Not sure

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hi, Jean-Yves, Pete, Carl and all,

      I have also seen something about that elusive boat with a pop-pop
      boiler made of barrel heads and have searched for it several times
      with no results.
      The last search turned up something at http://tinyurl.com/2342fk about
      a method for generating vortex rings that might have changed history
      if James Rumsey had known about it. For a connection between vortex
      rings and propulsion Google for squids.

      Best wishes to all, old Frank
    • David Halfpenny
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007

        From: "Frank McNeill"
        > The last search turned up something at http://tinyurl.com/2342fk about
        > a method for generating vortex rings that might have changed history
        > if James Rumsey had known about it.
        He probably did know about it, since Gentlemen have been blowing smoke
        rings over their sherry for centuries. But he may not have picked up on the
        link to propulsion.
        David 1/2d
        non-smoker, non-drinker

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007

          Frank,

          The vortex rings that you mention are similar to the vortex at the end of the wings on aircraft. The addition of winglets minimize the effect of the vortex rings.

          Blended Winglets

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
            Hi Pete,

            Similar maybe, but with opposite effects. Vortices from rigid wings
            generate drag. Vortices from flapping wings generate lift.
            Go to http://tinyurl.com/379eb2 for "Against All Odds: How Bugs Take
            Wing" and to http://tinyurl.com/ys85lf for "Optimal' vortex rings and
            aquatic propulsion mechanisms."

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
              From: "Pete B."
              The vortex rings that you mention are similar to the vortex at the end
              of the wings on aircraft. The addition of winglets minimize the effect
              of the vortex rings.
              The crucial difference is that vortices impede a soaring creature but
              enable a swimming one.
              It's obvious that squid swim and eagles (with their winglet feathers) soar.
              What isn't obvious is that insects swim though the air ( hence the old joke
              about "according to the laws of aerodynamics a bumblebee is unable to fly,
              but fortunately nobody has told the bee").
              And that little birds chop and change. I caught a sparrow in my house last
              week and took it out of doors in a bucket. It flew straight up vertically
              like a helicopter (swimming) before gliding across the street (soaring).
              I suppose this is wandering off topic so I'll stop before we get on to
              propellers . . . ;-)
              David 1/2d

              E-mail message checked by PC Tools Spyware Doctor (5.0.0.186)
              Database version: 5.07560
              http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007

                Hi David & Frank,

                It's fascinating how Science can contradict itself. In the case of vortices the configuration and dynamics determine whether they are a help or a hinderance.

                I was unaware of that phenomenon. Who said that you can't teach an old dog new tricks? How do bumblebees fly? What about hummingbirds? I watched 3 fly around flowers yesterday. It's amazing that they are able to maintain the wind speed that they do.

                Thanks for the contributions.