn out
            > > wouldn't be as much of an issue.
            > >
            > > Your door knob engine looks like a piece of artwork. Like Xavier I would
            > > like to know how it works. Do you have a boat for an installation or do
            > > you have to design around the door knob?
            > >
            > > Pete
            > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"
            > > <boite.de.j-y@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > It is not a pop-pop boat. It is a steamer. The boiler delivers a steam
            > > > flow which is amplified by carrying air (Venturi effect). And it is
            > > the
            > > > mixture steam/air which propels the boat.
            > > >
            > > > The efficiency and the speed of such a boat can be quite better than
            > > the
            > > > one of a pop-pop boat...but there is no pop-pop sound.
            > > >
            > > > Jean-Yves
            > > >

            > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B." georgeyyy@

            > > > your

          • Jean-Yves Renaud
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007

              If there is cavitation in my pop-pop engines, it is marginal because I don't see any trace of metallic powder in the test tank. Even if it is loud enough to be heard, the power is relatively weak.

              I have some experience with cavitation. Just an anecdote. I remember a full power test on a fast ship (2500 tons at 30 knots). After something like 8 hours at full speed (only 8 hours!)  there were big holes at the propeller boss. In each hole I could put my whole hand (closed).

              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...> wrote:

> [...]

            • Jean-Yves Renaud
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007

                Hi Pete.

                I could be wrong for some purists, but for several reasons I call all these engines (with or without diaphragm) "pop-pop" engines.

                1st: I don't know another easy wording to call them.

                2nd: Whatever the size and the type of the engine there is a pressure variation which is the basic definition of a sound.

                3rd: If you put a mike into the water and connect it to an oscilloscope you could "see" the sound of any pop-pop engine (coil, drum, diaphragm...)

                English is not my mother language. If you have another generic name for the whole "pop-pop" family I'm ready to use it.

                Coming to the steam engine of the home page image, it is not a pop-pop engine. And there is no reason for it to be of the diaphragm type. (It could be, but it would be useless because there is no periodic pressure variation). Therefore, it can be strongly welded (not with soft metal) and this would allow it to work until there is no more water into the drum. Jeff Bindon's famous steamcar works like that. It stops (without destruction) when there is no fuel or no water; whichever condition comes first.

                The door knob engine works, but I didn't test it on a hull. Very seldom I used a hull to check my pop-pop engines. My main concern (today) is the engine itself.  When I'm satisfied of an engine I'll look for a hull...

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
                  From: "Jean-Yves Renaud" <boite.de.j-y@...>

                  > If there is cavitation in my pop-pop engines, it is marginal because I
                  don't see any trace of metallic powder in the test tank. Even if it is
                  loud enough to be heard, the power is relatively weak.

                  > I have some experience with cavitation. Just an anecdote. I remember a
                  full power test on a fast ship (2500 tons at 30 knots). After something
                  like 8 hours at full speed (only 8 hours!) there were big holes at the
                  propeller boss. In each hole I could put my whole hand (closed).

                  My experience was with hydrodynamic brakes on trains.
                  Basically the brake was a "fluid flywheel" coupling on the axle. When we
                  filled it with liquid, the spiral motion of the fluid between the vanes
                  slowed the train very effectively from high to low speed, then friction
                  brakes took over to stop it. The vane discs of the brake were made of
                  manganese bronze which is resistant to cavitation and used for propellers.
                  They looked a bit like this:
                  http://www.railcar.co.uk/pics/tech/engines/fluidflywheel/cutaway.jpg

                  One day I was on a test train and my staff asked me to listen to a strange
                  rumbling sound from the floor. I guessed that a brake disc had broken up.
                  When we opened it up, we found the impeller disc completely gone, and in
                  its place was a heap of beautifully rounded gleaming golden pebbles.

                  The problem was the inertia of the heavy rotors, and we solved it by
                  substituting aluminium bronze, which is much lighter.

                  David 1/2d
                  British Railways design engineer
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
                    From: "Jean-Yves Renaud" <boite.de.j-y@...>

                    > I call all
                    these engines (with or without diaphragm) "pop-pop" engines.

                    1st: I don't know another easy wording to call them.

                    Pulse engine?

                    Pulse-jet engine?

