Any winter project ?

  • Xavier LUCAS
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2007
      Hello everybody,

      As the weather is colder everyday here in southwest Wisconsin, I am
      thinking about my next winter project. Infact projects as I have to
      finish the actual boat, a motor sailor from billing boat. But this
      winter I will built a pop pop boat.

      I will base my project on a rowing boat and keep the rowing part of it
      to use it if something came wrong with the pop pop engine. This part
      will be also used as a rudder to radio control the model. The boat
      will be aroud 16" long and 6" width. I will construc the hull as light
      as possible but I think that the boat will weight aroud 1.5 lbs when
      finished. Concerning the pop pop, I haven't decide yet which style of
      design I will use but for sure there will be 2 exhaust pipes. I think
      that I will use this long winter here in the midwest to test different
      engines in the bath tube....

      And you guy, have you plan some construction as a winter project ?

      Xavier from Madison, WI
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2007

        Hi Xavier,

        We lived in the Northwest Illinois, about 20 miles south of Monroe, WI in Freeport, IL. We moved to Freeport in 1970 and to NY in 1978. We took our kids to the Madison Zoo on a few occasions. We also visited the U of Wisconsin Dairy Bar a couple of times. The have/had an out of this world cinnamon apple ice cream.

        Projects...

        My goal is to complete my CAD design of my copper North River pop-pop. It too will be about 16" long but 4" wide. At present I plan to design the coil tube engine intake and exhaust into the keel. My actual goal is to see if I can come up with a decent looking copper version of the Steamboat that works as a Pop-Pop. Once proven it will be a display model.

        I write progress reports once I'm back on track.

        Let's hear from more of you!

        Pete

        West Hurley, NY

        PS: Rec'd an E-mail from Freeport as I write!

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Xavier LUCAS" <lucas.xav@...> wrote:

        > Hello everybody,
        >
        > As the weather is colder everyday here in southwest Wisconsin, I am
        > thinking about my next winter project. Infact projects as I have to
        > finish the actual boat, a motor sailor from billing boat. But this
        > winter I will built a pop pop boat.
        >
        > I will base my project on a rowing boat and keep the rowing part of it
        > to use it if something came wrong with the pop pop engine. This part
        > will be also used as a rudder to radio control the model. The boat
        > will be aroud 16" long and 6" width. I will construc the hull as light
        > as possible but I think that the boat will weight aroud 1.5 lbs when
        > finished. Concerning the pop pop, I haven't decide yet which style of
        > design I will use but for sure there will be 2 exhaust pipes. I think
        > that I will use this long winter here in the midwest to test different
        > engines in the bath tube....
        >
        > And you guy, have you plan some construction as a winter project ?
        >
        > Xavier from Madison, WI

      • Xavier LUCAS
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2007
          Hello Pete,

          I haven't found the time to taste some ice cream at the university
          this summer (I know shame on me) but I can tell you that the Zoo is
          still there as I can eard their big cats from my appartments. Indeed I
          lived in this hood near the smallest lake (aka wingra lake) of the
          city. I haven't work this summer on my model boat neither on any pop
          pop project as I was to busy to sail the lakes (Madison, WI the four
          lakes city) with my tiny folding boat. So much fun with it for less
          than 200 bucks. If you guys want to make something easy to store in a
          closet and fun to buid and sail with your son, daughter or
          grandson(daugther), just search on google origami folding boat...

          Enjoy the october onth before the winter come over and freeze everything.

          Xavier