Re: Not sure

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007

      Frank,

      The vortex rings that you mention are similar to the vortex at the end of the wings on aircraft. The addition of winglets minimize the effect of the vortex rings.

      Blended Winglets

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
        Hi Pete,

        Similar maybe, but with opposite effects. Vortices from rigid wings
        generate drag. Vortices from flapping wings generate lift.
        Go to http://tinyurl.com/379eb2 for "Against All Odds: How Bugs Take
        Wing" and to http://tinyurl.com/ys85lf for "Optimal' vortex rings and
        aquatic propulsion mechanisms."

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007

            Hi David & Frank,

            It's fascinating how Science can contradict itself. In the case of vortices the configuration and dynamics determine whether they are a help or a hinderance.

            I was unaware of that phenomenon. Who said that you can't teach an old dog new tricks? How do bumblebees fly? What about hummingbirds? I watched 3 fly around flowers yesterday. It's amazing that they are able to maintain the wind speed that they do.

            Thanks for the contributions.