                    The internal combustion version is often called a Pulse Jet engine.
                    They have a flap valve rather than a diaphragm, and you certainly don't
                    need a microphone to hear them coming!

                    Hey look at this US Patent application under that name - look familiar?
                    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4057961.html
                    Bet that poor sucker has paid his agent a lot of money to get thus far.

                    See you in court guys!

                    By the way, did you know that there's a rotary version of the pulse engine,
                    using air rather than steam as the working fluid?

                    David 1/2d
                  • Xavier LUCAS
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
                      Quelqu'un parle du Charles de Gaulle ? Bon d'accord mauvaise
                      plaisanterie, pas le même chantier naval, beaucoup plus lourd et un
                      peu moins rapide désolé...

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
                        From: "Xavier LUCAS" <lucas.xav@...>

                        Quelqu'un parle du Charles de Gaulle ? Bon d'accord mauvaise
                        plaisanterie, pas le même chantier naval, beaucoup plus lourd et un
                        peu moins rapide désolé...

                        Êtes-vous parler le Français au cas les espions Anglais écouteraient -
                        encore une fois ? ;-)

                        Davide Demi-Sous
                      • Jean-Yves Renaud
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007

                          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...> wrote:

                          Jean-Yves

                        • Xavier LUCAS
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 23, 2007
                            To be honest David, I am not sure that you guys in england and in the
                            us know all that happend to this ship during his first trial at sea...
                            that why I was writting in french.

                            Xavier

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 24, 2007
                              From: "Xavier LUCAS" <lucas.xav@...

                              > To be honest David, I am not sure that you guys in england and in the
                              us know all that happend to this ship during his first trial at sea...
                              that why I was writting in french.

                              I'm sure that I don't know the half of it.
                              I just remember the disappointing propeller trouble and maintenance issues
                              since.

                              But somebody here will know: as I recall a party of British agents got
                              thrown off for making unauthorised inspections of the nuclear plant. Oops!
                              And we have an Anglo-French deal to build the next big European carrier as
                              a joint venture of some kind.

                              Alors, ve meet again, Meester Bond . . . .

                              David 1/2d

                              Charles de Gaulle is the spectacular aircraft carrier supporting French
                              forces in Afghanistan.
                            • Xavier LUCAS
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 24, 2007
                                Propeller trouble ?

                                Well they just lost one in the carribean sea...a few years ago during
                                the sea trial, then replace it with the propeller from another
                                aircraft carrier. ANd they are actually replacing it during a major
                                refit something like ten years after...

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 30, 2009
                                  Hey Frank,

                                  Thanks for the PR. The engine project is going well after a little bump in the road. We're going to have a public demo of the prototype on Oct 10th at the Clermont Historic Site. They asked if I would do a 1/2 presentation and field questions afterwards. Although I hate public speaking I agreed. Yesterday I got word that I am getting a $300 stipend for the presentation. I am putting it all into the projects acct.

                                  Beside the original 5 volunteers who have donated their tie and material we have received support in the for of services, material and product from 9 companies. I believe that a company in the netherlands is making partss for me. I haven't rec'd confirmation but I was asked what material I needed the parts made in.

                                  The Fulton Engine project has been extremely rewarding in many aspects. All of the support has been a pleasant surprise.
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 30, 2009
                                    A follow up to the support....3 new pictures uploaded th the Fulton's Followers folder.

                                    All of the milled spokes and crescents were delivered to me at work. Two local machine shops donated their time to mill the notches that weren't able to do be done with the laser cutting process. the assemblies are comprised of the set-up hub from Florida, 8 spokes and 16 crescent pieces that were laser cut in Massachusetts and milled locally. They all assembled with out the necessity of tweaking. I used the minimum of hardware, just enough to hold the assembly together. It's hard to tell but in the one image I assembled the splice joint with two different approaches. At Approx 12:00 o'clock I assembled the bolt with its head up and no washer. At approximate 3:00 o'clock the bolt is assembled with the head on the far side with a flat washer and nut on the near side. Aesthetically I favor the washer and nut on the far side. The axle clamp (the silver disk)were made in Maryland. They will have the nut and washer on the outside. The test axle was made by a friend here in Woodstock.For reference the dimension across the spokes (end to end) is 15".